Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 302 57.09%
Florida 227 42.91%
Voters: 529. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Texas, of course.

Florida may have more tourist destinations like Mickey Mouse and Miami, but when it comes to the meat and potatoes of day to day life and people and culture with personality and character, it's Texas.
but it is Mickey Mouse, he makes my life worth living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 12:32 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,925,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Well of course it does, have you even been out of Texas?

And no, everything is NOT bigger in Texas, I still don't know where that slogan came from!

I am so sick of TX, Texans think it is the center of the universe.
That speaks volumes.

You will be hard pressd to find a Floridian that thinks the same about Florida.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:16 AM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,257,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Texas cities are far better than Florida
Texas economy and diversity of job market are far better than florida
Weather is a tie
In diversity Houston alone blows away any place in Florida
In culture both Houston and Dallas blow away anything in Florida
Education, Texas has much better colleges and also better k-12 schools
People, generally much friendlier in Texas
Crime, Texas has lower crime

I really can't think of anything Florida beats Texas in except maybe beaches and definitely foreclosures

Economy: #2 Texas $1.15 Trillion, #4 Florida $754 Billion
Weather: Tie
Diversity: Texas and Florida tie, aint no blow away(if anything FL got the edge)
Culture: Florida wins big, you got it backwards
Education: Texas wins
People: Texas, but only certain areas.
Crime: About the same, but FL does favor the rankings(meaning is worse)

I like Texas, my family is originally from Texas City but Florida/Texas is just about the same.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:02 AM

4 posts, read 52,305 times
Default No Comparison; Texas wins!

I have lived on the east coast of Florida for 17 years and lived outside of Houston, Texas for 18. I have taught 6th grade science in FL on the coast and near NASA since arriving here and taught many years in Texas near the gulf and Johnson Space Center. So you would think some things should be similar....
Here's the truth about FLORIDA:
* It lacks state loyalty and pride because the majority of people are from somewhere else.
* Many Floridians check their hometown values at the border.
* Many worked a life time to retire here, but only to ignore education and the future of Floridian children when they arrive. They refuse to give up a penny on any tax even without having a state tax in FL. They do not realize that the value of their neighborhood school is directly related to the value of their home and future security, (crime, etc).
*Some of these transplants wanted to escape the horrible winters, (and I can't blame them since my early years were spent in the Chicago area) and sold a high-priced, (but not necessarily nice home) making enough profit to arrive in FL and buy a far less expensive home in a gated subdivision, but they often lack any class. They are pushy and crude.
* Most transplants have no respect for investing in FL goals and values. They want to believe that they are at Disney World year-round.
*They immediately forget, (or at least I hope they used to know how to dress appropriately for certain functions) and constantly sport touristy shirts & shorts; with flip-flops for almost every occasion; demonstrating no respect for things like interviews, weddings, graduations, church, parent conferences, etc.
* The rest of the transplants seem to be escaping something, (past crimes, pedophiles, etc.)
*When you have a state with very little pride everyone is only interested in themselves. The new transplants get caught up with environmental issues like sea-turtle nesting because it's so new to them and yes, it is a beautiful environment to enjoy, but they don't place value on the things that make other states great; children, family and education.
**** Take a look at the Casey Anthony case..... a person handling a sea turtle egg would get more punishment than she. (typical Florida jurors)
*** A big part of Florida lacks vision, pride and class.
I truly feel sorry for the natives!

Texas thrives on taking pride in
God, family, children and their home state... and it shows!

Even living on a beautiful barrier reef island nestled between the Atlantic and Indian River does not compare to the BEAUTY of Texas life and pride! Can't wait to return in the next few years!

Last edited by lorelei1954; 07-07-2011 at 01:14 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 AM

4 posts, read 52,305 times
Please see my post below and maybe you will begin to understand how & why Texans are able to feel such pride.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:31 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,308,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Well of course it does, have you even been out of Texas?

And no, everything is NOT bigger in Texas, I still don't know where that slogan came from!

I am so sick of TX, Texans think it is the center of the universe.
Your obsession with Texas is getting hilarious now.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 AM

61 posts, read 196,243 times
im biased, so texas
but this much i know is true, texas has so many varying climates and each area of texas has a very different personality, so it seems like it might be easy to find a spot that suits you. plus, the economy in texas is thriving, so its all good!

Last edited by social bunny; 07-12-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 07-12-2011, 03:18 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,909,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
but it is Mickey Mouse, he makes my life worth living
Don't kid yourself Htown, just look at the Where Disney will Build Next thread on City vs. City, Houstonians and other Texans are chomping at the bit for one.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:20 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,493,061 times
Texas. More diversity in places to live (climates, etc.)

Old 07-17-2011, 08:55 PM

410 posts, read 828,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
So far I am surprised by the poll results. The way Florida gets bashed on here, I expected Texas to take a big lead.....
Florida sucks - never been to Texas. I hear it's very friendly. But I live in South Florida. It's different in other parts of Florida. It's South Florida that sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.