U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2009, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,184 posts, read 67,327,076 times
Reputation: 15830

Advertisements

Can someone please tell the people from the South who have been polluting this forum as of late with inane inquiries and commentary that the Civil War has officially ended and that the North claimed victory, not the South? Anymore I am guaranteed a few more chuckles when I turn to the General U.S. forum and see the same several Southerners beating their chests proclaiming themselves as being the "true" America, being vastly superior to the north, having so much more "history" than the north, yada, yada, yada.

Why the sharp division between Northerners and Southerners on this forum? For what it's worth, the mass influx of Yankee transplants into Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, and North Carolina have now turned these states into being left-leaning ones over the past two decades (I think Tennessee is next) so perhaps if nothing else people in SOME parts of the South are becoming "Northernized?" What exactly is so "horrific" about being a "Yankee" anyways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 AM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,226,890 times
Reputation: 5131
I'm not sure of the reason, but there are going to be limits on them - you can only have so many of a similar theme - the rest will be closed. The days of opening topics of completely senseless stuff is nearing an end, because it's getting out of hand.

Folks need to think first before posting and put stuff up that has relevance to the room. "Will Aliens from Mars take over the South??" kind of stuff won't fly anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 09:22 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Reputation: 5741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Can someone please tell the people from the South who have been polluting this forum as of late with inane inquiries and commentary that the Civil War has officially ended and that the North claimed victory, not the South? Anymore I am guaranteed a few more chuckles when I turn to the General U.S. forum and see the same several Southerners beating their chests proclaiming themselves as being the "true" America, being vastly superior to the north, having so much more "history" than the north, yada, yada, yada.

Why the sharp division between Northerners and Southerners on this forum? For what it's worth, the mass influx of Yankee transplants into Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, and North Carolina have now turned these states into being left-leaning ones over the past two decades (I think Tennessee is next) so perhaps if nothing else people in SOME parts of the South are becoming "Northernized?" What exactly is so "horrific" about being a "Yankee" anyways?
Maybe it is because they talk funny and don't know what okra is?

Just kidding (hell, my own kids are "half-yankee"), but if you notice, the last several threads started were devoted to attacking the South. Are we just supposed to sit by and take it all without defending ourselves? Yes, as you say, the War ended many years ago. And we all know who won. However, that fact doesn't translate into that we will accept the status nor play the role of the properly chastised and humbled. Like some step-child who (supposedly) got out of line at one point in time and needs forever reminded of their transgressions, and should just be silent when it is brought up?

Like hell I will.

My own position is pretty much what General Lee said in his farewell address to the Army of Northern Virginia. Which goes like: We fought the good fight, but the odds against us were too great. The issue is settled, and it is now your duty to put bitterness aside, go home and become good citizens of a reunited country.

And Southerners done just that. We have nothing to apologize for in that realm. In fact, lots to be proud of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,522 posts, read 12,284,915 times
Reputation: 3827
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
"Will Aliens from Mars take over the South??"
This would be an excellent topic for a new discussion. I'm surprised it hasn't come up yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 18,744,494 times
Reputation: 10164
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Which goes like: We fought the good fight, but the odds against us were too great.

The odds sure were, what with Confederate army and corps commanders like Bragg, Pemberton, both Johnstons, Cheatham, Polk, Hood, both Hills (well AP did improve his last year), Hindman, Floyd, Pillow and Van Dorn. Even the reliable and very capable Longstreet buggered up at Chattanooga and Knoxville.

Polk, Jesus, the image of Polk having breakfast and reading the newspaper the morning of the second day at Chickamauga while Bragg fumed awaiting Polk's attack.....it took Polk to make Bragg look good.

Kind Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 09:54 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Reputation: 5741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The odds sure were, what with Confederate army and corps commanders like Bragg, Pemberton, both Johnstons, Cheatham, Polk, Hood, both Hills, Hindman, Floyd, Pillow and Van Dorn. Even the reliable and capable Longstreet buggered up at Chattanooga and Knoxville.

Polk, Jesus, the image of Polk having breakfast and reading the newspaper the morning of the second day at Chickamauga while Bragg fumed awaiting Polk's attack.....it took Polk to make Bragg look good.

Kind Regards
LOL Which was no small feat!

BTW --was it Ewell who later admitted something like "It took a lot of mistakes to lose at Gettysburg, and I made most of them"...?

Kind regards in turn, IrishTom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
623 posts, read 1,024,239 times
Reputation: 486
yet this thread was started in the process as well..
Title should read" Whats up with all the threads on the South Lately by Non Southern Forumers"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,184 posts, read 67,327,076 times
Reputation: 15830
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
yet this thread was started in the process as well..
I'm just asking for an explanation from the same few "culprits" who have been running amok. If I were to start six threads on the City vs. City forum of "Scranton vs. ____" I'd probably be reamed out royally. As a Northerner considering a move to the South, I do worry about the potential for some of these Civil War-era feelings to have NOT yet been resolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
623 posts, read 1,024,239 times
Reputation: 486
If it's a "few culprits" then why are you really worried about it? It's prob two 16 year olds in class...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,184 posts, read 67,327,076 times
Reputation: 15830
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
If it's a "few culprits" then why are you really worried about it? It's prob two 16 year olds in class...
The one is a man in his late-20s who is a reincarnation of a member who was banned in the past. I can't speak for the others. We seem to attract more than our fair share of "characters" here to City-Data though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top