U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 275 56.35%
Florida 213 43.65%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2013, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
320 posts, read 480,319 times
Reputation: 116

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I would like your input--esp. if you have lived in both Texas and Florida. I spent most of my life in a small-town in Illinois. After that I spent 11 years in Pennsylvania; the last 8 years in Florida--and 6mos in Raleigh/Cary during 2004.

I just have this feeling that Florida is not where I want to spend the rest of my life or I would have attempted to put down roots by now. I enjoy not having winter--at least in the sense of winter that lasts for months and months. Short-term cool/cold weather is ok--but grey skies that last for weeks and weeks is not ok.

I realize that both Florida and Texas are big states with lots of different personalities from city to city within its own state borders, but I would like to know which of the two states you prefer to live in and Why? Also please list the cities you lived in each state.

I have spent a great deal of time traveling the southeastern states, but for some reason I can't allow myself to make any kind of relocation decision without considering Texas--which unfortunately, I have not spent much time in at all. Right now I am planning a month-long trip to Texas and hope to leave between 2-25 & 2-28.

Any input as to the vibes of each state would be most welcome. Thanks
Texas has a better job market and a lower cost of living.

For the money: texas

For quality of life: Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Reputation: 36087
I've lived in both, Florida for 2 years and Texas for six. However, I lived in "The Real Florida", near the Georgia line, which was just like living in Georgia, and it was rare to see a car with northern plates. Northern retirees had no significant presence in the town, and it was demographically 50/50.

But I visited South Florida a few times, and I would definitely say Texas is superior in every respect, as a place to live.

However, in making these comparisons, you have to remember that Orange, Texas, is closer to Orlando (and more similar to it) than to El Paso, Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Cbus
1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
Reputation: 2089
It depends on the specific community/region of the state.

I have absolutely no desire to live near the Mexican border, in the arid climate of West Texas, deep east Texas, or any conservative and or religious community in the state. I found Austin, San Antonio, and Hill Country to be lovely and would be interested in seeing what Houston and the DFW Metroplex have to offer.

I would not want to live in Northern Florida besides certain beach communities and parts of Jacksonville. I could see myself living in Orlando, Tampa, or the South Florida metro area (Miami, FTL, West Palm). I find most of southwest Florida to be too old demographically but its beaches are absolutely gorgeous and I love vacationing there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 PM
 
1,027 posts, read 1,648,215 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
It depends on the specific community/region of the state.

I have absolutely no desire to live near the Mexican border, in the arid climate of West Texas, deep east Texas, or any conservative and or religious community in the state. I found Austin, San Antonio, and Hill Country to be lovely and would be interested in seeing what Houston and the DFW Metroplex have to offer.

I would not want to live in Northern Florida besides certain beach communities and parts of Jacksonville. I could see myself living in Orlando, Tampa, or the South Florida metro area (Miami, FTL, West Palm). I find most of southwest Florida to be too old demographically but its beaches are absolutely gorgeous and I love vacationing there.
Florida does have lot of old people that will be one culture shock if you not use to it.I'm surprised how economy Florida will support it self in future when all these old people will turn age 80.

More young people will have to move to Florida or have to bring in more immigrants or the economy of Florida will collapse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Boca
490 posts, read 897,249 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I'm surprised how economy Florida will support it self in future when all these old people will turn age 80.

More young people will have to move to Florida or have to bring in more immigrants or the economy of Florida will collapse.
You can't be serious, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM
 
1,027 posts, read 1,648,215 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
You can't be serious, right?
I don't want be rude but where have you been living these past years .This problem is not just the state of Florida but like that in Europe , all of US and in Canada people are not pumping out large family like before and one kid if you lucky may be two kids in family.

This was one of the main reasons for immigrants .Old people are burden on our system and who is going to take those jobs.

It hard for immigrants to take skilled jobs because their education means nothing and because of language issues they take low paying non skilled jobs and this get flooded.It makes it even harder when manufacturer jobs go to China or India where this has now been case for some time now and getting worse now.

If you don't want immigrants than simple start to have 5 or 6 kids or you going to have all these old people in nursing home and not even doctors and nurses to look after them because they too would be in old age home.It not just the US it like that in Europe and Canada.

In state of Florida it is even worse because lot of old people move to Florida to retire and that why Florida has lot older people.

Much of Florida economy is base on tourism and people who retire that not good thing has who going look after these people when they get old.Where are you going to get those building engineers ,building inspectors ,doctors , surgeons ,specialists , IT specialists ,lawyers , judges , bankers ,traffic engineers ,architects ,electrician so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 PM
 
1,512 posts, read 7,265,914 times
Reputation: 1122
Although Texas has much better economy, I still prefer Florida. No matter where you live in Florida, you're never that far from different bodies of water, unlike most of Texas. Plus there's nothing like the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area in the Lone Star State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 05:07 PM
 
1,512 posts, read 7,265,914 times
Reputation: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
Texas. More diversity in places to live (climates, etc.)
Yeah, right. As in hot, hotter and hot as HE double hockey sticks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 05:09 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I don't want be rude but where have you been living these past years .This problem is not just the state of Florida but like that in Europe , all of US and in Canada people are not pumping out large family like before and one kid if you lucky may be two kids in family.

This was one of the main reasons for immigrants .Old people are burden on our system and who is going to take those jobs.

It hard for immigrants to take skilled jobs because their education means nothing and because of language issues they take low paying non skilled jobs and this get flooded.It makes it even harder when manufacturer jobs go to China or India where this has now been case for some time now and getting worse now.

If you don't want immigrants than simple start to have 5 or 6 kids or you going to have all these old people in nursing home and not even doctors and nurses to look after them because they too would be in old age home.It not just the US it like that in Europe and Canada.

In state of Florida it is even worse because lot of old people move to Florida to retire and that why Florida has lot older people.

Much of Florida economy is base on tourism and people who retire that not good thing has who going look after these people when they get old.Where are you going to get those building engineers ,building inspectors ,doctors , surgeons ,specialists , IT specialists ,lawyers , judges , bankers ,traffic engineers ,architects ,electrician so on.
Being a great place to retire doesn't mean FL is mostly older residents...and your reference to old people as a "burden to our system" is just highly offensive.

I have never heard anything about FL having shortages of doctors, architects, or any of the other professionals you listed. Do you have a source for that information is it just coming out of your butt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Boca
490 posts, read 897,249 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Although Texas has much better economy, I still prefer Florida. No matter where you live in Florida, you're never that far from different bodies of water, unlike most of Texas. Plus there's nothing like the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area in the Lone Star State.
I just can't over the litter, graffiti, air pollution, traffic, gangs, potholes, cracked road surfaces, water shortages, vast array of severe weather events, fracking-induced earthquakes, et al.

IMO, Texas truly is a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top