U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:52 AM

2,242 posts, read 5,556,847 times

Advertisements

Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 12:42 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Las Vegas. Many people are fooled by the palm trees and think that it's just as warm as Southern California or the deserts of Arizona. Not true. The average high temperature in Vegas during January is about 53 or 54 degrees with average low temperatures around 35 or 36 degrees. That's roughly the same as Atlanta. 65 degrees in Vegas in January is not very common at all.

Vegas also tends to get freak snowfalls, which will grind the city to a halt. There was a snowstorm last winter that dropped about 3 or 4 inches of snow on the city. Drivers were so unprepared that many began sliding off the roads, with many abandoning their cars for the day in the middle of busy streets.

Las Vegas or Fargo?

YouTube - Las Vegas Snow Storm December 17, 2008, Part 2
That is very true! When I visited Las Vegas for the first time in November 1991, I remember that one night, it got REALLY cold because there was a powerful wind gust and it must have been around 30 mph at least. The temperature had dropped to about 25F. So it is a myth that Vegas is warm all year. The same thing can be said of Salem and Portland OR. Many people don't realize how cold it gets in those two cities. In December and January, you can expect highs between 40-45F and lows of 25F, sometimes even less than that. So Oregon does get cold, colder than what many people think.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,124,976 times
A lot of folks are caught off guard by the weather in Flagstaff, Arizona...especially those just passing through along I-40. Because of the elevation (7000') and the dry desert air, the lows in Flagstaff are cold year-round. According to some sources Flagstaff averages more nights below freezing than any other US city (210). It also averages around 100" of snow per year. Few homes have A/C as it rarely hits 90 and evening temps even in summer drop into the 40s & 50s...and sometimes even 30s!

Similarly, a lot of folks are caught off guard by the cold & snowy weather at the south rim of the Grand Canyon. It is only about 1000' lower than Flagstaff and sees very similar weather patterns.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:16 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,703,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypa76 View Post
DENVER IS FREEZING..........and I am from Pennsylvania! ALSO, they don't get more than 300 days of sunshine a year......that is bullsh*t.

Wow, i live in PA and i think its too cold here. I was thinking about moving to Colorado because i have heard good things about it, but if its colder than PA, i may have to reconsider.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:35 PM

1,609 posts, read 3,151,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
When it dips below 65, I start to get cold...

Me too! I used to live in Phoenix and feel the winter cold in Dallas.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:08 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,301,098 times
Florida

Old 12-31-2009, 04:24 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Texas.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
What cities in America are surprisingly colder than you would think?

My vote goes to Albuquerque. The average daytime highs in January are only 48! Most people think it's in the 60's or 70's in winter but this isn't true, mostly due to the elevation. ABQ is only about 300' below Denver in elevation. There are days when the daytime high is even colder due to storms. Thankfully by mid-Feb spring is in the air.

It snows there every winter , 7-11 inches per year, never sticks around for more than a few days at most but it gets colder in ABQ than most people would think.
We moved to Portland,Oregon a few months ago and are ready to leave next month.
Funny thing is many people warned my that it ""rains alot".
Okay.....I could deal with that.BUT...I was not prepared for the amount it rains EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ugh...This place has been good to us but the weather is awful.
If you like lots of rain and temps in the high 20's to low 30's,low rents away from EVERYTHING,okay transportation(if you use it excusively in the downtown area only),90% white population then welcome!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:59 AM

52 posts, read 155,618 times
My vote is a tie between three cities the ones I hear people talk the most about in amazement and I really don't know why? Atlanta tops my list. Atlanta sits at the foot of the blue ridge mountains with an elevation of 1000 to 2000 feet above the surrounding area I think the average January high is only 51 with a low of 30 they average almost a month of days at or below freezing and snow happens every year they can get up to 4 inches. The nickname hotlanta throws people off and a lot of people forget Atlanta is in northern Georgia not near the tropical of cancer. Lol Another city is las Vegas which has similar weather in winter to Atlanta but the only difference is that by it being at a high elevation and in the desert it can be cool even in the summer. Vegas has way more temperature extremes than phoenix. My third city would be los Angeles California its actually rainy and cool with temps around 60 in the day and 40 at night sometimes 30 you definately need your sweater and heavy jacket

Old 06-06-2011, 12:52 PM

37 posts, read 73,356 times
Nobody is surprised by Albuquerque's cold weather due to the fact people know Albuquerque is high elevation, hence is much cooler than low elevation southern cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.