Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:34 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

Alot of young people have a very weak or even absent Southern accent...according to this dialect site. I'm talking proper Southern. I think it might well die out in 50-100 years, while the Gen Am will probably last til' Doomsday! lol

Damn wrong board again...if the mods are listening, move this thread. Sorry again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 AM

341 posts, read 1,337,516 times
I could see that. Here in Atlanta I can hear a big difference in how the older people who are from here talk, and how the teenagers who are from here talk. The kids in their teens here almost sound like a mix between a NYC accent and a down south accent. But on the other hand I dont think it will die out for good in all areas. In fact the southern accent is spreading IMO, with the emergence and dominance of Southern Hip Hop people who listen to it sometimes try and emulate the sland and dialect of southern urban areas like Atlanta and New Orleans. Ive met people from the bay area, St. Louis, DC, Boston who tried to sound like they were from the south and I have no idea why. Especially in my hometown, thats the trend now, to try and sound like your from the south.

Last edited by Crazy Virgo Child; 02-23-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,612 times
Its already dying !

Old 02-23-2009, 11:44 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,533 times
There are so many rural areas in the south that still have such a strong accent. I could see maybe in 200-300 years but I'm not seeing it disappear completely for a long long time. It's mostly urban areas that are losing/have lost the accent.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Alot of young people have a very weak or even absent Southern accent...according to this dialect site. I'm talking proper Southern. I think it might well die out in 50-100 years, while the Gen Am will probably last til' Doomsday! lol

Damn wrong board again...if the mods are listening, move this thread. Sorry again
Young people usually don't have it when they leave school and they have been taught proper english, but a few years later it starts to creep in.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Young people usually don't have it when they leave school and they have been taught proper english, but a few years later it starts to creep in.
"Proper English" is not mutually exclusive to a Southern accent. Improper English is just that.

An accent is the local flavor of the region. Some Southern cities have a very Upper Crust accent among their elite, that rivals the British!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 PM

917 posts, read 2,298,545 times
I hope so!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:36 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,390 times
every accent will be lost sooner or later. It's sad to say. I love accents of all kinds, it gives you a sense of character.

I still have my "NOORK" accent (similar to ny's) and im proud of it because who knows how many generations later it will be alive.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
every accent will be lost sooner or later. It's sad to say. I love accents of all kinds, it gives you a sense of character.

I still have my "NOORK" accent (similar to ny's) and im proud of it because who knows how many generations later it will be alive.
I can't see the Hollywood American accent dying off anytime - I suppose maybe in centuries. What's annoying is it's even beginning to erode the Australian accent here, halfway around the world. Teens today don't watch the 'noos' (news) and call each other jerks and dudes. . When dude begins to replace mate, and fewer kids use real slang, our language is on the path to Americanization. It annoys me, rather.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:59 AM

767 posts, read 2,065,540 times
In alot of areas, it seems like the southern accent is more pronunced among the working class and people who live in more rural areas. It is definitrely more pronounced among older people as well. I know of few places where younger professionals and college students have a strong southern accent (or any other accent for that matter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.