Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:25 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What do you think is the main factor dictating that? Rural vs Urban? Family upbringing? How many generations you've lived in a place? Socio-economics? Or simply a regional thing?

Btw I love most southern accents, more so than the boring standard American i hear on tv all the time.
I dont like to talk about this, but I grew up in generally what is called "Upper Middle Class". I speak English without bad grammar. I simply have a more pronounced "drawl"

Improper English would not be limited to the South- its really just that. Improper.

Perhaps rural does have a bit to do with it. I grew up in part of the suburbs of DC- but I also spent a lot of time in the countryside of Northern Virginia as well. Riding horses, and foxhunting on large estates.

I think our speech patterns are formed in early childhood. You can change them later on- but my influences stuck with me. Being an Actor, though, I can do different accents , so its not really an issue for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Yes, I for one don't think Southerners' grammar is especially bad, it's just as bad up North, I would guess...indeed Americans as a whole have faults aplenty. The Virginia Piedmont or Carolina or something type of southern has traditionally been seen as genteel, while that in West Virginia or Alabama is seen as more 'hick.'

Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Mississippi and Alabama.

[/thread]

Old 02-20-2009, 10:14 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
Parts of GA (Meriwether County for example) have such strong accents I cannot understand a single word the person is saying!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:42 PM

If we are going totally on an unscientifically based perception of "Southern" accents (as there are so many different ones!),

I think conceptionally- the strongest accent people have the perception of (even Southerners would seem to concur with this) are in Tennessee.

For some reason, I dont know why, but people think "Are you from Tennessee?? if you have a very very strong Southern accent.

This is how "Tennessee" Williams got his nick name. He had a strong drawl, and in college up North thats how he got the nick name.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:33 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Columbia, SC = annoying southern accent. Atlanta = pleasing southern accent. The people in both places are like that too. The Tennessee accent is strong. I guess it's alright.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:43 AM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
I have to disagree PeterRabbit. I found the people and accents much less pleasing in metro Atlanta than Columbia SC.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I have to disagree PeterRabbit. I found the people and accents much less pleasing in metro Atlanta than Columbia SC.
I like the Carolina/Virginia accent the most, actually...followed by a Mississippi delta accent. The worst is probably Texas or Georgia.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:56 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
You need to change that central Texas to East Texas. Central Texas is just about gone in the major cities and is diminishing as other cities start to grow. Some of them never really had it anyway.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I like the Carolina/Virginia accent the most, actually...followed by a Mississippi delta accent. The worst is probably Texas or Georgia.
I dont care for Texas- but I disagree about Georgia. I love Georgian- especially in Savannah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.