U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,696,333 times

Advertisements

And some people don't recognize a little good-natured leg pulling when they see it. Right, TR?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 07:04 PM

570 posts, read 642,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Oh, I always thought of me living in the most "Northern" part of Kentucky...partly because I live so close to Cincinnati, but mostly because the three counties of Kentucky that are close to Cincinnati (Boone, Kenton and Campbell) are, geographically, the most northern parts of KY.

I can't really see the WV Panhandle as being part of the South. I spent Memorial Day weekend visiting my husband's relatives in the Steubenville,OH/Weirton, WV area. To me, Chicago feels more Southern than Weirton. (OK, those in Chicago, please don't take this as saying Chicago is in the South. )

Besides, if you travel due north from Weirton about 120 miles, you'll run into Lake Erie. That's not South.
I agree, that area isn't southern at all. I have relatives in Weirton and they still get crap for being from West Virginia though.

I actually have to go in a northwesterly direction to see them too. Weirton is further north than where I am in PA.

But although the area borders on OH and PA, it's still WV. The road signs, the county government structure (unlike the townships of OH and PA), and even the terrain looks more like WV.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:12 PM

26,555 posts, read 47,250,040 times
The problem with this is that you can NOT go along state boundaries. County boundaries would be a better bet for certain. I would have to say that heading down I-95 you don't officially feel like you're in the "South" until you've cleared Fredericksburg, VA due to the sprawl filling in in between from Washington, DC, which definitely does not feel like a "Southern" city. I say ditto on I-81 for around Winchester, VA, which I still consider to be "Northern" in cultural aspects as Route 7 between Winchester and Washington DC will be likely to continue to fill in over the next few decades. I think Culpeper, VA may be your first "Southern" town in NoVA. Fredericksburg, VA was most definitely Southern for quite some time but now I feel as if it has been marginalized as it transitions to exurb of DC.

The Eastern WV panhandle is Northern and dependent upon DC. The Northern WV panhandle has a "Rust Belt" orientation (Wheeling/Weirton) and should be classified as Northern. All of Kentucky feels Southern to me, as does the bulk of WV (save for Morgantown, which is probably the dividing line in WV between North/South if you were to draw a line there across the state). Huntington, WV feels Southern. Charleston, WV feels like more of a hybrid but probably has a Southern edge.

The North/South divide would then extend just below Fredericksburg, VA, just above Culpeper, VA, just below Winchester, VA, and on over to just below Morgantown, WV, in my humble opinion, judging by cultural differences as you go a county or two north or south of this line.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:16 PM

570 posts, read 642,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The problem with this is that you can NOT go along state boundaries. County boundaries would be a better bet for certain. I would have to say that heading down I-95 you don't officially feel like you're in the "South" until you've cleared Fredericksburg, VA due to the sprawl filling in in between from Washington, DC, which definitely does not feel like a "Southern" city. I say ditto on I-81 for around Winchester, VA, which I still consider to be "Northern" in cultural aspects as Route 7 between Winchester and Washington DC will be likely to continue to fill in over the next few decades. I think Culpeper, VA may be your first "Southern" town in NoVA. Fredericksburg, VA was most definitely Southern for quite some time but now I feel as if it has been marginalized as it transitions to exurb of DC.

The Eastern WV panhandle is Northern and dependent upon DC. The Northern WV panhandle has a "Rust Belt" orientation (Wheeling/Weirton) and should be classified as Northern. All of Kentucky feels Southern to me, as does the bulk of WV (save for Morgantown, which is probably the dividing line in WV between North/South if you were to draw a line there across the state). Huntington, WV feels Southern. Charleston, WV feels like more of a hybrid but probably has a Southern edge.

The North/South divide would then extend just below Fredericksburg, VA, just above Culpeper, VA, just below Winchester, VA, and on over to just below Morgantown, WV, in my humble opinion, judging by cultural differences as you go a county or two north or south of this line.
Excellent post!

As a former resident of Clarksburg, WV, I think the North/South divide in that part of WV actually begins there though.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,745,616 times
Quote:

So...I-95, I-81 and Route 7 are developed and are continuing to fill in, so that means those areas don't "feel Southern"? I know you mentioned cultural aspects, but it's hard to imagine getting much of a cultural feel for any area just by driving through it on a highway.

Once again, the opinion seems to be that progress, density, and growth are disqualifying characteristics for an area to be deemed "southern".

Just to clarfy...you're saying that Culpeper is southern, but not Fredericksburg and Winchester?

Culpeper

Downtown Culpeper, Virginia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael6076/1460101899/ - broken link) historic downtown culpeper on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/misshaley/542947018/ - broken link)

Fredericksburg

on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marms/358355407/in/set-72157594330574240/ - broken link) Fredericksburg, Virginia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/plesko/3165513437/ - broken link)

Winchester

Winchester VA on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/35238033@N02/3266851929/ - broken link) Winchester VA on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/35238033@N02/3267672324/ - broken link)

Old 07-01-2009, 03:50 PM

26,555 posts, read 47,250,040 times
You're missing my point. Fredericksburg and Winchester are inevitably going to grow into full-fledged satellite cities of DC within the next 20-30 years if the growth continues. Leesburg was formerly a "Southern"-styled hamlet and is now an overgrown exurb of DC in and of its own right. It has nothing to do with growth in general---it has to do with that growth aligning those communities economically and eventually culturally with DC's growing influence.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:52 PM

8,052 posts, read 9,807,706 times
It begins in your mind. :-)

Old 07-02-2009, 05:38 PM

4,386 posts, read 5,626,634 times
the south start in Virginia

Old 07-04-2009, 06:34 PM

3,045 posts, read 2,911,998 times
Quote:
You're missing my point. Fredericksburg and Winchester are inevitably going to grow into full-fledged satellite cities of DC within the next 20-30 years if the growth continues. Leesburg was formerly a "Southern"-styled hamlet and is now an overgrown exurb of DC in and of its own right. It has nothing to do with growth in general---it has to do with that growth aligning those communities economically and eventually culturally with DC's growing influence.

That's a sad state for the city of Leesburg being ruined by DC influence. Any area influenced by DC today is in sad shape!

Old 07-04-2009, 06:41 PM

3,045 posts, read 2,911,998 times
Funny isn't it? The Looney leftest moving away from their disasters of over taxed, over regulated, direct violation of the Constitution local regulations? So why is it they want to do the same stupid over regulation, over taxed stupidity in the South when they have already seen it doesn't work for the benefit of the people and their rights? Like I've told mexicans, don't bring your failed ideas here. Go home and fix your country and leave mine alone. Only I don't tell them that nicely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.