U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2009, 12:09 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,320,926 times
Reputation: 2698

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Honestly I believe that NOVA should separate from V.A. because it's totally different than the rest of VA, being connected to VA messes it reputation up!!!
Makes no sense. States represent a variety of settings: urban, rural, liberal, conservative, etc. You can find areas in several states that aren't a whole lot like the rest of the state, so that's not a valid reason for secession. Now when it comes to the interests of urban areas within a state being neglected due to the dominance of rural issues (e.g., Atlanta and the state of Georgia), then I can understand, but I don't think that's an issue for NoVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,320,926 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I hope NC and VA become more blue as time goes on. That may give me hope of a place to move in the future. I feel out of place in the socially conservative environment I find myself in! That and I cannot take a sip of sweet tea without feeling sick!
Why don't you just move up North? Or to Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Augusta GA
880 posts, read 2,529,128 times
Reputation: 357
Can't afford to live up north, and I lived in metro Atlanta for several years and outside of the city limits it was one of the most conservative places I have been!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 12:23 AM
 
3,284 posts, read 5,429,649 times
Reputation: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Makes no sense. States represent a variety of settings: urban, rural, liberal, conservative, etc. You can find areas in several states that aren't a whole lot like the rest of the state, so that's not a valid reason for secession. Now when it comes to the interests of urban areas within a state being neglected due to the dominance of rural issues (e.g., Atlanta and the state of Georgia), then I can understand, but I don't think that's an issue for NoVA.
It's a issue for NOVA because they are closely associated with D.C. which actually made them the way they are so they most likely want to separate so that they can be more like D.C. Additionally to that why would they won't to be a part of VA when VA never want's to fund them s**t!!! Have you heard that they are having to put tolls on HOV lanes called HOT lanes so that they can pay for there highway's!!! That's pathetic ...I believe that if they would separate from them that D.C. would give them money, like they are doing with Arlington already (under the table basically, because of the pentagon)!!! I read a article somewhere that they have to pay for like over +50% for everything in the state and in return they have to pay even more!!! Then they have two of the nations busiest airport's, why wouldn't you want to separate? Or they could join Maryland (THAT WOULD **** VA BADLY)!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 12:28 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,320,926 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
It's a issue for NOVA because they are closely associated with D.C. which actually made them the way they are so they most likely want to separate so that they can be more like D.C. Additionally to that why would they won't to be a part of VA when VA never want's to fund them s**t!!! Have you heard that they are having to put tolls on HOV lanes called HOT lanes so that they can pay for there highway's!!! That's pathetic ...I believe that if they would separate from them that D.C. would give them money, like they are doing with Arlington already (under the table basically, because of the pentagon)!!! I read a article somewhere that they have to pay for like over +50% for everything in the state and in return they have to pay even more!!! Then they have two of the nations busiest airport's, why wouldn't you want to separate? Or they could join Maryland (THAT WOULD **** VA BADLY)!!!
I could see the part of the NoVA that was originally part of DC joining back up with the District (even though it won't happen for political reasons). Other than that, if NoVA isn't getting a proper return on its investment in terms of state funding, that's too bad, but joining up with DC wouldn't even be an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Richmond
1,191 posts, read 3,234,933 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
It's a issue for NOVA because they are closely associated with D.C. which actually made them the way they are so they most likely want to separate so that they can be more like D.C. Additionally to that why would they won't to be a part of VA when VA never want's to fund them s**t!!! Have you heard that they are having to put tolls on HOV lanes called HOT lanes so that they can pay for there highway's!!! That's pathetic ...I believe that if they would separate from them that D.C. would give them money, like they are doing with Arlington already (under the table basically, because of the pentagon)!!! I read a article somewhere that they have to pay for like over +50% for everything in the state and in return they have to pay even more!!! Then they have two of the nations busiest airport's, why wouldn't you want to separate? Or they could join Maryland (THAT WOULD **** VA BADLY)!!!

In the past 20 years DC has swallowed up at least 1/3 of Virginia. However, try rural Western Loudoun County or Fauquier county and its a much different way of life!

Anyways, I dont really care about NOVA anymore. We lost her years ago. I'm over it. Done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 07:03 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 10,044,591 times
Reputation: 2334
Some of the comments on this forum are just ridiculous. People can vote however they want, regardless of where they live. I know Republicans in Massachusetts. Does that mean they're not Northerners? The North has a mix of liberal and conservative areas. What's so bad about the South being the same way? And there are so many other factors besides politics in a region. Just because you're liberal doesn't mean you would be happy in the North. Same goes with conservatives and the South.

Geographically and climatically, North Carolina will always be Southern. Places change as time goes on so North Carolina could be completely different from the way it was in 1860 and still be Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Can't afford to live up north, and I lived in metro Atlanta for several years and outside of the city limits it was one of the most conservative places I have been!
In Atlanta you can choose to live in a more conservative area, or you can choose to live in a more liberal area....and there is definitely more liberal than conservative...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
657 posts, read 1,310,967 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I do agree about travel.

Look you can drive from Richmond to NYC and it takes 7.5 hours, but by plane its like an hour and a half. And Virginia and NC are now at New York's doorstep.

Even the Deep South is just not as "Deep"
How slowly do you drive?

It takes me four hours to drive from Arlington to New York.

It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to drive from Arlington to Richmond.

That's 5 1 /2 hours from Richmond to New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
657 posts, read 1,310,967 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
In the past 20 years DC has swallowed up at least 1/3 of Virginia. However, try rural Western Loudoun County or Fauquier county and its a much different way of life!

Anyways, I dont really care about NOVA anymore. We lost her years ago. I'm over it. Done with it.
Lost her? Actually I'm rather lost? Who's claiming whom? I'm really confused by your posts.

If you really want to live in the South move to Atlanta. But face reality -- Richmond looks like Hartford in many, many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top