U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:31 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,568,091 times

Advertisements

You really ought to look at NW Arkansas, I have an Uncle in Bella Vista, it's sort of a retirement community, with nice houses and private lakes and golf courses. It's just a few miles away from Bentonville that has anything you'd want even an airport...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 01:15 PM

4,322 posts, read 8,262,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I love how everyone is telling the OP not to buy...or too buy something different...when all they asked is WHERE to buy! They are 60....I think they know what they want!!

To that point...I say look in the SW (not California!) or the Great Basin.
Exactly. They want to buy, just where is the question. We put all our money from a house we sold two years ago into another house and paid half down. When we sell the house we are in, we will pay off the other half. There is something to be said about being debt free in house payments and that is our goal. Then we will use the retirement income to travel or do whatever, but not be house poor.

I do agree with what others said in the fact of buying something smaller and a little cheaper. We downsized to 1580 square feet... cause thats all we need. Iinvesting in a CD right now isn't that great. I did it back when the cd was 5.3 percent for a 9 month (2007), then we took it out and put the half in the house and had the interest earned on that cd we used for our closing costs.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:18 PM

4,322 posts, read 8,262,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
Things are still good here and the weather is fine.
Texas would be a great place to. That was my second choice (Corpus Christi) if we wouldn't of picked southern Utah. Can't beat the Texas prices and the housing market is still good.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:24 PM

1,817 posts, read 5,963,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
WE have a wonderful public library in Rolla, plus we have a top-notch university with a fantastic library that is available for public use. The university also offers many highbrow cultural opportunities to students; these, too, are open to the public. We're hillfolk, so we're all gardeners and we have a Master Gardener group plus an active floriculture club.
Hmmm, maybe I should have looked further south.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:04 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,579,200 times
We live in Peoria, AZ and I would suggest looking at the fantastic deals they have at the Trilogy/Vistancia right now. We took a tour of the two new models they have and fell in love with them. It really is a very nice retirement development. My Trilogy Life - Welcome Best of luck in your search.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:17 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,609,438 times
Florida - too many hurricanes, too much humidity. Arizona, Nevada - too arid, scrubby.

Arkansas - just right. Four distinguishable seasons, beautiful springs and falls, mild winters. Fairly long growing season (not as long as Louisiana, where I am....we've got daffodils, saucer magnolias, and a few azaleas blooming already.....or Florida, but not as much heat and humidity, either!) For $300,000 you can get a really nice place in the Ozarks or Ouachitas or the foothills thereof......prettiest parts of Arkansas. If I were you, though, I'd size down from 3000 square feet and get more land, unless you can afford to hire someone to clean and keep up all that for you. I'd hate to keep up 3000 sq. ft. at my age, much less 60!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:23 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,486,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
If I were you, though, I'd size down from 3000 square feet and get more land, unless you can afford to hire someone to clean and keep up all that for you. I'd hate to keep up 3000 sq. ft. at my age, much less 60!
Amen!!

At least until John Deere starts making *riding vacuum cleaners*!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:57 PM

807 posts, read 2,233,826 times
300k will buy all the house you could ever think about taking care of in most places in AR.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:51 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,230,898 times
No, misplaced1, as I've said so many times before, but I'll say again: Rolla is no place for Californians, Floridians, New Englanders or any city person from anywhere for one main reason. We do not have a mall.

The city council and the chamber of commerce are ashamed of that fact, and the city is working feverishly on a plan to sprawl westward along I-44. This Rolla Westward Expansion could include a mall. If it does, then have mercy, we'll 1.) be overwhelmed with newcomers and 2.) have to bury downtown because malls kill downtowns.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:58 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerJohn View Post
Hi Nita, thanks. Yes, we did post in NM, AR, as well as a few more. We're really open to where we can move. We just finished a week long house search in the ABQ area. Beautiful, just beautiful. One house we really liked north of town had a well problem, as in the well went dry a few years ago and they had to tap into their neighbors' line. I'm not sure how the water problem is overall.

Sure, would like to have your realtor's contact info. Thanks,

John

hikerjohn52@gmail.com
John, I just sent you a private message via City Data cause Outlook Explorer does not work on my computer. Don't ask me why, it is called computer illiterate or something like that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.