U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 275 56.35%
Florida 213 43.65%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:43 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times

Advertisements

Texas, Texas and Texas.

Grew up in Florida, its still "back home" but I'm glad its no longer home home. My home is in Texas, this is where I proudly hang my hat for now. One day I hope to live up north surrounded by lakes and trees. But for now, I'm very happy down in the Lone Star state.

All the stereotypes and myths though, it gets annoying. There's more to our economy then oil and gas, just like there's more to Florida's economy than tourism. People in Texas are very friendly and its not the hick filled trailer park-land some people are insunuating. I find it so cringeworthy how Happiness-is-close continues to downplay Florida's southerness and act like being part of the south is a bad thing. It's not. If anything Florida should embrace the southernness it has, because without it, it'd be pretty devoid of culture as one of its negatives in my opinion is its transient-ness gives it less of a distinct identity. A lot of it stems from liberal snobbery, a different but similar beast to conservative bigotry. I can't stand either attitudes. "They're all hicks," "They're all hippie pinko weirdos!" ugh!

You can find plenty of worldliness in Texas and you can find plenty of bible-thumping rebel flag waving in Florida. My beef with Florida is that Miami sucks, in many ways, it has a certain blandness in part thanks to sprawling retirement communities, the weather is constantly hot and humid, and I know Texas can get horrendous heat but at least we have an autumn in the northern half of the state, and its just not my personal cup of tea in general. I do love the ocean and beaches of Florida, though I've yet to visit Texas' beaches (and I do want to at some point) I know Florida's got the best in the lower 48, and there's beautiful beaches in many states, including the Midwestern ones. Texas offers more in terms of quality of life in my opinion. It has its negatives but its a huge state and its boundaries include many positives.

For the record; I've lived in suburban Miami, and I've lived in small town west Texas, and I've lived in small Texas cities. The fact I hate Miami has not stopped me from enjoying other big cities and I been in some small Texas towns that truly are, the pits in every definition, and that hasn't stopped me from enjoying other small towns. I'm gay and liberal leaning (pretty moderate overall) and I'd rather be in a nice small provincial town with friendly folks than in a "cosmopolitan" big city where people are materialistic and unfriendly, any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 09:46 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,165,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Texas, Texas and Texas.

Grew up in Florida, its still "back home" but I'm glad its no longer home home. My home is in Texas, this is where I proudly hang my hat for now. One day I hope to live up north surrounded by lakes and trees. But for now, I'm very happy down in the Lone Star state.

All the stereotypes and myths though, it gets annoying. There's more to our economy then oil and gas, just like there's more to Florida's economy than tourism. People in Texas are very friendly and its not the hick filled trailer park-land some people are insunuating. I find it so cringeworthy how Happiness-is-close continues to downplay Florida's southerness and act like being part of the south is a bad thing. It's not. If anything Florida should embrace the southernness it has, because without it, it'd be pretty devoid of culture as one of its negatives in my opinion is its transient-ness gives it less of a distinct identity. A lot of it stems from liberal snobbery, a different but similar beast to conservative bigotry. I can't stand either attitudes. "They're all hicks," "They're all hippie pinko weirdos!" ugh!

You can find plenty of worldliness in Texas and you can find plenty of bible-thumping rebel flag waving in Florida. My beef with Florida is that Miami sucks, in many ways, it has a certain blandness in part thanks to sprawling retirement communities, the weather is constantly hot and humid, and I know Texas can get horrendous heat but at least we have an autumn in the northern half of the state, and its just not my personal cup of tea in general. I do love the ocean and beaches of Florida, though I've yet to visit Texas' beaches (and I do want to at some point) I know Florida's got the best in the lower 48, and there's beautiful beaches in many states, including the Midwestern ones. Texas offers more in terms of quality of life in my opinion. It has its negatives but its a huge state and its boundaries include many positives.
I like Texas better than Florida overall as well.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
The two main things that seem to draw people to Florida (especially outside of Miami) are the beaches and climate. Neither really appeals to me, since I have an unreasonable fear of oceans and because I hate humidity (I dislike DFW weather too, for the record, just not as much as Florida's or Houston's). I pick Texas because of its much larger Asian American population, particularly Korean, and its stronger economy.

The ocean is the one thing (besides family) I miss about Florida, but you can live in Florida and not go to the ocean! I have a friend, born and raised in Miami, never been further north than Orlando, and she never touched the ocean until a few days before her 19th birthday that I took her to the beach and took her "ocean virginity." It totally shocked me when she first told me that, I was like "Girl, what are you doing with your life?!?"

