U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 275 56.35%
Florida 213 43.65%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 AM

852 posts, read 929,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
#1: Why should Florida embrace it's "Southerness" when it's culture is not really "Southern "?
For a self proclaimed Floridian you should know by now that most of Florida is not a culturally Southern state until you hit the I-4 corridor north of Orlando and Rural parts off the coast..

#2: How does Miami suck ? There is no comparable city in Texas never mind the US that is even like Miami !

#3: Gay in Texas sounds masochist but whatever floats your boat brah !

#1 I agree with you on this one, never found anything Southernish about any part of Florida.
#2 Agree, there is no other place comparable to Miami but that is a good thing. Who needs another Miami, it sucks. Let Miami be Miami
#3 This is laughable, Texas has a HUGE gay community and they live happily amongst the rest of the non-gay community. Texas is NOT anti-gay overwhelmingly. There are those who have an issue with it just like anywhere else but most Texans are live and let live type people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Southern is a culture that Florida has loooong diverted away from. Most people that live here don't have roots in the south and because of the Southern backwards social tendencies we don't feel the need to Identify with it. Our ancestry is mostly German, Irish, Scandinavian, Slavic, Cuban, Puerto Rican, etc. most of our families fought for the union or hadn't arrived to America yet. most of us don't give a thought to your religion or your personal life unlike the South which practically prides itself on being nosey into people's personal lives.

No, Miami isn't Southern. The whole Florida peninsula isn't Southern, and it doesn't want to be. Since you left Florida mind your own business as to how we identify ourselves.
Seriously????? So you are saying all Southerners are backwards?? HMMMM, interesting. I think you've lost some serious credibility now.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Except that you aren't accurate. Jacksonville might kind of be like a smaller Dallas, but it is actually more like a smaller Atlanta on the beach. You aren't going to find anything like Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Florida Keys, or any of the other large metros along Florida's peninsular coasts similar to Texas, rural or urban.

Had to think about this one but I look at Miami being similar to Houston, less the oil industry in Miami or the beaches in Houston. Both are very diverse, cosmopolitan and "trendy". Tampa and Orlando make me think of Arlington and Frisco areas in Texas from a vibe standpoint. The Keys, similar to South Padre with the laid back beachy-resortish feel. Port A in Texas is even more "Margaritaville'ish" than South Padre though in my opinion.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer11 View Post
Well at least Florida has things that are unique to the U.S. Texas is the same as a bunch of other states and is just a more populated Oklahoma, Arkansas or Kansas.. Name some things Texas has that are unique to the U.S. Oil? Cowboys? That's all the world knows about Texas.

What is so "unique" about Florida? Anything in Florida can be found in other parts of the country. Texas is very unique and not because of oil or cowboys. Both can be found in other areas of the country. Oil = the Dakota's, Cowboys = Oklahoma for example.

If you take a trip and visit all parts of Texas, you'll find something very different in each area i.e. Amarillo is completely different than the RGV, El Paso is very different from Fort Worth, Galveston is very different from South Padre, Bandera is very different from Mesquite, Midland is different from Tyler, Dallas is very different from Houston, Austin and San Antonio are also very different from each other and they are only an hours drive apart. THIS is what makes Texas unique to me.

No other state will you find the diversity that you'll find in Texas. Each comparison I listed has a bit of similarity to the other but are VASTLY different in so many ways that you really can't compare them. Example: Galveston and South Padre are both beach towns but that is the ONLY thing they have in common. Bandera and Mesquite are known for their country, cowboy, rodeo images but that is the ONLY thing they have in common and even the things they have in common have differences.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:01 PM

605 posts, read 467,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
What is so "unique" about Florida? Anything in Florida can be found in other parts of the country.
While I do think Texas is a much better place to live (and is much more diverse overall) than Florida, last time I checked Florida has the only tropical coral reef located within the continental US (along the Florida Keys), plus the oldest city in the US is also located in Florida (St. Augustine), not to mention the Everglades which is one of the most diverse ecosystems found anywhere in the country. So there are plenty of unique things about Florida as well that don't involve Disney or beaches.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:33 PM

4,853 posts, read 2,982,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
Had to think about this one but I look at Miami being similar to Houston, less the oil industry in Miami or the beaches in Houston. Both are very diverse, cosmopolitan and "trendy". Tampa and Orlando make me think of Arlington and Frisco areas in Texas from a vibe standpoint. The Keys, similar to South Padre with the laid back beachy-resortish feel. Port A in Texas is even more "Margaritaville'ish" than South Padre though in my opinion.
Why is Houston trendy? And I don't understand how ARlington and Frisco have similar vibes to the two Florida cities. Reaching?

Old 02-18-2017, 01:03 PM

1,014 posts, read 640,942 times
People like to think of Houston in the same respect as Florida because it's also humid, swampy and coastal; however, Houston's aesthetic is quite distinct relative to that of urban Florida, which seems much newer, cleaner, less polluted and better manicured overall. IMO, Houston is a dump.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:10 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,056,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
People like to think of Houston in the same respect as Florida because it's also humid, swampy and coastal; however, Houston's aesthetic is quite distinct relative to that of urban Florida, which seems much newer, cleaner, less polluted and better manicured overall. IMO, Houston is a dump.
What an opinion. Ridiculous and laughable but everyone has them.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:45 PM

35 posts, read 22,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
That's great to hear, it's also great to see Miami finally catching Houston in height. Props! Although I can say the same with Texas with the fast growing population and high-rise boom in half of our cities. Houston is shaking of the oil slump and will jump start it's building boom this year after a 2 year hiatus.
Really, because the "Texas oil boom" is going to be ending soon. Also 6 out of the top ten fastest growing cities in the country were in Florida according to Full List: America's Fastest-Growing Cities 2017 - Forbes and you can search it yourself. Also you call that a building boom? I just looked up the buildings that they will be building in Houston and the tallest one doesn't even come close to what we're building over here. Miami has more buildings in general and the population as of 2015 for Houston was 6.5 million and Miami 6.0 million so what do you mean we're finally catching up to Houston, we've been right up with Houston for years. Also, the only reason Miami hasn't had as tall buildings as Houston is because there was a height restriction of about 800ft due to Miami international, but they recently raised it in 2015 to about 1050ft and now we're building taller.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:06 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,056,837 times
^^ lots of misinformation in your post. For One, Houston MSA is at 6.6 million and has been growing faster than Miami MSA for the better part of the past 20 years. Shouldn't be surprising, not only is Houston cheaper, it has a much larger economy. Also, the state of Texas has a very diverse economy. Much more varied than Florida. While the oil industry is going through its normal boom and bust eras, Texas still has technology, telecommunications, medicine, banking, shipping, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or