U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,921,893 times
Reputation: 1114

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yep, looks like two trolls pissing on each others bridges.
Yes, they're canceling each other out. It's fun and entertaining to read them go back and forth with the 'rebel/yankee' talk (not full blown but give it time). I just thought about this but I am assuming that Nico's the Man is from the North and Vas is from the D.C. metro, if the two of them were living around that time who's to say that Nico would not have been a slave-owning Southern sympathizer (from PA or wherever you're from) and Vas would've suited up with the Union forces and loved every minute of it punishing the "traitors"? This is fun.

 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Teaneck, NJ
1,576 posts, read 5,135,929 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Nico, the Civil War was about States' Rights and we lost States' Rights.

We lost the right to have prayer in our schools and until Northerners came down here and reported us, we just ignored that law and had blessing before lunch every day.

We lost the right to have Christmas trees in our library buildings. We ignored that too until the people from other states told us we couldn't do that anymore.

I memorized the 23 Psalms in third grade in public school. Can you see that happening now?

Oh, and abortion. We didn't used to have those in this state too.

Now, please give me the verse in the Bible that says owning a slave is wrong. I have read that you should be good to your slaves and slaves should obey their masters. I have heard people say it is wrong and you just said it is evil. Prove it, please. I don't know about you, but I see lots of people who are slaves to their credit cards right now.

Well you know what. You should be good and fair to your employees too. And you should not steal from your fellow man by a redistribution of wealth that was not earned.

When you start pointing a finger at others, you have two pointing at them and three pointing back at yourself. The Civil War ended more than 100 years ago. Don't you think it is time to move on. But be careful what direction you move on to. Communism is not the answer for our country.

And I hope that someone can show me that Bible verse because I don't like the idea of slavery. But some people treat animals better than they do other people. Think about it.

The Bible does say, "Thou shalt not kill." Abortion is murder.
Are you saying slavery was ok???!!!
The bible also said "treat others as you want to be treated"

And as a kid i celebrated Christmas and did little Christmas plays and other holiday traditions in Newark, NJ. It was all stipped during the early 2000s when more and more immigrants from around the world who celebrated other holidays came to our public schools, and it was notfair to them having to deal with our typical holidays (though i think it's there own fault since they moved here) so it was banned to do all the holiday traditions in schools. It still is done even though swept under the carpet, but it's not because of the north.
And you just go to private Catholic/Christian schools if you want the religious classes.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:53 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,878,713 times
Reputation: 23217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Now NCN don't be so fast in blaming what you have lost on the North. Some places here STILL have prayer at school, Christmas trees in the Library, and you have to drive a ways to find an abortion clinic. As for the Bible verse condemning slavery - it isn't there. There are even hospitals that still have the evening prayer over the speaker system throughout the facility every night.

Actually the Christmas tree is outside the library because it is a live one and they don't want to cut it down to drag inside during the season. Plus the Community Christmas tree with the decorations with family names and prayer requests in the branches might be a dead give-away that even in the North there is still religion.
Those are just some things that could be covered by states rights. Until we had the influx of people from other states, a lot of things were different around here. I am just telling things the way they are. It seems to always start in NYC or California and spreads across the country. If we had states' rights, it could stop at our state line.

Sorry, but the Northern states are the ones that took away our state rights. That is a fact.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Richmond
1,191 posts, read 3,235,568 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Yes, they're canceling each other out. It's fun and entertaining to read them go back and forth with the 'rebel/yankee' talk (not full blown but give it time). I just thought about this but I am assuming that Nico's the Man is from the North and Vas is from the D.C. metro, if the two of them were living around that time who's to say that Nico would not have been a slave-owning Southern sympathizer (from PA or wherever you're from) and Vas would've suited up with the Union forces and loved every minute of it punishing the "traitors"? This is fun.
Actually I grew up in Virginia, not the DC Metro. If you consider Loudoun County the DC Area- which is in another state.

But I have lived in Richmond since I was 18. Most of my family is from Richmond since the 1600s, as well as the Deep South
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:59 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,398 posts, read 7,143,501 times
Reputation: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Nico, the Civil War was about States' Rights and we lost States' Rights.

We lost the right to have prayer in our schools and until Northerners came down here and reported us, we just ignored that law and had blessing before lunch every day.

We lost the right to have Christmas trees in our library buildings. We ignored that too until the people from other states told us we couldn't do that anymore.

I memorized the 23 Psalms in third grade in public school. Can you see that happening now?

Oh, and abortion. We didn't used to have those in this state too.

Now, please give me the verse in the Bible that says owning a slave is wrong. I have read that you should be good to your slaves and slaves should obey their masters. I have heard people say it is wrong and you just said it is evil. Prove it, please. I don't know about you, but I see lots of people who are slaves to their credit cards right now.

Well you know what. You should be good and fair to your employees too. And you should not steal from your fellow man by a redistribution of wealth that was not earned.

When you start pointing a finger at others, you have two pointing at them and three pointing back at yourself. The Civil War ended more than 100 years ago. Don't you think it is time to move on. But be careful what direction you move on to. Communism is not the answer for our country.

And I hope that someone can show me that Bible verse because I don't like the idea of slavery. But some people treat animals better than they do other people. Think about it.

The Bible does say, "Thou shalt not kill." Abortion is murder.
When the heck did this become a political platform?! And are you saying you agree with slavery?
 
Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 34,152,361 times
Reputation: 16839
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Those are just some things that could be covered by states rights. Until we had the influx of people from other states, a lot of things were different around here. I am just telling things the way they are. It seems to always start in NYC or California and spreads across the country. If we had states' rights, it could stop at our state line.

Sorry, but the Northern states are the ones that took away our state rights. That is a fact.
NYC and California are East Coast and West Coast and they take away ALL our rights both in the North and South.


Quick question also.
Why is everybody jumping on NCN about supporting slavery? The post goes on the say
Quote:
And I hope that someone can show me that Bible verse because I don't like the idea of slavery. But some people treat animals better than they do other people. Think about it.
Which looks like to me at least, not the support of slavery, but looking for anything that they believe in condemning the practice. I may not agree with a few of the statements made by NCN, but fail to see where they comment about agreeing with slavery.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,921,893 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Actually I grew up in Virginia, not the DC Metro. If you consider Loudoun County the DC Area- which is in another state.

But I have lived in Richmond since I was 18. Most of my family is from Richmond since the 1600s, as well as the Deep South
My point is that you could have sided with the North (or US) and fought for them. Who know right? This is obviously hypothetical but you could have had the same mindset as Sherman, Ya love the South but you would've never went against the Gov't.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,798,327 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Jefferson Davis himself said "We fight not for slavery, but for states rights"
The states' right to institute slavery.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Teaneck, NJ
1,576 posts, read 5,135,929 times
Reputation: 683
Most of the blacks didn't fight for the north in the civil war for nothing.

No matter how many ways you flip the "state rights" bs, slavery would of existed a lot longer if the south won.
 
Old 02-20-2009, 09:11 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Reputation: 5741
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The states' right to institute slavery.
When discussing history, at least try and get your semantics right. To "institute" slavery?

Again, read this one:

Slavery in the North

If it hadn't been for the northern slave trade (not a single slave ship was ever chartered out of a Southern port)...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top