Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,679,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I personally think Richmond is precisely where the South - in its broadest sense - begins. Richmond is not geographically deep in the south at all.

And you can include most of Kentucky, even if you don't include most of Virginia. Just like WV is far more southern than Missouri even though they're both as far north, southerness also depends on easterness as well as northerness. I think 1/4 to 1/3 of VA is truly southern. As a whole I don't think VA is culturally southern anymore.
Why most of the Kentucky? Virginia and Kentucky are about the same parellell.

Kentucky wasnt even in the Confederacy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 PM

657 posts, read 1,499,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post

Because RICHMOND not KENTUCKY is on the doorstep of the Bos-Wash megalopolis, one of the largest in the world.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,793,234 times
Quote:

Because Kentucky has a more heartland, rural feel. Also not 'pure' southern like Virginia, but by area more southern in dialect, lifestyle, politics.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Because RICHMOND not KENTUCKY is on the doorstep of the Bos-Wash megalopolis, one of the largest in the world.
But I have lived in Richmond, and I have yet to feel any influence from DC/Baltimore. Really- look at the gap between Richmond and DC.

Theres no cities in between except little 'ol Fredericksburg. Richmond is so close to NC- that we identify with Eastern NC as well as Old Virginia.

Our restaurants serve sweet tea. We have Southern drawls. We are not part of the NE mentality. We have a slower pace of life.

Richmond is culturally very Southern. Even more so than most cities in the Deep South.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
But I have lived in Richmond, and I have yet to feel any influence from DC/Baltimore. Really- look at the gap between Richmond and DC.

Theres no cities in between except little 'ol Fredericksburg. Richmond is so close to NC- that we identify with Eastern NC as well as Old Virginia.

Our restaurants serve sweet tea. We have Southern drawls. We are not part of the NE mentality. We have a slower pace of life.

Richmond is culturally very Southern. Even more so than most cities in the Deep South.
Just because you, ONE PERSON in all of Richmond, does not feel any influence from DC/Baltimore/NY/Philly/Boston doesn't mean the millions plus other people in greater Richmond area don't.

There may be a handful of restaurants that serve sweet tea, not every single one. And most of them most likely do it as a novelty. Like green tea is served in Asian restaurants. You may have a "pretend" Southern drawl that you phonetically spell out to prove a silly point. But the rest of the city doesn't. Not in this day and age so close to the 95 corridor and it's very potent influence.

You are one individual and cannot speak for the whole Richmond metro area. Stop electing yourself spokesperson.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Just because you, ONE PERSON in all of Richmond, does not feel any influence from DC/Baltimore/NY/Philly/Boston doesn't mean the millions plus other people in greater Richmond area don't.

There may be a handful of restaurants that serve sweet tea, not every single one. You may have a "pretend" Southern drawl that you phonetically spell out to prove a silly point.

You are one individual and cannot speak for the whole Richmond metro area. Stop electing yourself spokesperson.
My family are old Richmonders, and even today, there is still very much a Richmond accent here. It is definitely Southern, not Northern.

True. I cannot speak for everyone in Richmond. However, being a 12th Generation Richmonder , and living here since 1998, I think I know how Richmond is.

You could go down to Atlanta and get a much more NE feel than Richmond ever has. I have been to the Deep South- as well as TN, then up to the Northeast.

Richmond city is much much more like the South, than the NE.

Sweet Tea is served at least most all the restaurants here. Not to mention we have BBQ, Grits, etc.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
My family are old Richmonders, and even today, there is still very much a Richmond accent here. It is definitely Southern, not Northern.

True. I cannot speak for everyone in Richmond. However, being a 12th Generation Richmonder , and living here since 1998, I think I know how Richmond is.

You could go down to Atlanta and get a much more NE feel than Richmond ever has. I have been to the Deep South- as well as TN, then up to the Northeast.

Richmond city is much much more like the South, than the NE.

Sweet Tea is served at least most all the restaurants here. Not to mention we have BBQ, Grits, etc.
At least most all restaurants? Did you actually read what you just wrote? That makes no sense.

BBQ and Grits are found in Richmond's southern-style cuisine and soul-food restaurants. Are grits and sweet tea served in the sushi bars in Richmond? The Italian restaurants in Richmond? The French bistros? The Mexican cantinas? No. They are served in southern-style restaurants in Richmond like they are served in southern-style restaurants in NY, LA, Alaska and London.

Just because your family has filled you with delusions of grandeur about your heritage, please don't subject the rest of us to them. And stop trying to project them on the city around you that is ANYTHING BUT what you paint it to be.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,793,234 times
No city in the South today is like it was in the era of Gone with the Wind, not even Charleston or Savannah.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,737,805 times
Quote:
True. I cannot speak for everyone in Richmond.
The best statement you've said thus far to date.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
At least most all restaurants? Did you actually read what you just wrote? That makes no sense.

BBQ and Grits are found in Richmond's southern-style cuisine and soul-food restaurants. Are grits and sweet tea served in the sushi bars in Richmond? The Italian restaurants in Richmond? The French bistros? The Mexican cantinas? No. They are served in southern-style restaurants in Richmond like they are served in southern-style restaurants in NY, LA, Alaska and London.

Just because your family has filled you with delusions of grandeur about your heritage, please don't subject the rest of us to them. And stop trying to project them on the city around you that is ANYTHING BUT what you paint it to be.
You can get Sweet Tea even at "The New York Deli" in Richmond !

Also at Nacho Mama's.

And at Strawberry Street Cafe, Baker's Crust, and just about any restaurant in Richmond. Except the silly hipster coffee shops.

You can get sweet tea at the local grocery stores too. At the market they have 2 canisters of iced tea- one sweet and one unsweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.