U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,313 times

Advertisements

Augusta, GA/ North Augusta, SC folks have strange accents. Here are some examples I've heard: ceiling pronounced "silling", home pronounced "huoom", sale pronounced "sell". There's a local radio ad where a woman uses all three and a couple more I can't remember right now. Drives me nuts. It's like they have an aversion to using long vowel sounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 05:27 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,114,506 times
It's weird how Southerners generally have a drawl, while people from the Upper Midwest (think Chicago or Minnesota) often have a sharp accent.

What are the reasons for this? The mix of English, Scots-Irish, and some German in the South vs German, Irish, Swedish, Norwegian, Italian, Polish, and many other European groups in the North?

Also, why doesn't California have a pronounced accent? Maybe it's because Californians came from all over the country (and world!), so they don't have long-established roots that would develop a really noticeable accent.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:02 PM

386 posts, read 551,142 times
To put things into perspective for maryland my fathers family has a cross between virginia piedmont and appalachia. My mothers family is distinctly tidewater or less commonly known as coastal southern. My accent has the very pronounced "o" from baltimore and is a cross between virginia piedmont and coastal. It varies.

As for the state as a whole we have a HUGE transient population especially in central maryland. But the state natives have the following: virginia piedmnot, coastal southern/tidewater, baltimore which is its own dialect with southern origin, appalachia, and upland PA like accents. Not to mention the "normal" accent you find in alot of places.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:19 PM

10,166 posts, read 6,500,461 times
I almost choked on my coffee when I read the Op's post that North Carolina does not have a Southern accent. I have a second home in western NC and believe me they certainly do have a Southern accent.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:51 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,822,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I almost choked on my coffee when I read the Op's post that North Carolina does not have a Southern accent. I have a second home in western NC and believe me they certainly do have a Southern accent.
The OP said "much of North Carolina".....that clearly doesn't suggest "all of NC". If you read more carefully, perhaps you won't choke on your coffee. The OP's comment is probably a nod to the fact that the cities in NC have become a melting pot for (mostly) East Coast transferees over the past few decades.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:32 PM

Well that is synonomous with alot of urbanization of the south. Its why alot of maryland lost its drawl, its why some people i know from tennesse, virginia and georgia have less drawl then what is assumed or none at all. Hell some of those people dont sound "southern" at all. That and the amount of transplants that are near urban areas.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 PM

8 posts, read 15,697 times
I live in Michigan (Been here darn near my whole life) and when I was visiting Chicago with some of my friends we were asked if were from the south and told we had a southern accent and on numerous other occasions visiting other parts of the country I have been asked if I was from the south... I guess if you think about it a good amount of people in Michigan's lower peninsula have a southern accent too. (Weird huh?)

Old 09-04-2011, 12:05 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,582,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wonder which city outside the south has the most people with southern accents? Of the major cities, some possibilities might be:

Washington, D.C.
Baltimore, MD
Cincinnati, OH
Evansville, IN
Santa Fe, NM
Bakersfield, CA
St. Louis, MO
Springfield, IL?

Some places like Wyoming might have a cowboy accent similar to Texan or something.
It's funny that you mention Springfield, Illinois, because a friend of mine moved here to Georgia, and when he mentioned where he was from, he said Illinois. I asked him if he was from southern Illinois, given that I thought that he sounded quite southern, and he said, no, "Central Illinois". I said, "around Springfield", and he said "close to that".

Are there a lot of people from Central Illinois and Springfield who have southern sounding accents?

Old 09-04-2011, 02:15 PM

10,166 posts, read 6,500,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The OP said "much of North Carolina".....that clearly doesn't suggest "all of NC". If you read more carefully, perhaps you won't choke on your coffee. The OP's comment is probably a nod to the fact that the cities in NC have become a melting pot for (mostly) East Coast transferees over the past few decades.
The same can be said of States further South also.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB92 View Post
I live in Michigan (Been here darn near my whole life) and when I was visiting Chicago with some of my friends we were asked if were from the south and told we had a southern accent and on numerous other occasions visiting other parts of the country I have been asked if I was from the south... I guess if you think about it a good amount of people in Michigan's lower peninsula have a southern accent too. (Weird huh?)
Alot of blue collar accents resemble southern accents to the untrained ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or