U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 275 56.35%
Florida 213 43.65%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2017, 01:42 PM
 
35 posts, read 22,281 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Florida cities have a lot more to do like beaches, theme parks and not theme parks like six flags that are not as clean or as themed as Florida theme parks. Miami is growing faster by percentage growth than Houston. Florida beaches are ten times better than Texas beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2017, 01:48 PM
 
1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random person View Post
Florida cities have a lot more to do like beaches, theme parks and not theme parks like six flags that are not as clean or as themed as Florida theme parks. Miami is growing faster by percentage growth than Houston. Florida beaches are ten times better than Texas beaches.
Last I checked, Miami was among the slowest growing major metros in the South, only ahead of Tampa and Atlanta (using the five year change, since one year growth is not very reliable to base off of).Well, as well as Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 04:54 PM
 
35 posts, read 22,281 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Last I checked, Miami was among the slowest growing major metros in the South, only ahead of Tampa and Atlanta (using the five year change, since one year growth is not very reliable to base off of).Well, as well as Baltimore.
When's the last time you checked ten years ago? Miami is the 13th fastest growing metro area in the U.S. search Full List: America's Fastest-Growing Cities 2017 - Forbes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 05:14 PM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 1,277,280 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
To me, even vast swaths of Houston (and I mean Houston, not the MSA) seem like country towns strung together. Last time I was in Houston was last year in May.

Houston, and the MSA has a lot more land than Miami. Houston is surrounded by build-able land in most every direction. Miami is already pushed against the glades and the ocean. So Miami is infilling at a far faster rate than Houston.
1.) The problem with many mindsets is the assumption that land is 100% build-able just because it isn't a National Park/Preserve. However, the many issues pertaining to maintenance of quality (i.e. need for natural land for drainage, recreation, etc) mean that land isn't necessarily developed, just because it is there. Furthermore, many cities have plentiful land, but are locked/controlled in growth by other municipalities in their metros (i.e. Dallas with its suburbs); Houston has areas like The Woodlands, Sugar Land, etc which have their own territories. So no, growth won't necessarily be outward, just because "flat land surrounds it."

2.) Same goes with infill. If Houston has more land than Miami, there will still be infill, just with wider territory. Ever heard of Ba Sing Se?

3.) "Country towns strung together.." may simply be technicalities in city limits that include such features "as Houston," when they might as well be their own municipalities. Also, it may not so much be "country" in as much as it is just an area in need of urban upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 06:17 PM
 
Location: The Dirty South.
1,573 posts, read 1,427,743 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random person View Post
Florida cities have a lot more to do like beaches, theme parks and not theme parks like six flags that are not as clean or as themed as Florida theme parks. Miami is growing faster by percentage growth than Houston. Florida beaches are ten times better than Texas beaches.
Funny you say that since since the original six flags is in Texas. Six Flags is also headquartered in Texas as well. And the fact the you say Florida six flags is cleaner is laughable. If your going to be bias at least be factual.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Random person View Post
Florida cities have a lot more to do like beaches, theme parks and not theme parks like six flags that are not as clean or as themed as Florida theme parks. Miami is growing faster by percentage growth than Houston. Florida beaches are ten times better than Texas beaches.
Funny you say that since since the original six flags is in Texas. Six Flags is also headquartered in Texas as well. And the fact the you say Florida six flags is cleaner is laughable. If your going to be bias at least be factual.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Flags

Last edited by mrfoe; 03-10-2017 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 PM
 
1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random person View Post
When's the last time you checked ten years ago? Miami is the 13th fastest growing metro area in the U.S. search Full List: America's Fastest-Growing Cities 2017 - Forbes.
I'll search later once home, but I assume that that list is based on one year of growth. Like I said, I like to look over at least a five year period. From 2010-2017,Miami has had pretty low growth compared to Texas' major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
Reputation: 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random person View Post
Florida cities have a lot more to do like beaches, theme parks and not theme parks like six flags that are not as clean or as themed as Florida theme parks. Miami is growing faster by percentage growth than Houston. Florida beaches are ten times better than Texas beaches.
Since the census in 2010
Houston MSA growth - +12.44%
Miami MSA growth - +8.05%

How is Miami growing faster by percentage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 10:17 PM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 1,277,280 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Funny you say that since since the original six flags is in Texas. Six Flags is also headquartered in Texas as well. And the fact the you say Florida six flags is cleaner is laughable. If your going to be bias at least be factual.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Flags
I think the poster was trying to contrast Six Flags with the Florida theme parks (i.e. Disney World, Busch Gardens, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 03:17 PM
 
35 posts, read 22,281 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Funny you say that since since the original six flags is in Texas. Six Flags is also headquartered in Texas as well. And the fact the you say Florida six flags is cleaner is laughable. If your going to be bias at least be factual.




Funny you say that since since the original six flags is in Texas. Six Flags is also headquartered in Texas as well. And the fact the you say Florida six flags is cleaner is laughable. If your going to be bias at least be factual.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Flags
I'm not talking about six flags in Florida I'm talking about Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens which Texas doesn't have so stop picking out a bad park in Florida and pretending that there aren't any good Theme Parks which Texas doesn't really have any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 03:21 PM
 
35 posts, read 22,281 times
Reputation: 10
Also forgot to mention that I never said anything in the original post about Florida six flags being better than Texas six flags so stop putting words in my mouth. In the end Florida theme parks are way better than Texas theme parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top