U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Richmond
1,191 posts, read 3,237,245 times
Reputation: 402

Advertisements

They both went for Obama last election. NC and VA (especially NOVA) have a heavy amount of transplants- probably more than any other Southern states. They are fast becoming "Mid-Atlantic"

50 years ago Northern Virginia was a pretty Southern area. Now it is Mid-Atlantic bordering on Yankee.

Richmond is still holding on to its Southern fort, but now its only mildly Southern. Years ago it was like Savannah!



NC which was Southern too, is now more "Southern-Lite".

Chapel Hill , Raleigh, and "The Triangle" has all gotton very very liberalized. You are more likely to find places that sell tree hugging kits than sweet tea.

Asheville is very Yuppy, and not in the Southern way.


What do Y'all think? I hate to see them go. They are in danger of loseing their membership in the Southern Club.

Last edited by Bo; 02-25-2009 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Merged 4 similarly-themed threads and updated the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:01 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,330 posts, read 19,549,496 times
Reputation: 18436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
They both went for Obama last election. NC and VA (especially NOVA) have a heavy amount of transplants- probably more than any other Southern states. They are fast becoming "Mid-Atlantic"

50 years ago Northern Virginia was a pretty Southern area. Now it is Mid-Atlantic bordering on Yankee.

Richmond is still holding on to its Southern fort, but now its only mildly Southern. Years ago it was like Savannah!



NC which was Southern too, is now more "Southern-Lite".

Chapel Hill , Raleigh, and "The Triangle" has all gotton very very liberalized. You are more likely to find places that sell tree hugging kits than sweet tea.

Asheville is very Yuppy, and not in the Southern way.


What do Y'all think? I hate to see them go. They are in danger of loseing their membership in the Southern Club.
I hope so. The quicker that this country can diminish or even eliminate the southern states from any influence, the better this country will be. We've been anchored down by this region for too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:03 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,276,935 times
Reputation: 2784
It's not about number of transplants and it's not about certain areas becoming "less southern". Ideas, attitudes, architecture, way of life, culture, etc. - it all changes with time and generations. The characteristics of what is considered southern have changed because of technology, travel, urban development, immigration, and enlightenment. NC and VA are still going to be southern, but they are changing just like every southern state is changing...and every state in every region for that matter. NC/VA don't have any more transplants than North Georgia or other larger cities in the South, so it's happening everywhere - and it's a good thing.

Time marches on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
626 posts, read 1,026,288 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I hope so. The quicker that this country can diminish or even eliminate the southern states from any influence, the better this country will be. We've been anchored down by this region for too long.
So because NC voted blue this past election, that makes it not southern? I find this comment ridiculous. I was born and raised in NC and I voted for Obama, along with a majority of my friends. I am southern, I live in a southern state, the way I vote or my state votes doesn't change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Richmond
1,191 posts, read 3,237,245 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's not about number transplants and it's not any area becoming less southern. Ideas, attitudes, architecture, way of life, culture, etc. - it all changes with time and generations. The characteristics of what is considered southern have changed because of technology, travel, urban development, immigration, and enlightenment. NC and VA are still going to be southern, but they are changing just like every southern state is changing...and every state in every region for that matter. Time marches on...
I do agree about travel.

Look you can drive from Richmond to NYC and it takes 7.5 hours, but by plane its like an hour and a half. And Virginia and NC are now at New York's doorstep.

Even the Deep South is just not as "Deep"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
626 posts, read 1,026,288 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's not about number of transplants and it's not about certain areas becoming "less southern". Ideas, attitudes, architecture, way of life, culture, etc. - it all changes with time and generations. The characteristics of what is considered southern have changed because of technology, travel, urban development, immigration, and enlightenment. NC and VA are still going to be southern, but they are changing just like every southern state is changing...and every state in every region for that matter. NC/VA don't have any more transplants than North Georgia or other larger cities in the South, so it's happening everywhere - and it's a good thing.

Time marches on...
very very well said my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Richmond
1,191 posts, read 3,237,245 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
So because NC voted blue this past election, that makes it not southern? I find this comment ridiculous. I was born and raised in NC and I voted for Obama, along with a majority of my friends. I am southern, I live in a southern state, the way I vote or my state votes doesn't change that.
Im afraid it does. Obama represents everything that concurs with NE Liberals. Socialism, National Health Care, Elitism, Arrogance...

The South usually votes Conservative/Republican (Sometimes "Southern Democrats_ but those are few and far between today). And the South in general has different issues that matter to them. More about Religion, and Freedom of Religion, small government, etc.

But I dont want to get off subject, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,223 posts, read 67,365,623 times
Reputation: 15865
TALK TO THE HAND!

Signed,

A Yankee liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times
Reputation: 6424
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's not about number transplants and it's not any area becoming less southern. Ideas, attitudes, architecture, way of life, culture, etc. - it all changes with time and generations. The characteristics of what is considered southern have changed because of technology, travel, urban development, immigration, and enlightenment. NC and VA are still going to be southern, but they are changing just like every southern state is changing...and every state in every region for that matter. Time marches on...
Exactly! Same for the north and west.

Take for instance New England. The majority of the earliest settlers were Puritians. They were not only anti-Catholic but also against most other Protestants. Today New England has a large Catholic population - but New England is still New England!

I love history myself but we cannot live in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
626 posts, read 1,026,288 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Im afraid it does. Obama represents everything that concurs with NE Liberals. Socialism, National Health Care, Elitism, Arrogance...

The South usually votes Conservative/Republican (Sometimes "Southern Democrats_ but those are few and far between today). And the South in general has different issues that matter to them. More about Religion, and Freedom of Religion, small government, etc.
Sorry but I 100% completley disagree with you. There's a whole new generation of voters, like Deacon said times change as well as attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top