U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 275 56.35%
Florida 213 43.65%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 03-05-2009, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Denver via Austin
3,113 posts, read 6,493,933 times
Reputation: 3526

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
Does this mean that if you can't complain about the Bush's, there is nothing in Texas to talk about that makes it either a good place to live or a bad place to live?
I think you have gotten plenty of reasons to live here on your threads in the Texas forum.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2009, 01:41 AM
 
717 posts, read 2,495,288 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I think you have gotten plenty of reasons to live here on your threads in the Texas forum.
You are absolutely right--I just had to go back several posts to recall all the great things being said before politics got in the way...thanks for your input...can't wait to visit!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 10:18 AM
 
Location: San Salvador, El Salvador
567 posts, read 1,345,093 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
Thank you for your response. As I said, I lived in Miami for 1 year in 2007. For a short time I lived out on Key Biscayne--very expensive to live--so it's upscale. When I would go into the 7-11 on Key Biscayne, I would often find that the clerks did not know how to speak English. I spent 5 months near Miami airport and 5 months in Coconut Creek--close to Boca Raton. I can tell you for a fact, there are a lot more areas than what you have indicated where it would not be unusual for me to run into people who DID NOT SPEAK ENGLISH.

My school was very close to the WalMart near the airport--people would approach me all the time speaking Spanish--and I have extremely limited Spanish vocabulary--we could not communicate. It is very frustrating to be living down there and unable to get a job because you are not bilingual. It is almost a requirement down in Miami area. I never used to believe people when they told me you almost had to speak Spanish in the Miami area. It is true.

I am familiar with the feel of Florida, it is Texas that I know almost nothing about--so that is why I am asking for comparisons for people who have lived in both places.


I lived in both places; I lived in San Antonio, TX to be exacted and both have there Hispanic population Cuban,P. Ricans and South Americans in Florida and Mexicans in Texas..

Your story of South Florida is weird, because like I said I lived there from birth to the age of 23, Especially in Broward County and a majority white area like Coconut Creek. Again your feelings about South Florida and learning spanish is a LIE! You were in Florida for a year, I was there for 23, so I think I know South Florida better than you. I been all across Florida and NEVER found myself at a store where no one speaks English.

The Dallas/Fort Worth area sounds like your type of city...Everyone there are friendly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Irvine,Oc,Ca
1,423 posts, read 4,229,952 times
Reputation: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
including the butts?

Most Def
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 07:09 PM
 
Location: vista
514 posts, read 667,077 times
Reputation: 249
Question immature

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Inferiority complex and jealous that our state isn't tanking like the crackhouse republic of kalifornia

Every time I think of kalifornia and all the problems the Liberals are riddling that state with it makes me laugh

That's because you're so immature. I don't rejoice in any other state's problems. I didn't shout for joy when you all got hit by the hurricane. Grow up!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
That's because you're so immature. I don't rejoice in any other state's problems. I didn't shout for joy when you all got hit by the hurricane. Grow up!
Natural disasters can't be prevented

Fiscal irresponsibility, pollution and whacked liberals can be prevented

Big difference there Stanley
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 07:27 PM
 
Location: vista
514 posts, read 667,077 times
Reputation: 249
You're still rejoicing in other people's problems and that is either because you're immature or have a character flaw. I still am wondering what happened to you in PB that made you so bitter.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
You're still rejoicing in other people's problems and that is either because you're immature or have a character flaw. I still am wondering what happened to you in PB that made you so bitter.
Since the people out there voted those clowns in office they reap what they sow unfortunately

Because I don't like California that makes me bitter?

I guess whenever someone does not like Texas or any other state that automatically makes THEM bitter as well right?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2009, 11:54 PM
 
717 posts, read 2,495,288 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
I lived in both places; I lived in San Antonio, TX to be exacted and both have there Hispanic population Cuban,P. Ricans and South Americans in Florida and Mexicans in Texas..

Your story of South Florida is weird, because like I said I lived there from birth to the age of 23, Especially in Broward County and a majority white area like Coconut Creek. Again your feelings about South Florida and learning spanish is a LIE! You were in Florida for a year, I was there for 23, so I think I know South Florida better than you. I been all across Florida and NEVER found myself at a store where no one speaks English.

The Dallas/Fort Worth area sounds like your type of city...Everyone there are friendly.
Wo there...calling someone a liar is not cool at all. I don't know how old you are now, but what I said was 100% true and I would personally challenge you to disprove any one of my statements above. I Lived in south Florida for a year and go back down several times a year (from Orlando)--and I usually stay with friends in Miami Lakes.

First of all, Broward county is not South Miami--where the overwhelming majority is Spanish speaking. Miami Lakes is more white than some other areas of south Miami--so here's my experience from last Sunday evening. I was coming back to my friends condo and a lady driving an SUV pulls up beside me, rolls down here window and wants me to stop. It is early evening and dark--this lady, approx my age, maybe a few years older, just starts rambling off to me in Spanish. I gave her a blank stare and finally said "no Espanol"...she continued right on communicating in Spanish--like expecting me to figure out what she was saying. Again, "no Espanol". Finally, thru hand signals she lets me now she is driving around in circles--she cannot find the way to exit. I could not tell her--I had to physically get out of my SUV and show her--mind you--this is in Miami Lakes. Since this lady was lost, you would think that if she spoke English, she would have started using it--since she is the one that needed help--not me. Furthermore, I don't care what you say, many many jobs in South Florida have "must be Bilingual" in the job description.

