Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 08:57 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,024,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I would say some accents from the South sound very British West-Country, ( just been watching Poldark, which is set in Cornwall)
Would you say the upper south has these traits? As that was the region settled by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,937,507 times
It's definitely gotten softer in the larger cities across the south, but definitely still there.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It's definitely gotten softer in the larger cities across the south, but definitely still there.
The same thing is happening in the North, though. Some traits of Northern accents like what NYC or Boston accents sound like are not heard of anymore. Interestingly they aren't moving toward General American, but more into a heavily nasal Great Lakes accent as the Northern Cities Vowel Shift slowly crawls east and west. This means some Northern accents get stronger while some get weaker. Philly, NYC, and Boston are losing their distinctive accents in their own way as NCVS crawls east. What is interesing though is that the Southern trait of Philadelphia, O fronting, shows no sign of going anywhere.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 04-02-2015 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 05:17 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,151,181 times
The Southern accent will not die y'all.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:17 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,350,749 times
Not o my watch! I have deliberately surrounded my children with "southern speak" from their preacher to Santa Claus.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:30 PM

7,728 posts, read 6,411,855 times
It ain't going nowhere. People say this about all accents, I'm beginning to think most people that say this are so used to a certain accent they don't notice it. People have always said "Oh, people in the Twin Cities don't speak with a Minnesota accent. It's very neutral." Okay, sure. In what world is pronouncing "bag" like "beg" and elongating the "ooo" neutral? :P People say the same thing about DFW. "Only people in the country have an actual Texas accent." Whatever you say

Accents in cities are definitely more watered down but oh they're not going anywhere. Sometimes its subtle but yea. I don't see why the southern accent would go away or any other accent. I've yet to find a place where people truly "talk neutral." Everywhere has certain distinct traits and even "accentless" people only SEEM so until they say certain words, or are drunk or angry. I never even noticed how much an accent I have til I moved to Minnesota! I bet you there's lots of southerners who don't think they have an accent, but they do. Its subtle but its there. Same thing with northerners.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:29 PM

5,544 posts, read 9,472,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It ain't going nowhere. People say this about all accents, I'm beginning to think most people that say this are so used to a certain accent they don't notice it. People have always said "Oh, people in the Twin Cities don't speak with a Minnesota accent. It's very neutral." Okay, sure. In what world is pronouncing "bag" like "beg" and elongating the "ooo" neutral? :P People say the same thing about DFW. "Only people in the country have an actual Texas accent." Whatever you say

Accents in cities are definitely more watered down but oh they're not going anywhere. Sometimes its subtle but yea. I don't see why the southern accent would go away or any other accent. I've yet to find a place where people truly "talk neutral." Everywhere has certain distinct traits and even "accentless" people only SEEM so until they say certain words, or are drunk or angry. I never even noticed how much an accent I have til I moved to Minnesota! I bet you there's lots of southerners who don't think they have an accent, but they do. Its subtle but its there. Same thing with northerners.
Amen. Same for Oklahoma. As long as there are bonafide Okies, there will be an Okie accent.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:

If anything I feel the Southern accent will migrate North and the Northern one to the South. They'll just shift position.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:57 AM

37,838 posts, read 41,717,407 times
Quote:
People have always said "Oh, people in the Twin Cities don't speak with a Minnesota accent. It's very neutral." Okay, sure. In what world is pronouncing "bag" like "beg" and elongating the "ooo" neutral? :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZpXWOE3plc

Old 10-06-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You have this permanently hyperlinked don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.