U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 275 56.35%
Florida 213 43.65%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2015, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,512,766 times
Reputation: 1861

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Florida and Texas are very similar. I found almost no difference between living in Dallas and Orlando/Miami when it came to religiosity. Also, it doesn't sound like OP will be living in the rural areas of Texas, so this really is a nonissue. And unless you're living in Miami, Orlando, or Tampa, the rural areas of Florida are pretty similar, both in the panhandle and peninsula (Ocala, around Okeechobee, Ft Myers, etc.)
The southwest coast of Florida is one of the least religious places in the country. It's very republican, but not at all religious. Most families that live there are non-practicing Catholics like my own (I live in southwest florida).

I don't buy that Okachobee and Ocala are all that religious either. All the peninsula these days is saturated with northern transplants and that continues to this day.

And when I was in Dallas I met a lot of gay men who weren't out to their baptist parents. You never see that type of thing in Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2015, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Reputation: 9577
I had family in Clewiston. It wasn't much different from the small towns in Texas. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,512,766 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
That's not true. Dallas is huge for telecom, Austin has become a smaller version of Silicon Valley, Houston has diversified from energy. Texas is on another level in terms of job quality.
Houston hasnt diversified from energy at all. That is obvious enough with how bad it's economy has done this year with oil busting.

Austin is soooo far from Silicon Valley it is not even a comparison. That city has marketed itself as something so different from what it is. If not for having oil jobs close by and the university at its heart Austin would be nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,512,766 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I had family in Clewiston. It wasn't much different from the small towns in Texas. Sorry.
Where is your family from? Clewiston, with is 6,000 inhabitants, isn't representative of Florida in the first place. Not small town florida, small city florida, or big city florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 PM
 
18 posts, read 17,593 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Houston hasnt diversified from energy at all. That is obvious enough with how bad it's economy has done this year with oil busting.

Austin is soooo far from Silicon Valley it is not even a comparison. That city has marketed itself as something so different from what it is. If not for having oil jobs close by and the university at its heart Austin would be nothing.
Houston has indeed diversified from energy; lots of manufacturing, life science, and retail industries have come forth since the bust of the 80s. Yes, energy is still a significant portion of the economy, but the different industries exist as well The economy currently is just in cool down from a red-hot high, not really dangerously under-performing as people like to state.

Your statement is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Where is your family from? Clewiston, with is 6,000 inhabitants, isn't representative of Florida in the first place. Not small town florida, small city florida, or big city florida.
Small towns in Texas aren't representative of the state as a whole either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,512,766 times
Reputation: 1861
More so than Florida! Texas has hundreds of towns like that. Florida's peninsula has a handful. I like living in a state where I can venture outside of the major cities and not feel like I went back in time 20 years and understand what people are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 07:32 PM
 
18 posts, read 17,593 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
More so than Florida! Texas has hundreds of towns like that. Florida's peninsula has a handful.
Obviously. Texas is a big state, with larger population and land area than Florida, so it is expected to have more towns and large cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I like living in a state where I can venture outside of the major cities and not feel like I went back in time 20 years and understand what people are saying.
Texas is as good for this as Florida is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 09:04 AM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,567,437 times
Reputation: 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
The southwest coast of Florida is one of the least religious places in the country. It's very republican, but not at all religious. Most families that live there are non-practicing Catholics like my own (I live in southwest florida).

I don't buy that Okachobee and Ocala are all that religious either. All the peninsula these days is saturated with northern transplants and that continues to this day.

And when I was in Dallas I met a lot of gay men who weren't out to their baptist parents. You never see that type of thing in Orlando.

that whole myers/naples area is one of the most solidly republican and conservative parts of the state, who cares if they are non practicing religious if they are voting for rick scott and jeb bush? that area is a haven for midwestern retirees and a very conservative area

southwest florida also has one of the oldest populations in the country, the median age is 64 years old for naples. You put down austin as a place to live but the median age is less than half at 31 years old.

Austin is a beacon for millennials, and one of the best STEM economies in the country. everything from dell to biotech to whole foods, tons of young people from the university and one of the best start up cultures in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 10:41 AM
 
699 posts, read 439,894 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
that whole myers/naples area is one of the most solidly republican and conservative parts of the state,
Collier County [Naples] and Lee County [Ft. Myers] are solidly Republican leaning but not even close to the "most solidly republican conservative parts of the state." Pretty much all those counties are in the panhandle and there is a huge difference between those panhandle counties both in voting patterns [80 vs 20 compared to 60 vs 40] and overall conservative feel compared to SW Florida.

You could compare Collier and Lee counties to Orange County back in California [not in Florida] in terms of voting patterns. Orange County is a Republican stronghold, but you're not going to feel like you entered the Bible belt when stepping foot there. Same for Collier and Lee counties.

Btw, I tend to be on the libertarian/conservative side of the political spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 10:48 AM
 
699 posts, read 439,894 times
Reputation: 243
I prefer Florida - better climate [for me], beaches, more interesting cities [international Miami, down to earth/beachy Tampa, very resorty/fake/amusement park driven Orlando, and good ole' deep southern Tallahassee ], doesn't feel as isolated to me (quicker flights to east coast, europe, latin america) etc.

I can see why people prefer Texas. Texas has a better economy, a strong state culture and pride, better COL ratio due to the economy and abundance of land, Austin is a great city and Dallas/Houston are world players, varied landscape [but you have to drive a lot for it], easier access to the west and the mountains, not as many tourists and retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top