Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times

Advertisements

lets see them go, south would be beautiful without the bible belt, poverty, racism and ignorance that is still widespread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:42 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Richmond and Norfolk are practically the same size. The Hampton Roads metro is a little larger than the Richmond metro, but they're still in the same league. I'm sure Richmonders venture over to Norfolk for various reasons, but for the most part, what you can find in one (in terms of shopping, sports, etc.), you can find in the other. The obvious exception would be the beach.

Yes, but that's not what you generally think of when you think of "influence"--which is what we were discussing.
Norfolk is actually bigger than Richmond. But still, I would venture to guess that Richmonders can go any place in the country. We dont need DC for anything.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:45 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Read some of those sites I linked earlier...they might give you a different perspective. Which noteable buildings do you know of that were lost to urban renewal? Most of those projects took out neighborhoods like large parts of Pittsburgh, Summerhill, and Mechanicsville - demolished due to I-85, I-75, and I-20 and stadium construction...but these neighborhoods were already largely slums.

MARTA construction caused some demolition of buildings - most noteably the Eisman Building, the facade of which was reconstructed inside Five Points Station. MARTA also required that Union Station be demolished.

Construction of Centennial Olympic Park replaced several blocks of warehouse/commercial buildings that were deemed unworthy of preservation. Woodruff Park construction caused the 1972 demolition of a row of nondescript commercial/retail buildings on Peachtree Street.

Many historic buildings burned down...this was during the era prior to sprinkler system requirements and when fire fighting was less efficient, so it wasn't uncommon for buildings to burn. The Aragon Hotel, the Grand Opera House, the Loew's Grand, Paramount, and Forsyth Theaters, the Terminal Hotel, Hotel Ansley - all burned. I'm sure there are others...

So...that leaves:
1. Terminal Station - demolished for the MLK Jr. Federal Building
2. Kimball House - replaced by a parking deck in 1959
3. Piedmont Hotel - demolished for the 1971 Equitable Building
4. Henry Grady Hotel - demolished for the cylindrical Westin Peachtree...ironically, the Grady Hotel replaced the former Governor's Mansion in 1924
5. the original Equitable Building - demolished for a Trust Company Bank tower
6. Carnegie Library - replaced by the brutalist Breuer-designed Main Library
7. Downtown YMCA - demolished in the 90s after it was determined that the building was damaged beyond reasonable repair
8. original Atlanta City Hall - demolished in 1885 for the Georgia State Capitol
9. the Customs House - replaced by the Fulton National Bank Building

Those are most of the buildings, to my knowledge, that have been demolished. Honestly, many Atlanta residents don't even know about the large number of historic buildings sitting in Downtown and Midtown. I wasn't aware of it until I got interested in history and preservation a few years ago, and now I guess I would consider myself fairly knowledgeable on that subject.
I wonder if there is a website, database, or catalogue that lists the historic buildings that have been demolished in Atlanta over the decades. I know Charlotte has one through the local preservation group.

I know there are probably a lot of smaller structures that probably weren't deemed "worthy" of preservation due to their size that had gotten demolished also; just regular, plain storefronts and such. Those are a bit harder to catalogue.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Norfolk is actually bigger than Richmond.
Not substantially so. You make it sound like Norfolk is 3, 4, 5 times bigger than Richmond when it's not. Again, both cities are pretty much in the same league in terms of size.

Quote:
But still, I would venture to guess that Richmonders can go any place in the country. We dont need DC for anything.
Of course, but why would Richmonders travel to Atlanta or Philadelphia to attend an NBA/NFL/MLB game, or shop at Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, etc. when they can just take the short ride up to DC? That doesn't make much sense at all, does it? I'm not talking about special events here, just typical, regular, everyday big city amenities. Richmonders will naturally travel to DC for that. Not sure why you find this hard to admit.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Not substantially so. You make it sound like Norfolk is 3, 4, 5 times bigger than Richmond when it's not. Again, both cities are pretty much in the same league in terms of size.

Of course, but why would Richmonders travel to Atlanta or Philadelphia to attend an NBA/NFL/MLB game, or shop at Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, etc. when they can just take the short ride up to DC? That doesn't make much sense at all, does it? I'm not talking about special events here, just typical, regular, everyday big city amenities. Richmonders will naturally travel to DC for that. Not sure why you find this hard to admit.
All the Richmonders I know speak very little about DC. Its in another state, and we dont really care.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
All the Richmonders I know speak very little about DC. Its in another state, and we dont really care.
Your circle of Richmonders must be extremely insular then, which wouldn't surprise me in the least. And I see lots of references to DC in the local Richmond forum here. It only makes sense--unless one is averse to traveling or is intentionally avoiding DC for some reason or another.

And DC isn't in another state; it's a federal district.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Your circle of Richmonders must be extremely insular then, which wouldn't surprise me in the least. And I see lots of references to DC in the local Richmond forum here. It only makes sense--unless one is averse to traveling or is intentionally avoiding DC for some reason or another.

And DC isn't in another state; it's a federal district.
Ironically, more people at my church have talked about going to Charlotte and Raleigh, than to DC. Granted Charlotte is a good 3.5 hr drive. But they have more shopping there that appeals to them

Only place close to DC I have heard people go for is Potomac Mills.

Do you think Richmond is that boring a city that people have to drive to DC or Norfolk to find something to do? I dont think so.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:37 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,741,870 times
Quote:
Ironically, more people at my church have talked about going to Charlotte and Raleigh, than to DC. Granted Charlotte is a good 3.5 hr drive.
From Richmond?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
From Richmond?
Well Asheville is about 4 hours when I drove back from there. I guess maybe 4 hours to Charlotte.

Charlotte is a lot further west than it is South of Richmond.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:56 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,741,870 times
Quote:
We are closely linked culturally with Eastern NC. Dosent matter if theres not a major city in Eastern NC. Richmond and its residents have been from NC for many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo
Doubt it. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27
You must read about the history of Richmond and its cultural ties to Eastern NC then.
Found out that some Virginians were migrating into Eastern NC in the early 1700's. See figure 3 in the link: North Carolina History So maybe that's the cultural link you're talking about? Idk.

Anyways, not all of Richmond's residents are from NC, as that's a pretty generic statement to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.