U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TEXAS VS FLORIDA--Which state would you prefer to live in?
Texas 275 56.35%
Florida 213 43.65%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2009, 07:32 PM

256 posts, read 660,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In addition to Synopsis post about Texas having no scenery, I am going out on a limb and say you know very little about the state. First off, Bush is NOT FROM TEXAS. Did you forget that Jeb Bush was the govenor of Florida, though? BTW, did you know that Texas has the 2nd most liberals in the United States? BTW, since when was the beaches from Corpus to SPI to Brownsville swampy?
YES HE IS. God I am so sick and tired of people spouting that lie to try to make Texas look better.

Look, the fact that George Bush is from Texas doesn't make Texas a bad place at all. Happy? There are stupid people like Bush everywhere. It really, really, doesn't matter. There are people like Bush living in all 50 states. Nobody dislikes Texas simply because George Bush is from there.

But you don't need to lie and say he's not from Texas. Yes, he was born in Conneticut, but he spent HIS ENTIRE CHILDHOOD IN TEXAS! He grew up in Midland and Houston. He is from Texas.

I was born in a hip little neighborhood in downtown Atlanta (Virginia Highland), but I don't remember anything about it and did not grow up there. Therefore I do not tell people I'm from Virginia Highland, because I'm not!

My mom was born in Maryland, did not live there past being a toddler. She spent her entire childhood in Atlanta and does not remember anything from Maryland. She does not go around screaming about how she's not from Atlanta she's from Maryland.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
YES HE IS. God I am so sick and tired of people spouting that lie to try to make Texas look better.

Look, the fact that George Bush is from Texas doesn't make Texas a bad place at all. Happy? There are stupid people like Bush everywhere. It really, really, doesn't matter. There are people like Bush living in all 50 states. Nobody dislikes Texas simply because George Bush is from there.

But you don't need to lie and say he's not from Texas. Yes, he was born in Conneticut, but he spent HIS ENTIRE CHILDHOOD IN TEXAS! He grew up in Midland and Houston. He is from Texas.
There is no need to get all hostile and riled up over someone's post on the internet. If people in Texas do not want to claim him and use his actual birth as the place he is actually from, so be it. Many in Texas do, many in Texas don't. And honestly, I could not care less what people are sick and tired of. And by the way, stating that he is not from Texas is not a lie. It is truth if you base it on technicality.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 AM
NSX

866 posts, read 1,837,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
I spit out my drink reading this!, saying that Florida's economy can even compete with Texas is just downright ignorant.
Like I said before, it all depends on which field you're in. With my current opportunity in FL, I'll be earning more than 95% of Texans. Texas did not have anything remotely close available for me. I'll say it again: There is no shortage of people earning very high incomes in Florida, if you have the have the right qualifications and you are in the right field. I agree with you that the economy of Texas is much broader, but not necessarily better for everyone.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:36 AM

3,113 posts, read 6,493,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
Nobody dislikes Texas simply because George Bush is from there.
I have seen hundreds of posts saying that they hate Texas because of him. Where have you been?

Old 02-28-2009, 08:42 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I have seen hundreds of posts saying that they hate Texas because of him. Where have you been?
You'll also see lots of foreign people hating on Texas because of Bush. true fact.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:08 AM

200 posts, read 546,586 times
Florida. Texas is only winning because they have more posters here.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 AM

200 posts, read 546,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You'll also see lots of foreign people hating on Texas because of Bush. true fact.
Can you blame them?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:12 AM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle's Best 28 View Post
Can you blame them?
and that's the problem.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:57 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Quote:
Can you blame them?
Yeah, I guess considering it seems the US and the rest of the world believes it was Texas and only Texas who made Bush the president of the US. We did it all by ourselves.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:00 PM

256 posts, read 660,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There is no need to get all hostile and riled up over someone's post on the internet. If people in Texas do not want to claim him and use his actual birth as the place he is actually from, so be it. Many in Texas do, many in Texas don't. And honestly, I could not care less what people are sick and tired of. And by the way, stating that he is not from Texas is not a lie. It is truth if you base it on technicality.
Well, it is misleading at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
You're probably right. They probably do and I haven't seen it.

In my opinion, though, they mostly likely would dislike Texas anyway and use some other reason. Not to say that's right, but...

Quote:
Can you blame them?
Yes, you can blame them. The Bush Administration was was one of the worst in United States history, in astoundingly diverse ways. But his decisions (particularly, his foreign policy decisions) have absolutely nothing to do with growing up in Texas. His interventionist foreign policy, arrogance, disregard for the international community all stem from the Republican Party's philosophy. It is completely unrelated to Texas.

So no, it's not right to judge an entire state based on one dumbass with a southern accent who owned the Dallas Cowboys. It's downright ignorant, and very hypocritical given that Europeans (and people from other foriegn countries) call Americans ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or