Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 12:01 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,911,839 times

Advertisements

I think the people that bash the South are insecure individuals who do not feel good about themselves so they have to bash others to make themselves feel better about who they really are. You really should have pity on them though because they are hurting inside. I think they secretly want to be Southerners and are jealous of our way of life. I personally do not know a soul who wants to be a Northerner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 01:50 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,511,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I think the people that bash the South are insecure individuals who do not feel good about themselves so they have to bash others to make themselves feel better about who they really are. You really should have pity on them though because they are hurting inside. I think they secretly want to be Southerners and are jealous of our way of life. I personally do not know a soul who wants to be a Northerner.
I'm a born and bred Southerner and I think these comments are way off the mark on the whole, although it may apply to only a select few non-Southerners. There are plenty of Southerners who wouldn't mind moving to the North, even if just for a short time and there are several who are originally from the North.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:18 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,987,687 times
Default " It Be Ah Good Feelin Ta Be A Good Ole Southern Boy" EHHHHHHHH ... HAAAAAA !!! OTAY !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
The southern "thang" is getting old. The north is just the north, The history is history, and the present is now. The north still has its roots but it keeps up with the timing at the same time.

That's what the south is still struggling with. It holds on to it's history like it's the present and it makes it seem like they're back in time and not up to date with everything. We need this country to be up to date; especially now.
Newarkbomb !!! ... Interesting stuff !

Thank you very kindly sir ! It appears that your are most accurate in your statement regarding how these good folks "are somehow back in time" !

Indeed ... what a proud and marvelous history the Ole South has in the books y'all ! That Southern "Thang" ain't gettin as old as you might believe thar Newarkbomb ! There be a whole heap ah Southern folks that will make shure the "Yankee's" of today are forever reminded of our magnificent past !

The State of Virginia ... The Shenandoah Valley.... & Richmond Y'all. Take a nice little tour of these areas when you have the time and you will become most aware of the "South" at it's source ! It will be a great "Actual History " lesson for you some of you blighters !

In the mean time ... Keep them beautiful "Confederate Flags flying right beside the great U.S. Flags ! Such a grand sight to see all through VA. !

You can bet your sweet azzzzzzzzzzes that Southern '"Pride" and "Heritage" ain't going away anytime soon y'all !

"Away Down "South" in Dixie !!!!!!! Long live the Old South !

Thanks A Bunch Y'all !!! ... Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 08-20-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm a born and bred Southerner and I think these comments are way off the mark on the whole, although it may apply to only a select few non-Southerners. There are plenty of Southerners who wouldn't mind moving to the North, even if just for a short time and there are several who are originally from the North.
OK if you say so. Southerners who are directly from the North huh? That's a new one on me.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
OK if you say so. Southerners who are directly from the North huh? That's a new one on me.
You must be living under a rock if you're unaware of the fact that Northerners have been moving to the South in droves for the past few decades.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:38 PM

There are plenty of Southerners who wouldn't mind moving to the North, even if just for a short time and there are several who are originally from the North.

Am I reading this wrong or what?? Frankly I think oh never mind.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:13 PM

800 posts, read 776,950 times
Quote:

I think it might have to do with the attitude shown in a post like this. Southerners who are stuck in the past, arrogant, and lump all Northerners together (the Midwest is very different from the NE), and how much pride some Southerners take in a war they lost while completely ignoring the cause of the war, are reasons we sometimes make fun of the South.

So many Southerners take being Southern way too seriously. Just look at how contorted and irritated people get on C-D when one person tells someone their city is not as Southern as some other city. Then a ten page argument ensues where the respective Southerners try and out Southern each other by bragging about how many Confederate monuments they have. Its so stupid its entertaining.

And you wonder why people make fun of some Southerners

Last edited by CincyIU29; 08-20-2011 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-20-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of Southerners who wouldn't mind moving to the North, even if just for a short time and there are several who are originally from the North.

Am I reading this wrong or what?? Frankly I think oh never mind.
What is there to misunderstand????

Old 08-20-2011, 10:54 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,232,890 times
The South begins close to where southern Indiana is. The Ohio Valley is the convergence of the Midwest, South, and Appalachia all mixed together which gives the region a very odd feel.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:26 AM

800 posts, read 776,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The South begins close to where southern Indiana is. The Ohio Valley is the convergence of the Midwest, South, and Appalachia all mixed together which gives the region a very odd feel.
I've lived in the area my entire life. Midwest + Appalachian Yes. Southern only in the minds of New Englanders and deluded rednecks.

There's a big difference between the northern half of Kentucky and the true South. By that extension Indiana is not Southern, but has a lot of similarities.

If I could redefine regions there would be a lower Midwest, upper Midwest, and Appalachia (KY, WV, and parts of VA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.