U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 01:35 PM

32 posts, read 80,285 times

Advertisements

- WARM climate
- tolerable cost of living
- 4BR single family < 400K, decent acreage
- access to a city with some culture, diversity
- access to the ocean, or at least something of comparable natural/relaxing beauty
- access to outdoor activities
- good public education, strong parent involvement
- culteral / ethnic / religious / international diversity, decent ethnic food, availability of interesting groceries (a la Trader Joe's)
- child friendly
- dog friendly
- low crime
- at least some presence of socially liberal ideas, funky people, arts, etc

any ideas are appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 02:22 PM

669 posts, read 2,946,523 times
Well, I'm not entirely sure what size city you want, but I thought of Atlanta.

-Low cost of living for a city
-I think you'd have no issue finding that kind of house
-I'm not sure about diversity, but judging by stats it should have some
-No ocean, but mountains
-Outdoor activities, yes
-Good public education, not sure.
-Food I can't tell you
-Child friendly, yes
-Dog friendly, yes/maybe
-Low crime, no, but declining
-Liberal areas in a pretty conservative state

Okay, probably not the best suggestion - but it's something.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:55 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,766,687 times
I thought of Atlanta, too, although you do need to be very selective about neighborhoods to fit the criteria of low crime and good public schools.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:04 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,367,918 times
I thought of Raleigh, namely the areas around Carrboro, Cary and Chapel Hill. You're around three hours from the beaches of the Outer Banks (and not that much further to Virginia Beach if you prefer more touristy beach fare), and about four hours from the mountains. The schools are some of the best in North Carolina, and the areas are also some of the most liberal and diverse in the state with a growing selection of ethnic restaurants to choose from. The cost of living is still tolerable although it is climbing and in general, the area is low-crime and child and dog-friendly.

Edit: The suburbs of Austin are another place you may want to look, nestled in Texas' beautiful Hill Country and not a horrific drive from the coast. Austin is of course renowned for it's quirky edge and the sort of funky, artsy people in attracts, but the schools leave something to be desired so sticking to the suburbs like Round Rock would be best.

Last edited by dullnboring; 03-19-2007 at 05:26 PM..

Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 PM

483 posts, read 1,782,965 times
How about Austin, Texas?

Old 03-19-2007, 11:02 PM

3,226 posts, read 12,875,007 times
Round Rock, TX.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:11 AM

32 posts, read 80,285 times
Thanks for the input. My wife and I had in fact looked into Austin and the research triangle in NC. Atlanta perhaps, although the public education and crime were definitely an unknown.

Jenbar, it was interesting to read some of your threads on the Austin area. The very thing that worries my wife and I the most about some of the southerly locations is that we will in fact feel like fish out of water due to our not being conservative or religious enough, too sarcastic, too much into strange things such as Trader Joe's (man would I miss that place), and the list of worries goes on. We too would want to be in the country for safety, space, nature, kid quality of life but are afraid of the cultural aspects of that. We have a hard time sometimes up here in New England with suburban culture, but weather, cost of living (home prices), and the urge to try something new is making us try to expand our horizons. Moving just for the sake of it and then being miserable is probably the biggest fear here.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:47 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,996,299 times
- WARM climate........Houston, Texas(hot summers)
- tolerable cost of living........Houston, Texas(cheap)
- 4BR single family < 400K, decent acreage........Houston, Texas(nice $150k homes)
- access to a city with some culture, diversity........Houston, Texas(huge city)
- access to the ocean, or at least something of comparable natural/relaxing beauty........Houston, Texas(gulf)
- access to outdoor activities........Houston, Texas
- good public education, strong parent involvement........Houston, Texas
- culteral / ethnic / religious / international diversity, decent ethnic food, availability of interesting groceries (a la Trader Joe's)........Houston, Texas
- child friendly........Houston, Texas
- dog friendly........Houston, Texas
- low crime........Houston, Texas(less crime than many other cities)
- at least some presence of socially liberal ideas, funky people, arts, etc........Houston, Texas

Thats your choice!

Old 03-20-2007, 11:54 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,071,356 times
Default Portland!!

Portland, Oregon has all of that stuff... but it's more of a "marine" climate than a WARM one. If you can tolerate rain for part of the year, the rest is fairly warm and sunny! I'm a little biased, since I lived in Oregon for a few years & LOVE Portland, but I swear it has all (at least 95%?) of your requirements. And if you're not looking for a big city, Eugene (OR) is another that might suit your needs.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:13 PM

25 posts, read 128,209 times
Your list, B Ma, is pretty much ours. We're going to try to escape from Delaware this year. Our children are happily in college elsewhere, so we are not as focused on local education as you are, but--on the other hand--excellent schools usually go along with other kinds of excellence in a community.

We don't want a very warm climate, but not extremely cold either. If not for extremely cold, we'd probably head to Madison WI, or that area, as it seems to have exactly what we want otherwise, and we think that all the lakes would help us to miss the ocean less.

We haven't entirely ruled out the Raleigh NC area, though we hadn't been planning to move much farther south. We have a lot of house here in Delaware, but because this is central Delaware, we won't get much for it, so we're hoping for a good-sized house in the 275-300K range. Can anybody tell us what that would buy in the Raleigh area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or