U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:25 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,366,370 times

Advertisements

Hands-down, I'd pick Portland. I also think for you it would be the best choice. Lots of outdoor activities, not terribly far from the water, lots of parks and probably the most diverse of the cities listed (perhaps Greensboro beats it out though depending on how one measures diversity). Of course, there is that pesky rain to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 01:19 PM

22 posts, read 74,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBound View Post
Hey, I lived there.
There's a lot of open areas.
Don't worry, you won't run out of room.

What do you mean. I have 3 people from California and 2 more from Colorado sitting on my lap right now!

Old 03-27-2007, 01:31 PM

630 posts, read 2,219,090 times
Well, throw them off, tell them to get their own houses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPEN1USA View Post
What do you mean. I have 3 people from California and 2 more from Colorado sitting on my lap right now!

Old 03-27-2007, 01:48 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,306,202 times
I would AVOID portland....too many people there really hate people from california. I think it could be unfair and hard to make friends.

I would pick COLORADO SPRINGS!!

second...Boise (but they may also have it out for the californians!!) just be aware of the culture you are going to....and if there is already a culture of "we hate people from california"

it could really ruin what should be a great move for you.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM

44 posts, read 269,640 times
Colorado Springs; Specifically because I can't stand the Rain otherwise I'd probably choose Portland, OR.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:49 PM

653 posts, read 3,133,972 times
Would be a toss up between Colorado Springs and Boise. I've been to both. Traffic now an issue in CS.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:03 PM

3,116 posts, read 7,163,281 times
I'm not surprised that almost all of the advice points towards the western half of the country. What great choices you have, though--Colorado Springs, Boise, and Portland. I guess if money weren't a factor I'd have a hard time choosing between Portland and Colorado Springs. Boise doesn't seem nearly as sexy though perhaps it would make better sense for people looking for jobs in certain industries, assuming that it's economy is doing decently.

I suspect that Greensboro and Warwick pale in comparison. Would anyone care to comment on those two? I've probably passed through Greensboro before at some point, but I know absolutely nothing about Warwick other than that it's probably expensive, its being in New England.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:28 AM

16 posts, read 81,379 times
Yes, it is all definitely pointin toward the west. Everything else kinda pales in comparison. Myself I kinda like colorado spings just because of the extra sunshine but everyone raves about portland and the strongest job offer right now is portland sooo.... I will keep you updated. Thanks for all the advise; makes things so much more bearable to get a REAL opinion, not just a bunch of stats.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:57 AM

18 posts, read 40,338 times
We're from Houston, TX and wanted to move somewhere NW for the 4 seasons, close road trips, camping, rivers, mountains, etc. We have 2 younger kids as well so schools were important. After years of research and visiting every "major" area (Sacramento, Portland, Seattle, Boise, Reno, Las Vegas, Salt Lake, Spokane, Eugene, Vancouver WA, etc) we kept going back to Boise.

We finally decide to go ahead and move to Boise and then continue to visit areas and then move to where we for sure wanted. After more trips we have become even more convinced that Boise is for us; actually Meridian (suburb of Boise).

Reasons why we like the Boise area:

Weather - GREAT weather year round; SUN, SUN, SUN! Yes it does snow some but that's mostly in higher elevations and when it does snow here at the house it'll stay for a few hours and then melt. It snowed 5 inches on Christmas Eve, which stayed on the ground for about 3 days (woohoo). We loved it though since we had a white Christmas, and the kids love to play in it. It's not where you have to shovel snow through the winter. When you want snow you can drive 30 minutes to places like Bogus Basin and be in feet of snow! Low humidity and great breezes. There's a reason why most restaurants have patios! It does get hot in the summer, 100+, and the sun is REALLY intense. But the real hot weather only last for about 3 weeks and you can either take a 30 minute drive up in the Boise foothills for the day to cool off or what we love to do is hang out on one of the many rivers drinking a cool one!

4 Seasons - Spring is beautiful with first the huge tulips and flowering trees and then the gigantic rose blooms on the rose bushes everywhere, and the abundance of different shades of trees are beautiful. Fall is breathtaking with all the color changing trees.

Wheel Spoke - Boise is in the center of the wheel spoke to EVERYWHERE and from one extreme to another in just an hour time. Head south to Snake River, Elko, Nevada, etc and see desert beauty. Veer a little and your driving past Shoshone/Idaho Falls then Salt Lake. Head north to Cascade, McCall, Coeur d'Alene, Spokane, British Columbia, and wind around along the rivers through the mountains. East and NW is Sun Valley, Stanley, Yellowstone, Montana/Wyoming. West and NW, Portland, Seattle, the coast, Oregon/Washington. And all of these directions are unique to the other.

People are laid back and friendly here, slower paced, practically no crime - no major crime, great schools, parks, college, clean downtown with no bums, great capital, zoo, etc, etc.

You may of already moved to Portland but wanted to put in my 2 cents for anyone else who may be looking. We visited Portland and Seattle many times and yes Portland is beautiful but we feel more comfortable in Boise (Meridian) especially with our kids (10 and 13) and our love for rivers, camping, fishing, swimming, etc. And we can always visit Portland for the weekend.

Here's a few pics of the Boise area, most within an hour drive:
www.fariesonline.com/boise/

Last edited by hominid4; 05-01-2007 at 01:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or