U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 193 56.60%
Florida 148 43.40%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:42 PM

564 posts, read 1,294,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
florida is way better...beaches...nightlife..hot latina girls

texas just seems boring and too country-like
Yeah, Texas doesn't have many latinas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 02:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 820,072 times
The Latina gurls in Miami are beautiful Go to south beach on a hot summer day

Old 02-20-2009, 02:06 PM

5,974 posts, read 3,303,536 times
I would choose Texas, much better non-tourist based economy and is doing great in the job market. Dallas and Houston are great cities.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM

1,578 posts, read 3,623,024 times
You have to go north in florida to get southern.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:51 PM

1,670 posts, read 787,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Do you really want to go there? What is the goal of k-12 education? For kids to get an education!

According to the 2009 world almanac

Texas grad rate is 74% and Florida is 64.6%

Math Reading and Science Texas is 87, 66 for 4th grade and 78, 73, 53 for 8th grade Florida is 86 and 70 for 4th grade and 68, 66 and 51 for 8th grade

ACT average scores Texas 20.7 and Florida is 19.8

Student to teacher ratio Texas is 15 and Florida is 17

So my point is made Texas does have better performing schools than Florida although neither is terrific.

As far as colleges

Texas has UT Austin, Tex A&M, Rice, Baylor, TCU, Trinity, UTEP, SMU and a host of other colleges

Florida has UF Gainesville, Florida St, U Miami and a host of 4 yr glorified communitiy colleges

I think anyone would agree that Texas is far beyond florida for higher education
Save one of the most respected raters of U.S. school systems. That was my point...

Go to Education Week American Education News Site of Record (http://www.edweek.org/ew/qc/2009/17s...l?r=1017469000) and find out for yourself. Free to register and a very interactive site.

Florida overall was #10, Texas overall was #19, and they do a much more in depth analysis then anyone on this forum could come up with...or a "world almanac".

I mean anyone can spin any fact to make their states look good, while ignoring the areas they are very poor in. However, to back up your view on your statistics, Texas' best "grades" were in Standards, Assessments, and Accountability.

Oh and the saying the majority agree with you is quite narcissistic view of your own state. The two sentences where you describe the state's colleges shows it even more.

Last edited by Maabus1999; 02-20-2009 at 05:00 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 06:38 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,073,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Not in my experience it doesnt There are tons of things i can get into in the state of FLorida that i can Not do in Texas why do you think so many people go there to vacation
Exactly what are those things??? Your entitled to your own opinion, but you say Florida offers more things to do and that just got me wondering.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM

108 posts, read 245,511 times
TX hands down. FL is too trashy/tacky for me. It has nowhere that is "hip", liberal etc. Miami does NOT count as this folks, sorry, it's materialistic ugliness. No real intellectual centers or culture either.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 PM

120 posts, read 302,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Not in my experience it doesnt There are tons of things i can get into in the state of FLorida that i can Not do in Texas why do you think so many people go there to vacation
uhhh jee let me think....o yeah Florida has awesome beaches? Wait no thats not why people vacation there, I will get back to you I have to think about this one.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 PM

13,342 posts, read 14,169,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Texas cities are far better than Florida
Texas economy and diversity of job market are far better than florida
Weather is a tie
In diversity Houston alone blows away any place in Florida
In culture both Houston and Dallas blow away anything in Florida
Education, Texas has much better colleges and also better k-12 schools
People, generally much friendlier in Texas
Crime, Texas has lower crime

I really can't think of anything Florida beats Texas in except maybe beaches and definitely foreclosures
I lived in both states and I'll pick Texas as well. But some of these by sweetclimber I do disagree with. Such as culture and diversity.

There is no Texas city that has the diversity of blacks and hispanics like Miami. In Texas, most of the hispanics are Mexican. While in Miami, they are Cuban, Dominican, Puerto Rican, South American, and Central American. Houston has a large Columbian and Central American population (Salvadoran and Panamanian), but not to degree of Miami.

Blacks as well. In Texas, you are basically American born with some Nigerians scattered around. In Miami, the American born blacks (keep in my mind there are thousands there still) are outnumbered by the Caribbean born blacks. Jamaicans, Haitians, Bohemians, Trinidadians, Barbadans are all over Miami.

Culturally, when you have that type of mix in Miami, you will have a dynamic multicultural atmosphere that you will not find in most places in American. You will have festivals from different culture such as Carnival and Goombay. Both of which are not found in Texas. You will have food festivals each week. You will have parties in the streets to celebrate their homeland's every week. To say that Texas cities blow away the culture of all Florida cities is a bit naive. Miami matches up with Houston the best in this regard. IMO, it beats Dallas.

As for the rest of the thread. Sweetclimber is correct on the others. Economy is better in Texas and more diverse. People are friendlier but to a degree. Texans can get nasty and rude and very prideful. Jobs are more plentiful in Texas and the cost of living is much lower. You will get the most out of your money in Texas. Both are not as Southern as it's counterparts but they are still Southern states. I find alot of similiarities between the two areas but there are many differences.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:16 PM

674 posts, read 1,537,259 times
Thanks for all of the replies so far...it has been interesting to see everyone's perspective on this. I can't wait until I get to Texas next week to start finding out about your culture and lifestyle. Please keep the comments coming--I am loving reading them. It gives the mind a mystery to ponder during my drive over there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.