U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:06 PM

91 posts, read 398,659 times

Advertisements

im too young to understand, so don't make me feel so stupid! =) but why are the big cities in the US such big gateways for immigrants? Besides the Mexicans going into Houston and Los Angeles, and Cubans living in Miami, thats a given. I'm talking about the other immigrants: Chinese, Polish, Dominicans, Italians, Vietnamese, Indians, etc...

They all seem to love New York, Cali, Houston, etc...all top 5 major cities in the US. Even in Vancouver and Toronto. I think Toronto just surpassed Miami as the biggest immigration city in the world i believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 PM

380 posts, read 964,558 times
Large cities offer more cultural acceptance to newcomers, along with work. New York has been an immigrant city since before the Civil War so nothing is new there. Smaller cities and towns are traditionally less open due to fewer work opportunities and very noticeable changes in cultural identity.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 PM

91 posts, read 398,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotater58 View Post
Large cities offer more cultural acceptance to newcomers, along with work. New York has been an immigrant city since before the Civil War so nothing is new there. Smaller cities and towns are traditionally less open due to fewer work opportunities and very noticeable changes in cultural identity.
Gosh, such an easy answer! Why couldn't I think of that? OR pay attention in history class? LOL
im a math and science kid anyways.
thanks!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:33 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,446,641 times
Larger cities like NY have social service organizations and churches that help immigrants relocate to a city that's more suitable for them. I met someone who came here from Poland in the early 1980s (lots of trouble there then) and couldn't speak a word of English. She landed in NYC and the Catholic Church placed her in Syracuse. She has done well and doesn't want to relocate, to anywhere, so I guess it was a good choice.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 AM

59,624 posts, read 84,471,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Larger cities like NY have social service organizations and churches that help immigrants relocate to a city that's more suitable for them. I met someone who came here from Poland in the early 1980s (lots of trouble there then) and couldn't speak a word of English. She landed in NYC and the Catholic Church placed her in Syracuse. She has done well and doesn't want to relocate, to anywhere, so I guess it was a good choice.
Yup, that is so true. Syracuse also has a small but noticable and growing Vietnamese/SE Asian community that came the same way. Same for many of the Sudanese and other African refugees here too. Certain cities like Minneapolis and Seattle are know for getting immigrants this way as well.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:27 PM

186 posts, read 580,358 times
Before the Civil War (and to an extent even after), the Northeast's cities (Philly, NYC, Boston, etc.) contained large factories while everywhere else contained plantations and smaller farms. Immigrants typically were poor coming to the USA and looking for a job. You have to have money to farm (or move waaaaaaay out West [west of the Mississippi River - but this takes money to get to this location]). So, the easy choice was for immigrants to move to cities and work in factories and make what little money they could to live the 'American Dream'.

Since their ancestors moved to cities (especially in the Northeast) at a very large rate compared to elsewhere in the country, maybe immigrants of today think this is still the best bet?

I dunno the real answer, but there's a little history in case anyone was asking lol.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 PM

33,136 posts, read 56,550,983 times
NY
LA
SF
Miami
Chicago

In that order, receive the most immigrants.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:04 PM

894 posts, read 2,136,445 times
well chicago has the most mexicans behind la and the most puerto ricans behind ny and illinois as as state is in the top 5 for hispanic immigration i think cali ny florida and texas are in front

Old 02-19-2009, 01:14 PM

2,795 posts, read 9,280,530 times
probably diversity as WELL as when moving into the country they may not have tons of money and the inner cities tend to be cheaper as well.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,419,948 times
Miami has a large Russian population. Huge Latin Population and its not all Cubans! Aregentinans, Columbians, Venezuelans, Mexicans etc.. I have met someone from just about every country in the Americas in Miami. Miami also has a huge Haitian population and the largest South African population inn the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or