Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:52 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I live in Texas and could care less if someone says bad things about it. I have tried to tone down I much I dislike living in Houston, Texas, I know some people really love being from Texas. But I want to move so bad to a cooler climate with better scenery. I would be more offended if someone said bad things about North Carolina or Tennessee than Texas. But all places are not for everyone and this place isn't for me.

I agree. When I first moved to Texas from California, my dad made a comment to my sister about how he hated this place. My sister who was raised in California got so insulted and yelled at him, "Then just go back to where all the fruits and fairies live." I thought that rather rude myself and not true, and she knew it. This happened 28 years ago. It wasn't like she "made" the state. Who cares who likes it and who doesn't. It's like someone liking pizza and someone else not liking it. Oh well...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 06:52 PM

234 posts, read 786,194 times
It is hard when we don't like a place very much and other people seem to love it! Guess we all just like different things....Claire

Old 03-18-2007, 07:14 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,732,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightMadness View Post
I (& other Philly posters) have had the opposite problem. People ask us what we think about Philly & we Philly natives won't sugar-coat the facts on crime & taxes. Then other posters from the 'burbs (that have only "visited" the city) blast us for telling the truth. I have no clue what stakes they hold in the city that would make them so vehemently deny what's going on here & how the city's run. You would think they'd appreciate that we are steering people out of harm's way and maybe into their neighborhoods (which will give them a broader tax base). Unless they don't want any new blood in their neighborhoods.
Yup, it is exactly the same in Boston. Must be a disease. Only in Boston few of those burb types even could find the streets / neighborhood in question. Usually they know one way in to work. Even long term residents can get lost. It is the map atlas on the dashboard for everybody, including truck drivers, taxis, etc.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:11 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,645 times
I admit I get upset when people say they hate New York City. I love New York so much! But it's fine. We're entitled to like or dislike one place or another. And I'm the first to see the negative aspects of NYC!

* I mostly see blind love: "My city is great, doesn't have any flaws and you're a liar" (just check the City Data statistics and see how your flawless city is not so)

* I see a lot of territoriality, or "defense of a territory": "You live in New York City and you come to the Oklahoma forum, go away" (I have extended family in OK, but they don't care- I'm just an invading Yankee)

* I also stumble upon people who take it way too personally and see no happy medium: "You criticize this therefore you hurt me and you hate America" (I must be a terrorist for disagreeing with you).

Last edited by Manhattan-ite; 03-18-2007 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: emphasis added

Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
We think one of the reasons some people "bad mouth" a lot the State they live in is because they really want to move, but for whatever reason/reasons can not......and, of course, that REALLY frustrates the people who are in that situation.
One thing is for sure, every State and city has it's problems and great things about it......period. For everyone in this Forum, just please and try not to "bash" a State/City that someone in this Forum really loves.
Friendly discussions in any Forum is always nice to read, not people getting into "Wars" about topics.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:14 PM

Good posts!!

I agree with what LoveBoating wrote....A lot of people probably want to move out of a city...but can't. (For different reasons.)

They are miserable and unhappy. The "thrill is gone" for them...and they get in a negative frame of mind.

This is how I feel about my city right now.....I still see some positives, and there are things I love here. But all in all, I am ready to move on to a brand new environment....Where my city might seem really exciting to someone who just moved here...or someone who is considering moving here, etc.

Good insight LoveBoating!!! Thanks, Claire

Old 03-18-2007, 09:24 PM

Mahnattan-ite:

Great post!! A lot of people do seem to be "territorial!" And, we have too many "If you don't like me (or my city)....you must hate America" type of people floating around today, don't you think?

Maybe some people just want to feel "popular" and they don't feel "popular" when other people criticize their city & state.

People like this don't think they have any flaws...and they don't want anyone to insinuate that their city has any flaws either.

I think this is called narcissism! Thanks, Claire

Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,424,940 times
I am fairly new at this and also notice negative posts produced by people that are leaving. It makes sense that they have issues and are moving on. A lot of the concerns they post are legitimate and there are always "defenders" of an area that have just as many positive posts as the negative ones. Oh well I guess it's human nature.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:51 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlovers View Post
I've noticed that some people really get upset if they feel that their city or state is being criticized. Have you noticed this?

When I live in a city & state, I try to look at "all sides." (The positives and the negatives.)

I don't want to wrap my entire identity around where I live...and I know that others may have a different view about things than I do.

If other people don't like my city or state...I don't take it really personally. We all have different preferences, needs, wants, dislikes, etc.

In other words, I don't need everyone's approval or validation about where I live...And, I don't need to "bad-mouth" and silence everyone who expresses some negative views about where I currently live....

Anyway, I thought I'd bring up this topic. How do you feel about it? Thanks, Claire/Desertlovers
I don't have a problem with anyones opinions per say. What I do have a problem with is when people post erroneous facts about a state or city. I find that many times people give stats that are just not true. I think they make them up to solidify their position on a certain city or state and figure no one will research it and call them out on it!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
I haven't read every single post on here yet but I get the general drift.

I can't vouch for any other state and its posters reactions but the Florida one, especially the Miami sub-forum, is terrible. There are a few who dedicate all their effort and energy into "bashing only" allowed threads.

I recognize many of Florida's defects - heat, homeowner's insurance, taxes, language issues, immigrant issues, but I am one of the few who can accept that there are problems but also see the other half full glass so I like Miami for my own reasons and I am therefore wearing rose colored glasses according to some of the posters there. Those who are not as content as I am, can only trash anyone who even thinks of moving to South Florida for any reason.

It's funny how those posters consider some other locations as the mega happiness town of all times and yet you hear from folks who are already there and see that everything that shines is not gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.