U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 09:11 AM

10,166 posts, read 6,500,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post

I think it might have to do with the attitude shown in a post like this. Southerners who are stuck in the past, arrogant, and lump all Northerners together (the Midwest is very different from the NE), and how much pride some Southerners take in a war they lost while completely ignoring the cause of the war, are reasons we sometimes make fun of the South.

So many Southerners take being Southern way too seriously. Just look at how contorted and irritated people get on C-D when one person tells someone their city is not as Southern as some other city. Then a ten page argument ensues where the respective Southerners try and out Southern each other by bragging about how many Confederate monuments they have. Its so stupid its entertaining.

And you wonder why people make fun of some Southerners

It is so frustrating trying to explain the way things are to ignorant or stupid people. Southerners are no more stuck in the past than the ignorant Northerners that like to bash The South when they have no idea what they are talking about. We may have ignorant people in the South but the North is loaded with then too. Red necks are not confined to the South. The North has more than their share.

What is wrong with Southerners having pride in their region? Do you not have pride in the area where you come from? I am sorry but I am proud to be a Southerner. I think we have a better way of life than they do in the North. That of course is my opinion.

Everyone keeps talking about the Civil War. That is history. It is over forget it. It happened and it is a part of our history whether we like it or not. I could care less about the war. I am living in modern times myself.
I live in a beautiful City that has everything I want and need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 09:21 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,127,079 times
Quote:

I think it might have to do with the attitude shown in a post like this. Southerners who are stuck in the past, arrogant, and lump all Northerners together (the Midwest is very different from the NE), and how much pride some Southerners take in a war they lost while completely ignoring the cause of the war, are reasons we sometimes make fun of the South.

So many Southerners take being Southern way too seriously. Just look at how contorted and irritated people get on C-D when one person tells someone their city is not as Southern as some other city. Then a ten page argument ensues where the respective Southerners try and out Southern each other by bragging about how many Confederate monuments they have. Its so stupid its entertaining.

And you wonder why people make fun of some Southerners
Good Lord (yeah, I said it...being from the Bible Belt and all! ), in reading this post is it any wonder why many of us Southerners adopt the attitudes you accuse us of?

I can honestly say that, in my years on C-D forum, and seeing "regional-war" type threads get started, it is overwhelmingly northerners who initiate them. And then they accuse Southerners of "still fighting the War." This borders on the ludicrous, anyway. (see, two for good measure! ).

C'mon, Cincy...in discussing/debating with you on another thread, I would expect better out of you at least. Although, granted, you make very little secret of your basic disdain and contempt for the South. Which leads into my main point....

It is a continual source of wonder to me why many northerners who, whether posting on this forum, or moving to the South, indeed do make no secret about their essential hostility to the South and Southerners, and then step back and wax indignant over what they percieve as a "defensive" mentality. It is almost like that -- among a certain definite "sect" of yankees -- we Southerners are just supposed to roll over and play dead and apologize and pi$$ and moan and wallow in the hog-trough of guilt, over our Southern history and heritage. And, further, some northerners going so far as to believe they have an obligation to come down and "reform" us. This type arrogance and "savior-complex" mentality is astounding...but it is there and I have seen it.

Well, screw that! (sorry, ladies, for the vulgarity) I'm a proud Texan and un-reconstructed Southerner (meaning proud and patriotic American as well...yet I don't accept the Northern version of the WBTS) and make no bones about it. Its akin to that old sign that used to warn people visiting zoos of certain type critters. That is: WARNING. When Attacked, This Animal Will Defend Itself.

I am stopping short of putting you personally into the South-bashing bunch...but obviously there are plenty out there who slam the South and expect we should just humbly sit there and take it, perhaps because of some ill-considered and false notion that the South is some horried backwoods netherworld and the Northeast (and certain parts of the upper Midwest, and the West Coast) are some "Shangra-La" of enlightment and tolerance (even though the worse race-riots in modern history took place there).

As it is (and by the way, my own kids are "half-yankee"), I really don't give a fiddlers damn if certain northerners "make fun" of the South or not. Just don't expect me (and other Southerners like me) to go along with it out of a sense of historical guilt or inferiority that is inapplicable do begin with. The only thing I would like/wish is that they keep their attitudes and persons out of the South.

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-21-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 AM

10,166 posts, read 6,500,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Good Lord (yeah, I said it...being from the Bible Belt and all! ), in reading this post is it any wonder why many of us Southerners adopt the attitudes you accuse us of?

I can honestly say that, in my years on C-D forum, and seeing "regional-war" type threads get started, it is overwhelmingly northerners who initiate them. And then they accuse Southerners of "still fighting the War." This borders on the ludicrous, anyway. (see, two for good measure! ).

C'mon, Cincy...in discussing/debating with you on another thread, I would expect better out of you at least. Although, granted, you make very little secret of your basic disdain and contempt for the South. Which leads into my main point....