I enjoyed my 1 year of living in Miami and Coconut Creek--went back to check it out last week again as a place to move back to because in my industry (beauty) I can make a fortune down there--easily.

Also, I have been in Florida since June,2001--that is way more than 1 year. I find the same language issues here in Orlando--but no where near the extent they are in South Florida. I've been coming to Florida since 1973 and have had relatives living here since the 60's. Again, I don't know how old you are, but somehow I think I am older and obviously wiser--as I would not call someone a liar because their view or perspective differed from mine. Not that it matters,but I also lived here for 1 year in 1983 and again in 1990. That adds up to 10 years of solid living in the Sunshine state.

Now, funny thing, the Keys appear to be mostly white--so if you go far enough south you will hit that white majority again.

Why don't you go spend some time in the WalMart off of 87th near the Dolphin Expressway in Doral--see how many people don't know English there--better yet, go right across the Dolphin on 87th and South---BIGTIME SPANISH speaking. And even better than that--get yourself over to Dolphin and International Mall

What other feelings about South Florida are you talking about? I don't dislike it and I haven't bashed it.

Just don't even try to tell me that someone who has not lived around a major hispanic population will NOT notice the many cultural differences in a hispanic area.

Can you point me to a link that shows Coconut Creek is MOSTLY white? Cause if it is--it isn't by a whole lot. Thanks

Here's the BIGGEST LAUGH OF ALL--up north I took one year of Spanish as a freshman in HS--1973. I live in Florida, have 4 very birght kids and not one of them took Spanish--they have all taken GERMAN--GO FIGURE!

Anyway, thanks for the Dallas info--I have a friend from high school who lived there for several years and enjoyed it. I also have friends in Austin and Houston who love Texas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 11:55 AM
 
Location: San Salvador, El Salvador
567 posts, read 1,345,093 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
Wo there...calling someone a liar is not cool at all. I don't know how old you are now, but what I said was 100% true and I would personally challenge you to disprove any one of my statements above. I Lived in south Florida for a year and go back down several times a year (from Orlando)--and I usually stay with friends in Miami Lakes.

First of all, Broward county is not South Miami--where the overwhelming majority is Spanish speaking. Miami Lakes is more white than some other areas of south Miami--so here's my experience from last Sunday evening. I was coming back to my friends condo and a lady driving an SUV pulls up beside me, rolls down here window and wants me to stop. It is early evening and dark--this lady, approx my age, maybe a few years older, just starts rambling off to me in Spanish. I gave her a blank stare and finally said "no Espanol"...she continued right on communicating in Spanish--like expecting me to figure out what she was saying. Again, "no Espanol". Finally, thru hand signals she lets me now she is driving around in circles--she cannot find the way to exit. I could not tell her--I had to physically get out of my SUV and show her--mind you--this is in Miami Lakes. Since this lady was lost, you would think that if she spoke English, she would have started using it--since she is the one that needed help--not me. Furthermore, I don't care what you say, many many jobs in South Florida have "must be Bilingual" in the job description.

I enjoyed my 1 year of living in Miami and Coconut Creek--went back to check it out last week again as a place to move back to because in my industry (beauty) I can make a fortune down there--easily.

Also, I have been in Florida since June,2001--that is way more than 1 year. I find the same language issues here in Orlando--but no where near the extent they are in South Florida. I've been coming to Florida since 1973 and have had relatives living here since the 60's. Again, I don't know how old you are, but somehow I think I am older and obviously wiser--as I would not call someone a liar because their view or perspective differed from mine. Not that it matters,but I also lived here for 1 year in 1983 and again in 1990. That adds up to 10 years of solid living in the Sunshine state.

Now, funny thing, the Keys appear to be mostly white--so if you go far enough south you will hit that white majority again.

Why don't you go spend some time in the WalMart off of 87th near the Dolphin Expressway in Doral--see how many people don't know English there--better yet, go right across the Dolphin on 87th and South---BIGTIME SPANISH speaking. And even better than that--get yourself over to Dolphin and International Mall

What other feelings about South Florida are you talking about? I don't dislike it and I haven't bashed it.

Just don't even try to tell me that someone who has not lived around a major hispanic population will NOT notice the many cultural differences in a hispanic area.

Can you point me to a link that shows Coconut Creek is MOSTLY white? Cause if it is--it isn't by a whole lot. Thanks

Here's the BIGGEST LAUGH OF ALL--up north I took one year of Spanish as a freshman in HS--1973. I live in Florida, have 4 very birght kids and not one of them took Spanish--they have all taken GERMAN--GO FIGURE!

Anyway, thanks for the Dallas info--I have a friend from high school who lived there for several years and enjoyed it. I also have friends in Austin and Houston who love Texas.

Coconut Creek, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny you mention Doral, because I said areas around Hialeah and Little Havana are Hispanic areas and those parts of Dade county will be the only areas that you wouldn't come across anyone who speaks English.. Opa-Locka included.

However the cities of Miami, Miami Beach, Aventura, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, South Miami, Homestead, Florida City, Bal Harbour, Sunny Isles North Miami Beach, Noth Bay Villiage Miami Shores and Sweet Water will always have someone near by that speaks English in my experiences atleast.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top