U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2010, 09:03 PM

73 posts, read 89,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
This is better. At least you're using some standard to base your opinion.

Of course, I have already showed you that this is simply based on Oklahoma Territory's status as a "territory" and not a "state." (Oklahoma became a state in 1907.) A mere technicality as Oklahoma Territory residents (Native Americans from Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia as well as transplant anglo Southerners from a slew of Southern states) were overwhelmingly on the side of the Confederacy.

Cheers.
thanks. i have a problem with just spouting my opinion as fact without backing it i have been torn apart all over this forum because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:16 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,114,776 times
The South as a cultural region begin in Fredericksburg, VA from the North; the Atlantic Ocean from the East; Daytona, FL from the South; and Austin, TX from the West.

The Southeast consists of:

-Alabama
-Louisiana
-Arkansas
-Kentucky
-Virginia
-South Carolina
-North Carolina
-North Florida
-Eastern half of Texas
-Eastern half of Oklahoma
-Tennessee
-Georgia
-Mississippi

Old 02-07-2010, 04:57 PM

536 posts, read 793,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
The South as a cultural region begin in Fredericksburg, VA from the North; the Atlantic Ocean from the East; Daytona, FL from the South; and Austin, TX from the West.
Austin isn't really Southern. It's more Texan than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
The Southeast consists of:

-Alabama
-Louisiana
-Arkansas
-Kentucky
-Virginia
-South Carolina
-North Carolina
-North Florida
-Eastern half of Texas
-Eastern half of Oklahoma
-Tennessee
-Georgia
-Mississippi
Wrong, as usual. The South as a cultural region begins south of the Mason Dixon in the north, to the Florida Keys in the South, and Louisiana to the west. Texas can be included, but Texas is so diverse and has numerous influences -- Southern culture is only one of influences that makes Texas what it is. Oklahoma's really just a Southern Plains state.

There are some places in the South that aren't "Southern" or don't fit the "Southern mold". These places are large cities and suburbs that attract people from all over the world, so they tend to have more of an "un-southern" feel that people mistake for being Northeastern or whatever it is they incorrectly assume. This is usually the case for Central Maryland and Northern Virginia, or even South Florida or parts of Louisiana.

Southern culture, whatever that may be, definitely exists in Maryland. First, the native dialects(like Baltimorese) are partially influenced by Southern speech, and southern accents like the Tidewater one are just as native to Maryland as they are to Virginia. Second, native cuisine like crabs, Smith Island Pound Cake, Maryland Beaten Biscuits, Stuffed Ham and Maryland Fried Chicken, or tobacco, one of the state symbols that has a tremendous legacy in Maryland, all lean more in the Southern direction. Third, there is nothing "Northeastern" about Southern Maryland or the Eastern Shore. There are those who say Baltimore and DC aren't southern cities, yet they have Southern roots/origins, and continue to be influenced by the South in their own intricate way. Just because they've changed a lot from what they originally were, have gotten bigger, become more diverse, as many places have, doesn't mean they no longer fit into the region. But to see that requires letting go of cliched and oversimplified stereotypes of what the South is.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,718,668 times
I find it very funny that the southern most part of the US, South Florida, isn't considered the South. I happen to agree with that, but it is still ironic.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 PM

3,986 posts, read 3,505,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I find it very funny that the southern most part of the US, South Florida, isn't considered the South. I happen to agree with that, but it is still ironic.
Florida = the only state in the Union you have to go north to get to the South.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:23 PM

5,992 posts, read 6,604,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Florida = the only state in the Union you have to go north to get to the South.
What about Hawaii?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:42 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,744,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Austin isn't really Southern. It's more Texan than anything else.

Wrong, as usual. The South as a cultural region begins south of the Mason Dixon in the north, to the Florida Keys in the South, and Louisiana to the west. Texas can be included, but Texas is so diverse and has numerous influences -- Southern culture is only one of influences that makes Texas what it is. Oklahoma's really just a Southern Plains state.

There are some places in the South that aren't "Southern" or don't fit the "Southern mold". These places are large cities and suburbs that attract people from all over the world, so they tend to have more of an "un-southern" feel that people mistake for being Northeastern or whatever it is they incorrectly assume. This is usually the case for Central Maryland and Northern Virginia, or even South Florida or parts of Louisiana.

Southern culture, whatever that may be, definitely exists in Maryland. First, the native dialects(like Baltimorese) are partially influenced by Southern speech, and southern accents like the Tidewater one are just as native to Maryland as they are to Virginia. Second, native cuisine like crabs, Smith Island Pound Cake, Maryland Beaten Biscuits, Stuffed Ham and Maryland Fried Chicken, or tobacco, one of the state symbols that has a tremendous legacy in Maryland, all lean more in the Southern direction. Third, there is nothing "Northeastern" about Southern Maryland or the Eastern Shore. There are those who say Baltimore and DC aren't southern cities, yet they have Southern roots/origins, and continue to be influenced by the South in their own intricate way. Just because they've changed a lot from what they originally were, have gotten bigger, become more diverse, as many places have, doesn't mean they no longer fit into the region. But to see that requires letting go of cliched and oversimplified stereotypes of what the South is.
Spot on, imo.

There are cerain younger and/or less-traveled and/or close-minded residents of the D.C. metro area that are absolutely TERRIFIED of anything even remotely considered Southern. Some of the MD residents will not even acknowledge that most of Northern VA is Southern, as if per chance, it somehow marginalizes the "Northernness" of the D.C. area.

A lot of us consider it hilarious.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:43 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,744,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
And a lot us don't agree.

About 15 miles East of where you live is about as Southern as it gets.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:43 AM

5,643 posts, read 3,718,668 times
Default Immokalee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

More migrant immigrants than Southern.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:12 AM

8,904 posts, read 5,894,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

That's funny, because whenever I say I go to the south often to visit my parents in Florida, you're the one who tells me that isn't the south....yet 15 minutes east it is? Very strange logic there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.