U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:10 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,134,955 times

Advertisements

The southern "thang" is getting old. The north is just the north, The history is history, and the present is now. The north still has its roots but it keeps up with the timing at the same time.

That's what the south is still struggling with. It holds on to it's history like it's the present and it makes it seem like they're back in time and not up to date with everything. We need this country to be up to date; especially now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:10 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,234,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Sorry but I 100% completley disagree with you. There's a whole new generation of voters, like Deacon said times change as well as attitudes.
That is true. But in general- not everyone is under 40 in the South. You see, and a lot of people of all ages are going for Obama in VA and NC. And this is a definite cultural shift.

BTW- I am under 30, and I proudly support McCain-Palin!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
That is true. But in general- not everyone is under 40 in the South. You see, and a lot of people of all ages are going for Obama in VA and NC. And this is a definite cultural shift.

That isn't necessarily southern...it's more simply narrow minded.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,134,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post

So if your a true white southerner you vote Mccain??
That's how you're making it out to be... Which is 100% ignorant.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That isn't necessarily southern...it's more simply narrow minded.
Narrow minded? Now thats very judgemental and narrow minded of you to say so!

I have nothing against O BA MA. Im just saying, that NE Liberalism is definitely part of supporting that campaign.

That is not to say that there are no liberals native to the South. Just look at John **coughs*** Edwards. However, when the majority of NC and VA go for someone as liberal as Obama- that is saying something!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:42 PM

3,284 posts, read 5,429,649 times
Honestly I believe that NOVA should separate from V.A. because it's totally different than the rest of VA, being connected to VA messes it reputation up!!! People always call VA southern but they call NOVA the mid-Atlantic well it can't be the mid-Atlantic if it's in Southern VIRGINIA!!! The Capital could be Arlington, or something!!! If it were a state it's population would over 2.5 million so it would be the 36th most populated state!!!

If NOVA were a state:
1. 36TH most populated state
2. The average income would be the nations highest at $76,116
3. The density would be the highest nations highest!!!
4. There would be multiple downtown's!!!
5. The Economy would be among the nations best!!!
6. its a lot more to mention !!!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Honestly I believe that NOVA should separate from V.A. because it's totally different than the rest of VA, being connected to VA messes it reputation up!!! People always call VA southern but they call NOVA the mid-Atlantic well it can't be the mid-Atlantic if it's in Southern VIRGINIA!!! The Capital could be Arlington, or something!!! If it were a state it's population would over 2.5 million so it would be the 36th most populated state!!!

If NOVA were a state:
1. 36TH most populated state
2. The average income would be the nations highest at $76,116
3. The density would be the highest nations highest!!!
4. There would be multiple downtown's!!!
5. The Economy would be among the nations best!!!
6. its a lot more to mention !!!
Yes, and I agree. However, 40 or 50 years ago Northern Virginia was just like the rest of Virginia. Much of the change has been in the past 25 years or so. BTW- The Mid-Atlantic region can overlap into the South. NC is sometimes called Mid-Atlantic as well.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 PM

3,284 posts, read 5,429,649 times
I know but to me and most northerners it's southern (NC)!!! Northerners call Maryland southern too...lol NOVA would be better off like that if you ask me!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I know but to me and most northerners it's southern (NC)!!! Northerners call Maryland southern too...lol NOVA would be better off like that if you ask me!!!
Yes, but I'm talking about from a strict geographical stand point. VA and NC are in the Upper South region- which is on the Coast- sometimes referred to as "Mid-Atlantic"

Maryland is a border state with elements of both North and South....

I think being Southern is a compliment. It means a more laid back, genteel, and refined lifestyle. Afternoons at the Country Club, mint juleps on the porch, and a knack for small talk.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:25 PM

880 posts, read 2,529,128 times
I hope NC and VA become more blue as time goes on. That may give me hope of a place to move in the future. I feel out of place in the socially conservative environment I find myself in! That and I cannot take a sip of sweet tea without feeling sick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.