Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,020,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkindravens View Post
Sorry I didn't see this thread, this probably would've been a better thread to post this on so yeah im posting it here, basically I just I really wanted to show a point that I feel like most people seem to miss about Florida and its "Southern" status.

From what i've traveled around the state (I live in South Florida) and from what I've heard from others who have traveled/lived as well as from what I've experienced when traveling i feel like this map i made perhaps is the closest definition to what "southern" is in Florida in terms of geographic location. The state is enormous, so its unfair to say "Florida isn't southern" and even when people say that "North of 1-4 or Orlando its the only true southern" i feel like are people who either have never been to Florida or only casually went through or people who live in such extreme parts of Florida and have never actually noticed what the rest of the state looks like around them.

The stronger the red, the more "southern" the area. Naturally, parts along the coast - especially eastern dade, broward and PB counties as well as areas like ft myers, marco, naples and cape coral are also not as southern. I also indicated that parts of Tampa, especially isouth (such as sarasota) and immediately west aren't "as" southern either (although look if want to find it and look hard enough and you'll definitely feel at home!). Finally, Orlando/disney/kissimmee and parts along the space coast (melbourne, vero beach, jupiter) may also have a lot of transplants so i left them pretty non-red as well. finally i head ppl say that even the first coast and NE florida coastlines may have transplants so i figured areas along the coast ought to be whiter as well.

Ppl may wonder why such a large chunk of S. FLA is red, especially when practically EVERYONE unanimously declares anything south of okeechobee to be new york or something. Well in case you're not a local or you've never been there's noting about the central southern part of florida that is remotely NEastern. It is literally rural agricultural land, small redneck towns, really small clusters of people who I guess live in "towns" and finally ALL WILDERNESS AND SWAMPLAND/ORANGE GROVES/PINE FORESTS/ HAMMOCKS. Literally, big cypress that picayune fatahachee whatever forst and the everglades dominate that entire area and anyone who is isolated enough to live in the middle of a swamp is uh yeah not going to be from New Jersey or Connecticut. The few and small populations that lives along that swath is pretty dam southern. and finally North Florida is and is very proud of being Southern.

People can disagree and debate about the map but please don't say something like "FALSE NOTHING SOUTH OF ORLANDO IS SOUTHERN ITS ALL TRANSPLANTS" because thats just not true and ignorant. Even western PB and broward are pretty dam southern sometimes whenever i drive through. oh and I made two smallish white dots in gainesville and Tallahassee because i've never been but i know that UF may have ppl from all over the world and the capital may attract a lot of people from many other states.
In a way, I tend to agree with a good chunk of what you are saying with yoru words and with your visual aid. However.....(you knew there was going to be a "however") I do have commments.
1. I disagree that the Northeastern Coast has a sliver of non-Southerness. IMO, the entire Jax area is culturally southern and that extends all the way down to Daytona.
2. The South Central part of Florida is mostly swamp. Almost nobody lives there. How can it be culturally "anything"? If the red dots assume Southern culture, then most of the Southern peninsula should remain uncolored. I would, however, sprinkle a few red dots in the upper Keys and a few in the Homestead/Florida City area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:34 PM

4 posts, read 10,653 times
MD, VA, GA, LA, AL, MS, TX, KY, FL, SC, NC, WV, TN, AR, OK, DE, and MO are southern states because all of them are below the mason dixon line!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:10 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,400,829 times
DE isn't below the Mason Dixon... not that the imaginary line would matter.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,384,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
DE isn't below the Mason Dixon... not that the imaginary line would matter.
Have you ever been to Delaware(South of Wilmington)??????

Old 12-26-2010, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,658 times
Default The South Begins in Birdseye, IN

On a recent trip to Southern Indiana, I found a grimy little pile off the highway in a "holler" that should have been charming, except that the townsfolk were clearly inbred. Demographic:99% white mouth breathers.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:37 PM

35 posts, read 129,475 times
I think it starts somewhere in Brazil and ends somewhere around Antarctica..

the Real deep south! Dirty south!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 PM

591 posts, read 863,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I hope so. The quicker that this country can diminish or even eliminate the southern states from any influence, the better this country will be. We've been anchored down by this region for too long.

Then you and your ancestors should have let the South cecede, we'd all have been happier.

But some fools *ahem* want their cake and eat it too.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,515,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
Then you and your ancestors should have let the South cecede, we'd all have been happier.

But some fools *ahem* want their cake and eat it too.
LOL Good post.

Thing is, those like A_Lexus who constantly ridicule and bash the South, and express nothing but disdain and contempt for "red-necks" would starve to death and/or be helpless as a newborn baby...if not for those "good ol' boys" in the South (and other "red states" in the Midwest and West) who farm the land and drive the trucks and herd the cattle and grow the cotton and fix the cars and etc, etc, etc.

If there were ever any true national catastrophe to the magnitude (and it is not out of the question at all) all the things the Fifth Avenue and West coast upper-class liberal crowd take for granted were suddenly cut off, and they had to depend upon themselves to provide it, they would be begging for help from the same people they now have the luxury of looking down their snooty nose on. How pathetic...

Old 07-20-2011, 06:01 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Good post.

Thing is, those like A_Lexus who constantly ridicule and bash the South, and express nothing but disdain and contempt for "red-necks" would starve to death and/or be helpless as a newborn baby...if not for those "good ol' boys" in the South (and other "red states" in the Midwest and West) who farm the land and drive the trucks and herd the cattle and grow the cotton and fix the cars and etc, etc, etc.

If there were ever any true national catastrophe to the magnitude (and it is not out of the question at all) all the things the Fifth Avenue and West coast upper-class liberal crowd take for granted were suddenly cut off, and they had to depend upon themselves to provide it, they would be begging for help from the same people they now have the luxury of looking down their snooty nose on. How pathetic...
I don't think many in this country would be particularly prepared if the real s#%$ hit the fan. Farm families are rarer and rarer in large swaths of former agricultural strength. Big chunks of the South and Midwest and West and every other part of this country have major chunks of their population to lazy and uninformed to grow anything except for a waistline. Most of the farms where I live grow feed corn and soybeans, and most of the produce I see in stores and stands alike is trucked in from all over the place.

Even in the South, even in the West, we are barely a country that makes anything anymore.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:47 AM

62 posts, read 158,439 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.