U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,392,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I have been through the whole state. Small towns I don't remember the names of. Go look in my old posts from way back when if you're so interested in finding out.
Gotcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:38 PM

1,358 posts, read 2,266,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'd say roughly South & West of DC is where the South starts on the East Coast.
Which is exactly how 99% of people on the East Coast would define it.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,694,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'd say roughly South & West of DC is where the South starts on the East Coast.
Which is a good place to reiterate my map, the Telsur Southern speech map (red line) combined with the US Census ancestry map.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Which is exactly how 99% of people on the East Coast would define it.
Is there a poll you can link to to back this up?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 PM

8,049 posts, read 9,794,960 times
Quote:
Yet another thread turning into "Where has Rachael traveled"...I don't know why you guys are so interested in where I've been. I'm not listing all the towns and getting off-topic. If you're that interested, go find where I've discussed it in my old posts.
I'm not interested.

As for the Florida question, there are many, many parts of the state that are culturally Southern. Likewise, there are other parts of Florida that aren't even culturally American (as in the U.S.). So, I'd have to agree with those who say that Florida is a complicated state to classify. This is especially true if one considers that the least southern part of the state is also its most populated. If someone were to ask me to give guidance to its culture, I'd say that its Southerness is generally more prevalent the further North and inland that you go. Conversely, the more Southern and coastal you go, the less Southern it is. Just to complicate it some more, the Southeast coast of Florida has a decidedly different culture than the Southwest coast of Florida. Latin culture is stronger on the Southeast coast than the Southwestern coast. Northeastern infuence is greater in the Southeast while Midwestern influence is greater in the Southwest.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'm not interested.

As for the Florida question, there are many, many parts of the state that are culturally Southern. Likewise, there are other parts of Florida that aren't even culturally American (as in the U.S.). So, I'd have to agree with those who say that Florida is a complicated state to classify. This is especially true if one considers that the least southern part of the state is also its most populated. If someone were to ask me to give guidance to its culture, I'd say that its Southerness is generally more prevalent the further North and inland that you go. Conversely, the more Southern and coastal you go, the less Southern it is. Just to complicate it some more, the Southeast coast of Florida has a decidedly different culture than the Southwest coast of Florida. Latin culture is stronger on the Southeast coast than the Southwestern coast. Northeastern infuence is greater in the Southeast while Midwestern influence is greater in the Southwest.
+1!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:58 AM

8,904 posts, read 6,770,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'm not interested.

Good, because threads always turn into people asking where I've been. They're obsessed with finding out every detail. And I do agree; many parts of Florida are southern in nature.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM

13,463 posts, read 14,945,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Which is a good place to reiterate my map, the Telsur Southern speech map (red line) combined with the US Census ancestry map.
Don't agree with this map. It comes too far into Texas. I think back in the day, you can say that places like Amarillo to Midland-Odessa are Southern. But now in 2010, I think you can make an argument that these cities Southern traits have been diluted to the point where Southerners from states like Mississippi or South Carolina would not be familiar with. Now I know there was a unscientific but solid poll years ago. But I wonder how that translates to today. I think the line should go somewhere immediately west of San Angelo or Abilene.

As far as Florida. You cannot say all of Southern Florida is not Southern. Yeah, Naples is not a very good example of being Southern. But Clewiston, Pahokee, South Bay, Belle Glade, and few more are VERY Southern. To say otherwise shows that you know nothing about this portion of South Florida.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Good, because threads always turn into people asking where I've been. They're obsessed with finding out every detail. And I do agree; many parts of Florida are southern in nature.
With all due respect, I really don't think most of the people here are "obsessed" with the details of your travels at all.

It's really more about you claiming to be much more well traveled than you truly appear to be, in my opinion.

When pressed for details to back up your many questionable observations, your typical response is that you don't remember anything related to any of your claims.

It is really no wonder that this continues to go on, repeatedly.

You hold everybody here to exacting standards. When the same standards are applied to you, you either go missing - or question the motives of anyone that dares to hold you up to the said same standards.

Again, obsession is the wrong word. I like to think that the term "reality check" is much more relative.

Of course, this is all my opinion - but I know I am not alone.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,770,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
With all due respect, I really don't think most of the people here are "obsessed" with the details of your travels at all.

It's really more about you claiming to be much more well traveled than you truly appear to be, in my opinion.

When pressed for details to back up your many questionable observations, your typical response is that you don't remember anything related to any of your claims.

It is really no wonder that this continues to go on, repeatedly.

You hold everybody here to exacting standards. When the same standards are applied to you, you either go missing - or question the motives of anyone that dares to hold you up to the said same standards.

Again, obsession is the wrong word. I like to think that the term "reality check" is much more relative.

Of course, this is all my opinion - but I know I am not alone.

I don't make up anywhere I've been...I just don't answer to some of the questions about it since I don't want to go off-topic and get an infraction. I just report those who ask because it's way off-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.