Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 04:24 AM

3 posts, read 7,876 times

Advertisements

We are both 60. We just sold our house and would like to take the equity of $300,000 to buy another house (total costs so no mortgage) as we enter early retirement. Our family is scattered across the country so we're not tied to any particular area. We've read that the BEST HOUSING DEALS are in Florida, Arizona, Nevada right now. Basically we want a 3000 sq foot house on a large lot or small amount of acreage in a town or small city that boasts a good public library system, a college would be nice and at least an average growing season.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 05:07 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Default check out St. George, Utah

We are going to St. George, Utah about 40 mnutes from Mesquite, Nevada , about 2 hours from Las Vegas and close to AZ border also. Mild winters, hot in the summer but dry heat and no humidity. Beautiful place, lots to do, Biking/hiking trails, Zions Nathional Park close by, very inexpensive housing now....didn't used to be. If you like the red rock scenery and that desert terraine. Check it out.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerJohn View Post
We are both 60. We just sold our house and would like to take the equity of $300,000 to buy another house (total costs so no mortgage) as we enter early retirement. Our family is scattered across the country so we're not tied to any particular area. We've read that the BEST HOUSING DEALS are in Florida, Arizona, Nevada right now. Basically we want a 3000 sq foot house on a large lot or small amount of acreage in a town or small city that boasts a good public library system, a college would be nice and at least an average growing season.

Any suggestions?
well, you won't get that in Florida even with the depressed market or I doubt you will, it will depend on what part of Florida you are thinking about. NV, maybe, again, depending, but so little of NV is developed, Reno is a bit pricey and Vegas certainly won't give you what you are looking for I don't think.. Phoenix is nice if you can take the heat.

Lots of areas in NM might work, we moved from Valencia County to NWA last year. There are lots of possitives about NM but lots of negatives as well. Of course this can be anywhere. Where do you live now?

Nita

Old 02-21-2009, 07:19 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
Georgetown or Kerrville

Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Why spend it,why not save some,it is tax free if you have lived in home for 2 out five years.I sold recently and put $145,000 in 3 percent 6 month CD.Bigger not necessarily better!

Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Why spend it,why not save some,it is tax free if you have lived in home for 2 out five years.I sold recently and put $145,000 in 3 percent 6 month CD.Bigger not necessarily better!
I was thinking the same thing DanBev. I'd sock the rest of it away. I'd also start thinking about self-sufficiency in case the SHTF if you know what I mean. Keeping a 3000 square foot house clean would be a major pain in the arse! It would take two hours just to vacuum! I would think there is a better way to spend that time! LOL

Think small, efficient, sustainable, easily defended. You never know how bad things might get!

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-21-2009, 08:16 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Retirement is such a big deal -- and in my opinion should be a final move -- so to me the important thing is WHERE do you want to live, and why?

All those states are very different (in my opinion) and I guess I would start by deciding on which one I would want to live out the rest of my life.

For me it was a non-decision, as I already knew the one place I wanted to live. Maybe other people are different and the location doesn't matter so much.

Here in Santa Fe, prices have come down and you probably can find a $300,000 house that you like, but you might have to make some concessions - such as size. I'm not sure you can find a 3000 square foot house for that price that is in decent condition.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:29 AM

261 posts, read 936,301 times
AZ, FL, and NV clearly have the most distressed residential markets right now. Phoenix seems to have the most bargains, but the tradeoff for a dirt-cheap price on a brand new home is living in an oven several months of the year. New Mexico did not experience the hyperinflation of home prices to the same extent that those other markets did, nor did we see the degree of over-building that they did, so our prices are not as depressed as theirs are. Yet. For example, Farmington prices have not dropped more than 5% or so in the last couple of years, and are still relatively high for what you get. Can't speak for Albuquerque or Las Cruces, although LC seems to have a lot of $500k houses looking for new owners.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,192 times
Default My Advice Again

Rent or Rent to Own in the center of New Mexico and explore the whole State till you find the place you want. With Todays internet you dont really need Libraries unless you are doing some deep research. But libraries are everywhere. P.S. With 300 k you can buy a home with quite a few acres in New Mexico and still be close to Santa Fe and Albuquerque. el pintada kid

Old 02-21-2009, 08:44 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
I remember reading last year that Las Cruces was ranked as one of the good places to retire.

It has a college (NMSU), not sure about the library system, and I don't know about housing prices.

It is in the warm part of NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.