U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 275 56.35%
Florida 213 43.65%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:09 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,170,492 times

Advertisements

Florida is getting destroyed in this poll, I like Texas a little bit better than Florida as a place to live but not by that wide a margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 12:14 PM

686 posts, read 402,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I'm sorry, are you talking about a culture defined region or a geography defined region? I define The South as I do with most regions based on geography (the only "regions" I define by culture are nations, which I do not consider The South to be one) and so Southern Culture is inclusive of all cultures found within that region, regardless of how it changes culturally. Much like Siberia; yes, it is largely populated by ethnic Russians/racially Europeans, and so follow their customs and culture, but it is still part of Asia. Or, at least, I've never met anyone before who said otherwise except from a political standpoint.

Also, yes Asia and Europe are continents, but continents are in this sense just regions. Regions which, concerning Asia and Europe, have weakly defined borders that have changed throughout history, with it gradually moving eastward.
There are many reasons why your definition of southern culture is wrong, but the primary one is that South Florida is not "Southern" by any definition except geographically. That doesn't make it brimming with southern culture. Its "culture" is primarily influenced by northeasterners and Cubans.

You can't define a place by its geography, in Florida's case. This may be difficult to understand, but here's how it works. North Florida is the deep south, South Florida can be generally thought of as Southern New York and North Cuba. Central Florida, especially where I live, is the border between the two. Tampa itself has a smattering of southern culture here and there (not much), but 30 minutes north where I live and on up and it gets what you would think of as traditionally "southern" pretty quickly.

I have some homework for you. Visit Boca Raton or North Palm Beach and tell them that they're southerners. Or better yet, go to Daytona Beach up in North FL and tell them that Miami is a good ol' boy town. You'd get laughed out of the state.

Last edited by a person; 02-10-2017 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Florida is getting destroyed in this poll, I like Texas a little bit better than Florida as a place to live but not by that wide a margin.
Texas also has a much more diverse array of places to live in my opinion, with a worlds better economy. Florida has small pockets of industry here and there but it is and will always be primarily a tourist and retirement mecca. Personally I don't care too much for TX but I am counting the days until I can get my family and I out of FL.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:29 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,262,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
There are many reasons why your definition of southern culture is wrong, but the primary one is that South Florida is not "Southern" by any definition except geographically. That doesn't make it brimming with southern culture. Its "culture" is primarily influenced by northeasterners and Cubans. In fact, if anything, I would say that because it is a global city, it has no primary culture at all; just a mix of influences.

You can't define a place by its geography, in Florida's case. This may be difficult to understand, but here's how it works. North Florida is the deep south, South Florida can be generally thought of as Southern New York and North Cuba. Central Florida, especially where I live, is the border between the two.

I have some homework for you. Visit Boca Raton or North Palm Beach and tell them that they're southerners. Or better yet, go to Daytona Beach up in North FL and tell them that Miami is a good ol' boy town. You'd get laughed out of the state.
The fact that it is a city in the South means it is beginning with Southern culture. It could be a former colony of India and filled with Hindus and it, as a part of the US, would still be Southern and Hinduism/Indian culture would become a defining aspect of Southern culture, or at least a subset of it. Identity doesn't define the limits of a region.

Historically, it is a mix bag. Southern Florida may have been settled mostly by Notherners (who, you know, we're mostly from Western Europe as is also the case for Southerners) but it was still part of the CSA and had slavery. Geographically it is undeniably part of the South. Culturally, well, what do you even define as Southern culture? What does the entire rest of the "South" share culturally that isn't found in Southern Florida? I cannot think of anything found in wide abundance throughout the rest of the South that is void in Southern Florida.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 2,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post

How is it getting destroyed?? It's pretty close and considering Texas has a much higher population than Florida I would say it's really close.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:39 PM

10,569 posts, read 13,149,753 times
I don't like either. But if forced, it would be Miami.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:46 PM

4,890 posts, read 3,010,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnot View Post
How is it getting destroyed?? It's pretty close and considering Texas has a much higher population than Florida I would say it's really close.
I think Texas has the most posters here or is close to California

Old 02-10-2017, 12:51 PM

18,659 posts, read 27,113,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
There are many reasons why your definition of southern culture is wrong, but the primary one is that South Florida is not "Southern" by any definition except geographically. That doesn't make it brimming with southern culture. Its "culture" is primarily influenced by northeasterners and Cubans.

You can't define a place by its geography, in Florida's case. This may be difficult to understand, but here's how it works. North Florida is the deep south, South Florida can be generally thought of as Southern New York and North Cuba. Central Florida, especially where I live, is the border between the two. Tampa itself has a smattering of southern culture here and there (not much), but 30 minutes north where I live and on up and it gets what you would think of as traditionally "southern" pretty quickly.

I lived in South Florida. I visit my family and friends in Miramar, Miami Gardens, Lauderhill, and they will you they are Southern.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:59 PM

23,700 posts, read 17,660,009 times
As a Southerner, I've historically identified TX historically identified more with the South in terms of politics, speech patterns, east TX being Deep South, college football being hugely important, BBQ, etc.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I lived in South Florida. I visit my family and friends in Miramar, Miami Gardens, Lauderhill, and they will you they are Southern.
Cool. My apologies, then. South FL is southern because of your family and friends. I'll tell all the New Yorkers to put on Confederate belt buckles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or