U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:14 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,069,974 times

Advertisements

While a lot of folks may appear to say that the grass is greener on the other side, asking them to bad mouth where they live is alot like me bad mouthing the Cubs. It may be disappointing to you (and to every one outside your viewpoint), but they're MY Cubs, darn it, and what right do YOU have to complain?

It may also be that they have gotten used to the way the are, and they might not percieve it in the same light as an outsider. I find that bears wandering down the local creeks are not startling in any way, and outsiders might percieve that to be a danger. Moose are unpredicatable as all get out, but I still defend their right to walk anywhere in Anchorage... and if you don't like it, go on back Outside where you belong.

It may just be a matter of perception, or it may be the "ownership" of the place where they live. Either way, it still doesn't pay to get upset over anyone's indivual opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 10:00 PM

633 posts, read 802,023 times
Smile criticisms

I agree with the poster who states that much criticism evolves from people who would like to move but presently cannot for some reason.

I think this type of frustration will mount as the sticky real estate market continues creating its woes. This is not happy times for many wishing to sell and move on--and worst of all we know that white collar (shall we say indiscrepencies) have had a role in this unfair situation.

As far as adapting well to an area I think this is more complex than at first meets the eye. Upbringing, previous living areas, education to name just a few enter into the mix. Personally as far as staying in some areas long term--it would not be tolerable. Then again when it comes to my residence I am particular, some thing simply don't go well with me. I'm sure Dr. Phil could describe this better than I.

I have a close relative that made an area error in choosing a retirement place. I find this especially troublesome as few deserved a contented retirement more than they. I am standing by to give them a helping hand but they first must sell their house and the market in their region is in the pits.

There are also people who will insist that all is well when presented with evidence to the contrary. We see this repeatedly in the political arena. If you voted for a questionable candidate because of party--what can be said. If after screwing up a whole term you vote him back in for yet another many will proclaim him a knight in shining armor, REGARDLESS.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:12 AM

18,433 posts, read 29,499,460 times
I noticed it when I was researching Charlotte, NC...there were a lot of people who realy loved it, and every once in a while, someone would pop in a talk of how bad it sucked.

I never made it there, TG, due to personal reasons, I am stil in the same city and state I was in before, but in a small 'burrough' if you will, of the bigger city. I love it. made the move after all.

I dont go to my states board, so i dont know what they are really saying in there.

Every once in a while I will pop in, and someone will ask should I move here or there and someone will shout out def here, and I am thinking what in the world are they thinking?!?!?

But, hey, thats just me, I used to mention a few aspects, but not anymore, dont even go there, and I didn't get upset over people saying bad things over my city, because I think like all cities, there is some good, and there is some bad.

Now, my little small town here....love it!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:00 AM

25,670 posts, read 24,308,446 times
There will always be a positive and a negative about every state, no matter where you live. I talk frequently about moving to WI or Oklahoma and the only thing people respond with (about) in those two states are tornadoes. What, tornadoes happen every day every hour of the day? Theyre about as frequent as any other natural disaster in most other states. Gimme a break!!
I dont want to knock Az but the bottom line is, its not my home, and at this point just stuck here, but that doesnt mean I cant make the best of it for the time being.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:08 AM

1,230 posts, read 2,841,220 times
Every state has positives and negatives.

Just because a state is not like "YOU" think it should be does not make it bad, it just makes it not right for you.
Just because a state and its people are more rural and you are from a larger state and/or city does not make you better than them (By the way my biggest pet peeve is when anyone thinks they are better than someone else).
Just because people have a different way of life than you does not give you the right to look down upon them.

I am from Arkansas so believe me I have heard all the ignorant crap that comes with being from a rural southern state (IE; Sleeping with out cousins, not wearing shoes, being stupid, etc, etc, I could go on all day). I am also fully aware of the positives and negatives of my state, but TO ME it is home, and I love it good, bad, pretty and not so pretty.

I say before you make any judgment on any state or its people, go experience it, form an educated opinion of your own, if you don't like it OK, go back home and chalk it up to lessons learned.

