U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 PM

7,281 posts, read 13,520,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico's the Man! View Post
Bumped from the top. Read the words and let them sink in. Any despicable act Here's Mississippi's Declaration of Secession From The Federal Union - 1861.

===========================
A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union - 1861

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.
[+] Rate this post positively
throughout the course of humanity has always had a justification. Slavery and the Souths fight to keep it for $$$$$ is no different. It is spelled out so clearly here.
Here's the thing. We all know (well, most of us know) that slavery was wrong. That doesn't mean the war wasn't about the right of states to decide for themselves whether or not they wanted to allow this behavior that we now all recognize as wrong.

African Americans were treated badly all over the country at that time, North and South, i'm sorry to say. Do not make the mistake of thinking that the North was altruistic in their motives. Early attempts to block secession had far more to do with preserving the union for economic purposes than for humanitarian purposes. That's why the Emancipation Proclamation wasn't signed until several years into the war. If it was job one, it'd have been signed on day one.

My point is, this is an exercise in complexity. Slavery had a lot to do with the war, but it was the right to self determination with regards to slavery that was probably a more accurate root cause.

The South wasn't filled with evil racists (at least not any more than the North at the time). The North wasn't filled with egalitarian abolitionists. It's all fairly complex.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:51 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,107,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
NCN has openly defended slavery.

Others have made it seem that slavery wasn't that bad - comparing it to an indentured servant. Yes, indentured servitude was rough, but it was nothing like slavery.
NCN did nothing of the sort. She simply stated facts of history. The fact you would even say she did indicates your own position is extremely weak.

If you want to condemn slavery...then lets start from the dawn of time and the first time one tribe conquered another. Not with the North and South.

This is stupid.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
NCN has openly defended slavery.

Others have made it seem that slavery wasn't that bad - comparing it to an indentured servant. Yes, indentured servitude was rough, but it was nothing like slavery.
I think NCN's trying to rationalize a biblical interpretation that is a little off kilter...

Slavery was bad. The one thing I WILL say is that most people who owned slaves in the South owned very few per family, and worked alongside them. In situations like that, slavery wasn't necessarily more brutal than indentured servitude or some draconian share-cropping arrangements (with the very HUGE difference that it was permanent or at least semi-permanent). There were VERY few southerners who owned massive plantations with hundreds of slaves. Those are where the truly brutal treatment was found, for the most part.

Just mentioning that for the sake of clarity. Again, all slavery was bad, but it was not all alike.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
NCN did nothing of the sort.
Well, she did say that she didn't know if slavery was right or wrong. Post 31.

It really doesn't matter, and has little to do with this discussion, but that part troubled me, too.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:02 PM

689 posts, read 1,209,176 times
Quote:
NCN did nothing of the sort. She simply stated facts of history. The fact you would even say she did indicates your own position is extremely weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Now, please give me the verse in the Bible that says owning a slave is wrong. I have read that you should be good to your slaves and slaves should obey their masters. I have heard people say it is wrong and you just said it is evil. Prove it, please. I don't know about you, but I see lots of people who are slaves to their credit cards right now.
NCN said:
The bible does not say that owning a slave is wrong.
Please prove that slavery is wrong.

Yes, that is defending slavery.

And comparing slave masters to credit card compaines??? Come on.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,222,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico's the Man! View Post
show them this. It's very easy to bury your head in the sand and admit your ancestors were too stupid to develop a vibrant economy based on wages and basic human rights..
So much for insulting masses of people. CLOSED

Serves me right for taking a nap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or