It is a continual source of wonder to me why many northerners who, whether posting on this forum, or moving to the South, indeed do make no secret about their essential hostility to the South and Southerners, and then step back and wax indignant over what they percieve as a "defensive" mentality. It is almost like that -- among a certain definite "sect" of yankees -- we Southerners are just supposed to roll over and play dead and apologize and pi$$ and moan and wallow in the hog-trough of guilt, over our Southern history and heritage. And, further, some northerners going so far as to believe they have an obligation to come down and "reform" us. This type arrogance and "savior-complex" mentality is astounding...but it is there and I have seen it.

Well, screw that! (sorry, ladies, for the vulgarity) I'm a proud Texan and un-reconstructed Southerner (meaning proud and patriotic American...yet I don't accept the Northern version of the WBTS) and make no bones about it. Its akin to that old sign that used to warn people visiting zoos of certain type critters. That is: WARNING. When Attacked, This Animal Will Defend Itself.

I am stopping short of putting you personally into the South-bashing bunch...but obviously there are plenty out there who slam the South and expect we should just humbly sit there and take it, perhaps because of some ill-considered and false notion that the South is some horried backwoods netherworld and the Northeast (and certain parts of the upper Midwest, and the West Coast) are some "Shangra-La" of enlightment and tolerance (even though the worse race-riots in modern history took place there).

As it is (and by the way, my own kids are "half-yankee"), I really don't give a fiddlers damn if certain northerners "make fun" of the South or not. Just don't expect me (and other Southerners like me) to go along with it out of a sense of historical guilt or inferiority that is inapplicable do begin with. The only thing I would like/wish is that they keep their attitudes and persons out of the South.

I certainly agree Texasreb. Great post.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:03 PM

20,856 posts, read 35,987,118 times
Quote:
I've lived in the area my entire life. Midwest + Appalachian Yes. Southern only in the minds of New Englanders and deluded rednecks.

There's a big difference between the northern half of Kentucky and the true South. By that extension Indiana is not Southern, but has a lot of similarities.

If I could redefine regions there would be a lower Midwest, upper Midwest, and Appalachia (KY, WV, and parts of VA).
Southern Indiana, however, is definitely culturally more southern as the vast majority of the people living here have roots in Kentucky. The foods and accents lean much more heavily southern than midwestern as well. I am pretty close to Louisville, KY so the area of southern Indiana I live in has more of a southern flavor. However, I have mentioned on other threads that the economy and built environment of nearly all of Indiana is very much alligned with the Midwest. One can still find evidence of the Great Migration in the cities of Indiana as it attracted many poorer people from Appalachia as well as African Americans from the Deep South.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:07 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It is so frustrating trying to explain the way things are to ignorant or stupid people. Southerners are no more stuck in the past than the ignorant Northerners that like to bash The South when they have no idea what they are talking about. We may have ignorant people in the South but the North is loaded with then too. Red necks are not confined to the South. The North has more than their share.

What is wrong with Southerners having pride in their region? Do you not have pride in the area where you come from? I am sorry but I am proud to be a Southerner. I think we have a better way of life than they do in the North. That of course is my opinion.

Everyone keeps talking about the Civil War. That is history. It is over forget it. It happened and it is a part of our history whether we like it or not. I could care less about the war. I am living in modern times myself.
I live in a beautiful City that has everything I want and need.
>>>>>
It is so frustrating trying to explain the way things are to ignorant or stupid people. Southerners are no more stuck in the past than the ignorant Northerners that like to bash The South when they have no idea what they are talking about.
<<<<<

Truth spoken here.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:09 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Well, screw that! (sorry, ladies, for the vulgarity) I'm a proud Texan and un-reconstructed Southerner (meaning proud and patriotic American as well...yet I don't accept the Northern version of the WBTS) and make no bones about it. Its akin to that old sign that used to warn people visiting zoos of certain type critters. That is: WARNING. When Attacked, This Animal Will Defend Itself.

You tell 'em, Friend!

LOL, at Yankees trying to reform us.....especially you and I!

Old 08-21-2011, 03:42 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,158,630 times
Honestly, northern seem to be stuck in the past moreso than the south. Anything new and modern (architecture, housing, strip malls) are seen as "lacking character", "boring".

Old 08-21-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Honestly, northern seem to be stuck in the past moreso than the south. Anything new and modern (architecture, housing, strip malls) are seen as "lacking character", "boring".
Because almost any new housing, regardless of region, does lack quality and character for the most part. Exhibit A: The housing bubble era between 2003-2008.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:29 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,785,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Because almost any new housing, regardless of region, does lack quality and character for the most part. Exhibit A: The housing bubble era between 2003-2008.
Because homes don't need to last as long as they used to. And you have people accepting low quality homes more.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Because homes don't need to last as long as they used to. And you have people accepting low quality homes more.
That is why I don't accept the wasteful keeping up with the Jones' lifestyle that is common to many suburbia areas. I appreciate the quality construction that comes with older housing stock in established parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.