If you have never been to a state or known its people don't spout off ignorant rantings without having first hand knowledge of what you are talking about.

Last edited by sherrenee; 09-29-2007 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Because I cant spell worth a flip

Old 09-29-2007, 11:26 AM

1,930 posts, read 9,473,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlovers View Post
I've noticed that some people really get upset if they feel that their city or state is being criticized. Have you noticed this?

When I live in a city & state, I try to look at "all sides." (The positives and the negatives.)

I don't want to wrap my entire identity around where I live...and I know that others may have a different view about things than I do.

If other people don't like my city or state...I don't take it really personally. We all have different preferences, needs, wants, dislikes, etc.

In other words, I don't need everyone's approval or validation about where I live...And, I don't need to "bad-mouth" and silence everyone who expresses some negative views about where I currently live....

Anyway, I thought I'd bring up this topic. How do you feel about it? Thanks, Claire/Desertlovers
No city or state is perfect, everyone has their own opinions, including myself, and everyone has different likes and dislikes, it's normal for people to have something negative to say. It really doesn't bother me to hear someone say something negative about the state I live in or the city I live in, but it does bother me when people choose to move to this city or state and then they b**** and complain about every little thing and always talk about how great everything was where they use to live! Why don't you move back if it was sooo great there and you're sooo miserable here?! For example, I live in Florida and I have all my life, I have friends from all of the US and all over the world, in fact, my husband was born in Russia and spent most of his life in NYC. But there are always a couple people that just hate everything about FL and always talk about how wonderful everything was before they moved here. Most of the people that I know that hate FL are from NYC. Like I said before, no city or state is perfect and everyone has their own opinions, I also understand that some people really don't have much of a choice what city or state they live in, but the people that I know that hate it here are here by choice and could leave whenever they wanted! So, I can't stand people like that! lol!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:35 AM

1,930 posts, read 9,473,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Every state has positives and negatives.

Just because a state is not like "YOU" think it should be does not make it bad, it just makes it not right for you.
Just because a state and its people are more rural and you are from a larger state and/or city does not make you better than them (By the way my biggest pet peeve is when anyone things they are better than someone else).
Just because people have a different way of life than you does not give you the right to look down upon them.

I am from Arkansas so believe me I have heard all the ignorant crap that comes with being from a rural southern state (IE; Sleeping with out cousins, not wearing shoes, being stupid, etc, etc, I could go on all day). I am also fully aware of the positives and negatives of my state, but TO ME it is home, and I love it good, bad, pretty and not so pretty.

I say before you make any judgment on any state or its people, go experience it, form an educated opinion of your own, if you don't like it OK, go back home and chalk it up to lessons learned.

If you have never been to a state or known its people don't spout off ignorant rantings without having first hand knowledge of what you are talking about.
I agree 100%!! As I said in my last post, I live in FL and I have lived in FL my whole life! I have lived in north east FL, south east FL, south west FL, and a few different cities in central FL, I absolutely love FL because it's my home, I have lived here my whole life! Of course there are negative things about living in FL, but for me the positives way outweigh the negatives. I cannot stand when people make judgments about FL when they have never even lived here! For example, a lot of people assume that FL is just over flowing with seniors, and I have not lived in a city yet that is like that! All of the cities I have lived in (Jacksonville, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Myers, Orlando, Gainesville, Orange Park, Daytona) are wonderful places. Of course they have their negatives, like the traffic is horrible, there's construction all of the place, it's always hot and humid, it storms a lot, theres a lot of bugs, theres a lot of alligators and snakes, etc lol , but no city or state is perfect!

Old 09-29-2007, 02:02 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,136,478 times
I'm guilty of taking offense from that.

but I always try to realize that I'm happy where I am and that's all that matters. Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:32 PM

718 posts, read 2,485,147 times
it is completley normal to be proud of where you are from, and to ready at a minutes notice to defend it. just ask a texan.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:17 PM

655 posts, read 2,100,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
it is completley normal to be proud of where you are from, and to ready at a minutes notice to defend it. just ask a texan.
Or an Ohioan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or