U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 PM
77 posts, read 338,087 times
Reputation: 37


Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently immigrated to the United States from Canada so I could take a job at a local University. My wife has been applying for various jobs online, and for many of the job applications she had to enter her SSN. She doesn't have an SSN because she is here on a J2 VISA, instead she has an ITN (individual taxpayer number), which functions in most cases exactly like an SSN (at least for tax purposes). Consequently when the applications asked for her SSN she entered an ITN. Several of those companies did criminal backgrond searches on her using her ITN, because we entered it as an SSN (as we had been told to do). The results of those came back to us as having an invalid SSN. So my question is, what do we do? Should we contact the individual companies that requested the SSN and explain that we have an ITN, and not an SSN? Do we contact the background search company directly?

Thanks a lot,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 06:50 AM
3 posts, read 49,831 times
Reputation: 10
Any employment office (like at a university) will know about the difference between a TIN number and a social security number. There should be no problem about your wife's TIN number. However, most employee background search companies do pre-employment background checks based on SS numbers. It would do no harm and might help if you contact the big background check companies and tell them that your wife uses a TIN number. The big companies are often responsive to correcting information in their files. You may also want to contact the big 3 credit reporting agencies and see what information they have on your wife. Per the Fair Credit Reporting Act, FCRA you can get one free credit report from each company, once a year
  • Equifax 1-800-685-1111 -
  • TransUnion 1-800-916-8800 - receive within 6 to 8 business days.
  • Experian 1-888-397-3742 - receive within 8 to 10 business days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top