Old 01-28-2017, 10:37 PM

5,922 posts, read 2,753,127 times
Quote:
Texas, Texas and Texas.

You can find plenty of worldliness in Texas and you can find plenty of bible-thumping rebel flag waving in Florida. My beef with Florida is that Miami sucks, in many ways, it has a certain blandness in part thanks to sprawling retirement communities, the weather is constantly hot and humid, and I know Texas can get horrendous heat but at least we have an autumn in the northern half of the state, and its just not my personal cup of tea in general.I do love the ocean and beaches of Florida, though I've yet to visit Texas' beaches (and I do want to at some point) I know Florida's got the best in the lower 48, and there's beautiful beaches in many states, including the Midwestern ones. Texas offers more in terms of quality of life in my opinion. It has its negatives but its a huge state and its boundaries include many positives.

For the record; I've lived in suburban Miami, and I've lived in small town west Texas, and I've lived in small Texas cities. The fact I hate Miami has not stopped me from enjoying other big cities and I been in some small Texas towns that truly are, the pits in every definition, and that hasn't stopped me from enjoying other small towns. I'm gay and liberal leaning (pretty moderate overall) and I'd rather be in a nice small provincial town with friendly folks than in a "cosmopolitan" big city where people are materialistic and unfriendly, any day.
#1: Why should Florida embrace it's "Southerness" when it's culture is not really "Southern "?
For a self proclaimed Floridian you should know by now that most of Florida is not a culturally Southern state until you hit the I-4 corridor north of Orlando and Rural parts off the coast..

#2: How does Miami suck ? There is no comparable city in Texas never mind the US that is even like Miami !

#3: Gay in Texas sounds masochist but whatever floats your boat brah !

Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,255,543 times
I mean, plenty of gay people live in Texas without problems.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
#1: Why should Florida embrace it's "Southerness" when it's culture is not really "Southern "?
For a self proclaimed Floridian you should know by now that most of Florida is not a culturally Southern state until you hit the I-4 corridor north of Orlando and Rural parts off the coast..

#2: How does Miami suck ? There is no comparable city in Texas never mind the US that is even like Miami !

#3: Gay in Texas sounds masochist but whatever floats your boat brah !

Take away all the northern migrants that didn't grow up in Florida, it'd hardly be all that different from Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina or Virginia. How people seem to define "southern" is more "country" it seems. You don't need to have a drawl to be southern. Anyway, you find plenty of the stereotypical "southern" all over Florida. Including Miami-Dade County. Most of the black population there is culturally tied with African-Americans in Georgia, Texas, Louisiana, the Carolinas. Hell, Miami has lots of economic and cultural ties with cities like Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta and Charlotte. Now Florida is definitely distinct and unique but aside from snowbirds, its hardly a northeastern enclave. Otherwise, why do so much of them moan about how different it is from back home

2. Miami sucks in many ways. The fact English is like a second language there, and not knowing Spanish often invokes disrespectful/rude attitudes. Its a very materialistic and superficial place. Pretty trashy once you get past the picture postcard place. No one even knows how to park on a drive way, they love parking on grass lol. I've brought my boyfriend to Miami twice, he hates it. Says most people are rude as hell, especially the Cubans (I'm Cuban-American myself, and I totally see his point of view)

3. Lol what do you think, we get lynched for being gay?

Old 01-29-2017, 12:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,255,543 times
I never been to Miami but it always appealed to me because I grew up loving Golden Girls. It didn't seem perfect but looked like a good enough city with nice people.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:19 PM

330 posts, read 238,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random person View Post
Well Miami is currently in a building boom with lots of building going up in brickell which is a section of Miami. Also Florida will soon have a taller building than Texas called one bay front plaza in Miami, it will be 1,005 ft tall which will beat Houston's 1,002 ft tall JP Morgan chase tower. And in my opinion Miami has more modern buildings than both Houston and Dallas. Not to mention that the fastest growing city in the u.s. is the villages in Florida.
That's great to hear, it's also great to see Miami finally catching Houston in height. Props! Although I can say the same with Texas with the fast growing population and high-rise boom in half of our cities. Houston is shaking of the oil slump and will jump start it's building boom this year after a 2 year hiatus.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:12 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,523,355 times
Quote:
I have to agree here.

Florida's major cities have become very bland, especially when compared to Texas cities. Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville are devoid of culture, have no distinct vibe, and doesn't really differentiate from one another on a larger scale. You can easily tell when you're in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and etc. because the vibe is different in each city.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:13 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,165,285 times
Florida is the worst place to live if you are not wealthy, like everything in Miami Beach caters to the super rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or