U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 275 56.35%
Florida 213 43.65%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:28 PM

1,110 posts, read 909,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Houston hasnt diversified from energy at all. That is obvious enough with how bad it's economy has done this year with oil busting.

Austin is soooo far from Silicon Valley it is not even a comparison. That city has marketed itself as something so different from what it is. If not for having oil jobs close by and the university at its heart Austin would be nothing.
This is unbelievably wrong. Where are you getting your information?

Austin has very little reliance on oil. There is a strong high tech, pharmaceutical, and biotech presence in Austin.

Houston's largest economic sector is energy, but it also has a focus on medical and aerospace.

All of which are higher paying than the major Florida cities concentration on tourism and service industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 05:44 PM

1,795 posts, read 2,569,127 times
Quote:
Houston hasnt diversified from energy at all. That is obvious enough with how bad it's economy has done this year with oil busting.

Austin is soooo far from Silicon Valley it is not even a comparison. That city has marketed itself as something so different from what it is. If not for having oil jobs close by and the university at its heart Austin would be nothing.
Dude you don't know what you talking about. You live in Florida but you know everything about the Texas economy? That's priceless. Stop while your head.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:12 PM

18,639 posts, read 27,073,493 times
Quote:
Where is your family from? Clewiston, with is 6,000 inhabitants, isn't representative of Florida in the first place. Not small town florida, small city florida, or big city florida.
I have family all over Florida. Dade, Broward, St. Lucie, Orange, Duval, Hendry counties. Clewiston isn't anymore representative of Florida as Silsbee is in Texas. The population of both states are in the major metro and minor metro areas.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:46 PM

48 posts, read 27,847 times
I have mixed opinions of both states, and both states, being large, have cities and other areas distinct from others. In general however my opinion of both states leans negative. I voted TX in this poll because of the general fear of flooding via global warming.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:14 PM

5,297 posts, read 3,515,512 times
Quote:
The southwest coast of Florida is one of the least religious places in the country. It's very republican, but not at all religious. Most families that live there are non-practicing Catholics like my own (I live in southwest florida).
Interesting. Then why are there more Baptist Churches than any other religion in Collier County?

Quote:
I don't buy that Okachobee and Ocala are all that religious either. All the peninsula these days is saturated with northern transplants and that continues to this day.
Then you have very obviously never been to either place, and it's Okeechobee. And no, the entire peninsula is NOT saturated with northern transplants. That is a beyond ridiculous claim.

Quote:
And when I was in Dallas I met a lot of gay men who weren't out to their baptist parents. You never see that type of thing in Orlando.
Now you are just getting many of your lies confused, as you made the same ridiculous claim about Atlanta. And I love Orlando, but you have placed it on some sort of crazy pedestal that is not based in reality.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:29 PM

77 posts, read 32,992 times
I would actually choose Florida. Have spent alot of time in both states. Texas has great food. I gained at least 10 pounds while down there from their nachos. I mean there is food everywhere. And there is so much to do. But I am a beach person and I love the look of Florida. Palm trees, ocean and great shopping especially the flea markets. It happens to be my favorite state but it isn't for everyone. Many people can't handle the humidity and for that matter, texas too has high humidity but if I had to choose I'd take Florida.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:08 PM

35 posts, read 22,397 times
Well Miami is currently in a building boom with lots of building going up in brickell which is a section of Miami. Also Florida will soon have a taller building than Texas called one bay front plaza in Miami, it will be 1,005 ft tall which will beat Houston's 1,002 ft tall JP Morgan chase tower. And in my opinion Miami has more modern buildings than both Houston and Dallas. Not to mention that the fastest growing city in the u.s. is the villages in Florida.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:21 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,513,591 times
On this lovely winter day a year later I still say Florida. Though Texas pulled through the oil bust better than I thought it would so it's economy is still a notch better than Floridas.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:50 PM

17,701 posts, read 4,083,765 times
Texas

Old 01-28-2017, 02:48 AM

1,831 posts, read 1,255,543 times
The two main things that seem to draw people to Florida (especially outside of Miami) are the beaches and climate. Neither really appeals to me, since I have an unreasonable fear of oceans and because I hate humidity (I dislike DFW weather too, for the record, just not as much as Florida's or Houston's). I pick Texas because of its much larger Asian American population, particularly Korean, and its stronger economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or