U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Then it isn't IQ! When you consider the range of normal human IQ scores, this is actually a pretty tight grouping of the max and min average values. What does this tell us? That the average American is of pretty average IQ across the entire country....duh... Useless as a box of burned out lightbulbs, this is.

BTW...not meaning your post was useless jluke..but the data as it's presented on the referenced site.
I never stated it was about IQ, I was just informing people how they came up with the results since not everyone reads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:39 AM

23 posts, read 73,015 times
It looks pretty accurate to me. Among whites, MA has the highest IQs, WV the lowest. There is a bump for TX, as you would expect given their large number of Germans vs the rest of the South. NV attracts a lot of poorer people looking for jobs. CO attracts a lot of old yuppies. The Upper Midwest is heavily German and Scandinavian. Affluent federal workers live in VA. There are a lot of smart people in the NY metro area.

SC was the surprise. I'm considering moving to SC or Eastern TN but TN ranks quite low. Tho Northerners are pouring into East TN at a pretty good rate.

Many Eyes: Estimated white IQ by state (US)

Edit. I just had a thought or two. SC has nuclear facilities and quite a few European companies. Charlotte, which spills over into SC, has always been a rather Northern city. Then there is Charleston, which is a unique city and has attracted people from all over for a long time. But then, TN has nuclear facilities too. Oh well.

Last edited by Tab Numlock; 02-20-2009 at 08:12 AM..

Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 4,919 times
The estimates were produced by taking the regression equations produced by running the numbers in the data table put together by Professor Richard Lynn. He correlates IQ scores with international math and science test scores (pp 173-175) and then adjusting the nominal test score values (by running an IQ of 98 through the regression equation produced by Lynn's numbers) on the international tests to the NAEP math and science tests in the US, I gave it a shot domestically. From the process described above and by applying equal weight to the science and math test scores by state comes the rankings. There is nothing subjective about it.

Re: DC's low score, it is impossible not to mention race. I have used the exact same formula to estimate IQ by race and by state (please see here: [url=http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2006/11/iq-estimates.html]The Audacious Epigone: IQ estimates[/url]). The reason(s) behind the racial disparities are not something I claim to have any special knowledge of, however.

Tab,

Similarly, North Carolina's relatively high score is probably in part a result of the research triangle, home to lots of high tech research and three major universities.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,919 times
Re: the issue of English fluency, kids do not take the test until they have at least three years of English instruction. It's hard to imagine that there are math or science items that require more than that. Also, VCU's Professor McDaniels did a similar analysis after mine using reading instead of science scores. Are results correlate at .96--that is, they're nearly identical. So the language issue is very, very minor if it exists at all.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:01 PM

880 posts, read 2,529,827 times
Huh, where I moved from (NH) the IQ was 101, now where I live (GA) the IQ is 96.5

Old 02-20-2009, 04:15 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,326,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab Numlock View Post
Charlotte, which spills over into SC, has always been a rather Northern city.
Full of Northern transplants, yes. A "rather Northern city," no.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:15 PM

1,673 posts, read 1,530,005 times
You know, for the most parts these scores are so close you are not going to ever tell a difference.

Also to the comments about high tech industries helping scores out, these were based of 8th grader scores if I read correctly. Unless they are becoming nuclear engineers or bioengineers early on in life these days, I don't think there is any correlation unless your point is by family genetics. I will concede that is a possibility as a theory.

Oh, and I like seeing Montana way up there still

Old 02-20-2009, 09:38 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,273,290 times
Indiana's Average IQ is 98.7

My IQ is 142 so my IQ 43.3 points above the state average

The national average is 108 so my IQ is 34 points above the national average

Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Yeah take it with a big grain of salt.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 PM

526 posts, read 1,149,651 times
They spelled my state wrong! Oh the irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or