Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:58 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,834,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
No it isn't. Lexington is very much NOT midwestern, Louisville has some midwestern elements but overall is Southern.
I lived in both areas, and it does not even begin to compare with the real south. I was shocked that southern Missouri had far more of a southern feel than Louisville or Lex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,850,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I thing most people associate the Old South with manners and etiquette over say growing cotton and owning slaves.
Good point, but I think the OP's expectations need to be tempered by a bit of realism. If you're pining for a place that's all Rhett and Scarlett you're likely to be disappointed. That Southern life probably never really existed--not to that degree at least--even during antebellum times. You'll be less likely to be disappointed if you're realistic enough to expect a place that lives in the 21st century, with a bit of a slant in the direction of valuing some basic good manners.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,005,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I lived in both areas, and it does not even begin to compare with the real south. I was shocked that southern Missouri had far more of a southern feel than Louisville or Lex.
If you are comparing Kentucky to Florida, of course they aren't going to feel the same!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
If you are comparing Kentucky to Florida, of course they aren't going to feel the same!
uuummmmmm, no, I am from Missouri, southeast to be exact. Louisville reminds me a great deal of Saint Louis, and I found Lexington to be very similar. Shoot, we all know there are more yankees in Florida than you can shake a stick at, so this is not southern at all.
I have traveled and spent a great deal of time in the South, I just got back from 2 weeks in Mississippi, now thats the South!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
uuummmmmm, no, I am from Missouri, southeast to be exact. Louisville reminds me a great deal of Saint Louis, and I found Lexington to be very similar. Shoot, we all know there are more yankees in Florida than you can shake a stick at, so this is not southern at all.
I have traveled and spent a great deal of time in the South, I just got back from 2 weeks in Mississippi, now thats the South!
Well, we will have to agree to disagree. My sister lived in the St Louis area for four years so I visited there several times myself and I disagree. As far as comparing us to Mississippi, we are definately not as Southern as they! As far as Louisville and Lexington, they aren't even that similar to each other!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Well, we will have to agree to disagree. My sister lived in the St Louis area for four years so I visited there several times myself and I disagree. As far as comparing us to Mississippi, we are definately not as Southern as they! As far as Louisville and Lexington, they aren't even that similar to each other!
I would respect anyones opinion from Shively, I lived there myself!
Did you think that STL had a Southern feel? we are always arguing about that in the Mo forums, would like to hear your opinion.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I would respect anyones opinion from Shively, I lived there myself!
Did you think that STL had a Southern feel? we are always arguing about that in the Mo forums, would like to hear your opinion.
Where in Shively did you live? I didn't really think it did myself but I didn't see all of it. The zoo, however was awesome for the little bit of it I actually got to see!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Where in Shively did you live? I didn't really think it did myself but I didn't see all of it. The zoo, however was awesome for the little bit of it I actually got to see!
I lived right off Rockford, on Dohn, we moved after about a year down to Old Louisville.
I never thought of STL as southern, but some on the Mo forum will argue that one to death! The zoo is totally awesome! I was born there, but grew up south of STL, hope you get to visit it again, I love the fact that its free!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I lived right off Rockford, on Dohn, we moved after about a year down to Old Louisville.
I never thought of STL as southern, but some on the Mo forum will argue that one to death! The zoo is totally awesome! I was born there, but grew up south of STL, hope you get to visit it again, I love the fact that its free!
Oh My gosh what a small world! I live off Dover myself, about two minutes from Dohn! Old Louisville is alot different from Shively though, that's for sure!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I would like to take a weekend and visit again (it would take that dang long to get through it!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.