U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:34 PM

20 posts, read 34,480 times

Advertisements

Thats alright. We're looking at Chattanooga and Greenville as well now. Always good to have options!

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 PM

717 posts, read 2,500,887 times
While I was traveling the GA, NC, and VA in December, I spent some time in Asheville (again) as I am looking for some place different to call home. Asheville is a pretty and unique city. However, right now the job prospects for the area are not good. I talk with people everywhere I go--hotel, restaurants, stores, etc. and everybody in Asheville said the same thing. I love the southeastern states, but jobs in most of these places are tough to get right now. I used to live in Raleigh (Cary), but that was back in 2004. Loved it there. At the time, its economy was still vibrant and growing. Might try checking that one out.

Also, you mentioned "dry"--the southeast is not going to be dry--and the humidity in the summer gets up there.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 PM

^

Thank you very much for the information. Asheville really does seem like a nice place that fits a lot of our needs but naturally, a job is the biggest need. Perhaps in the future we could try it out but now doesn't seem like the best time.

We will also look up Raleigh! Thank you. =)

Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM

56,867 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Ithaca, NY...It depends on what you consider low rent though. Maybe parts of the major Upstate NY cities too like the Elmwood and North Buffalo areas, the Park Aveneue area of Rochester, the Westcott/University neighborhoods of Syracuse and the Lark Street area of Albany. Saratoga Springs might be what you are looking for too. Binghamton is a sleeper and has one of the best housing markets and safest areas in the country. I'll even add Corning and Plattsburgh too.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:19 PM

142 posts, read 362,525 times
Pittsburgh PA... our economy has been called recession proof. Always voted on best places to live, Ranked number 1 on Americas most livable citys, some of the lowest cost of living in the country, lots of entertainment...southside, northshore, station square all have tons of attractions.

Its a low cost of living, safe, fun town with a strong economy, jobs, and good schools. Also its a gorgeous city heres some pics...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:50 PM

Also, look at Wilmington,NC. It's a little more artsy than many places. It also used to be doing well,but I don't know about right now-I just haven't needed to look it up. It's a pretty town, used to be the "hollywood" of the east coast--meaning they used to be the setting for a lot of movies a few years ago--don't know if that is still true or not. I really liked it, but it was a little too small for me at the time-although they have all the necessary things you could want.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:00 PM

Thank you for the responses, everyone! We have looked up all of the suggested cities and have found that while we really like the idea of living in North Carolina or upstate New York, it seems that jobs are more plentiful in Colorado. We really like the Rockies and the west anyway. :P

If you have any suggestions of where we might live in Colorado, that would be great! Also, if you have any cities to suggest that are not in Colorado, we would still like to hear about them!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangerobot View Post
Thank you for the responses, everyone! We have looked up all of the suggested cities and have found that while we really like the idea of living in North Carolina or upstate New York, it seems that jobs are more plentiful in Colorado. We really like the Rockies and the west anyway. :P

If you have any suggestions of where we might live in Colorado, that would be great! Also, if you have any cities to suggest that are not in Colorado, we would still like to hear about them!
I had cousins that lived in Durango for several years and they really liked it, but I have no direct info about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or