U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2009, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
626 posts, read 1,025,581 times
Reputation: 491

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Let what go? Northern Aggression?
I'm talking about the OP... it was sarcasm.

 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:01 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Reputation: 6424
Nico seems to be starting several anti-southern threads. Richmond27 apparently without realizing it - is giving him/her/it ammunition.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 34,162,598 times
Reputation: 16839
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Nico seems to be starting several anti-southern threads. Richmond27 apparently without realizing it - is giving him/her/it ammunition.
Yep, looks like two trolls pissing on each others bridges.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 PM
 
7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
Reputation: 3610
The entire nation was exploiting the slave trade. Those textile mills in the industrial north were getting their cotton from somewhere.

Furthermore, you don't have to agree with slavery to think that there may be SOMETHING to the idea that, based on the original ideas of this country (founded as a Confederacy, at first, under the articles of Confederacy, and CONSTANTLY dealing with the issues of federal power vs state power...) the southern states MAY have been within their rights to secede.

I'm not sorry secession failed, and I'm glad we live in the United States of America with all 50 stars. That's a BLESSING. Still, to say it was all about slavers vs abolitionists, racists vs egalitarians, is oversimplified tripe.

Maybe I'm validating a troll thread by replying, but I think it's worth a few words.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,196,610 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico's the Man! View Post
show them this. It's very easy to bury your head in the sand and admit your ancestors were too stupid to develop a vibrant economy based on wages and basic human rights..




Here's Mississippi's Declaration of Secession From The Federal Union - 1861.


===========================
A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union - 1861

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

Your premise is ridiculous. Around 10% of people in the South even owned slaves.

Also, while you're doing YOUR homework, check out the fun facts about white indentured "servitude". The vast majority of white people came to these shores in chains, too.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Teaneck, NJ
1,576 posts, read 5,137,196 times
Reputation: 683
I'm all for them..They're free and successfully shown in the media now.

Thats all i need to say to a racist civil war fanatics. (whom I cant stand)
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,886,305 times
Reputation: 23217
Nico, the Civil War was about States' Rights and we lost States' Rights.

We lost the right to have prayer in our schools and until Northerners came down here and reported us, we just ignored that law and had blessing before lunch every day.

We lost the right to have Christmas trees in our library buildings. We ignored that too until the people from other states told us we couldn't do that anymore.

I memorized the 23 Psalms in third grade in public school. Can you see that happening now?

Oh, and abortion. We didn't used to have those in this state too.

Now, please give me the verse in the Bible that says owning a slave is wrong. I have read that you should be good to your slaves and slaves should obey their masters. I have heard people say it is wrong and you just said it is evil. Prove it, please. I don't know about you, but I see lots of people who are slaves to their credit cards right now.

Well you know what. You should be good and fair to your employees too. And you should not steal from your fellow man by a redistribution of wealth that was not earned.

When you start pointing a finger at others, you have two pointing at them and three pointing back at yourself. The Civil War ended more than 100 years ago. Don't you think it is time to move on. But be careful what direction you move on to. Communism is not the answer for our country.

And I hope that someone can show me that Bible verse because I don't like the idea of slavery. But some people treat animals better than they do other people. Think about it.

The Bible does say, "Thou shalt not kill." Abortion is murder.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,196,610 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Nico, the Civil War was about States' Rights and we lost States' Rights.

We lost the right to have prayer in our schools and until Northerners came down here and reported us, we just ignored that law and had blessing before lunch every day.

We lost the right to have Christmas trees in our library buildings. We ignored that too until the people from other states told us we couldn't do that anymore.

I memorized the 23 Psalms in third grade in public school. Can you see that happening now?

Oh, and abortion. We didn't used to have those in this state too.

Now, please give me the verse in the Bible that says owning a slave is wrong. I have read that you should be good to your slaves and slaves should obey their masters. I have heard people say it is wrong and you just said it is evil. Prove it, please. I don't know about you, but I see lots of people who are slaves to their credit cards right now.

Well you know what. You should be good and fair to your employees too. And you should not steal from your fellow man by a redistribution of wealth that was not earned.

When you start pointing a finger at others, you have two pointing at them and three pointing back at yourself. The Civil War ended more than 100 years ago. Don't you think it is time to move on. But be careful what direction you move on to. Communism is not the answer for our country.

And I hope that someone can show me that Bible verse because I don't like the idea of slavery. But some people treat animals better than they do other people. Think about it.

This is true. The bible was used for centuries to condone slavery. The bible has been used for centuries to condone lots of things. The bible is absolutely insane. Communism is not the answer for our country, I agree. Neither is the bible. Welcome to the 21st century.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,886,305 times
Reputation: 23217
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
This is true. The bible was used for centuries to condone slavery. The bible has been used for centuries to condone lots of things. The bible is absolutely insane. Communism is not the answer for our country, I agree. Neither is the bible. Welcome to the 21st century.

No, thank you very much. I don't want a welcome like that.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 34,162,598 times
Reputation: 16839
Now NCN don't be so fast in blaming what you have lost on the North. Some places here STILL have prayer at school, Christmas trees in the Library, and you have to drive a ways to find an abortion clinic. As for the Bible verse condemning slavery - it isn't there. There are even hospitals that still have the evening prayer over the speaker system throughout the facility every night.

Actually the Christmas tree is outside the library because it is a live one and they don't want to cut it down to drag inside during the season. Plus the Community Christmas tree with the decorations with family names and prayer requests in the branches might be a dead give-away that even in the North there is still religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top