U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Considering moving from Florida and finding employment in Oil City, cost of living too high in South Florida, cannot make it without a six figure salary

 
 
Old 03-20-2007, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 23,828,567 times
Reputation: 4902

Advertisements

Don't waste your time here in Cuba. None of the people I knew from college who stayed in Miami have amounted to anything. Two of them still live with their PARENTS!!!!These are people with white collar jobs, middle management, etc. I have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and have never seen a good job in my field paying more than 50,000 a year. That won't go far at all in this hell hole. If you waste your time in Florida your chance of success is probably less than 1 percent. Better to go elsewhere, make your fortune and return when you're rich or sanity ( or a hurricane) returns to Florida. Don't waste your life like so many I know have.

 
Old 03-20-2007, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Missouri
6,047 posts, read 21,677,324 times
Reputation: 5053
I know what you mean. I could commute to NYC or Philly and probably make 10% - 30% more money, but commuting takes a lot of time and to me, it's just not worth it. You only live once and I don't intend on spending a large portion of my time sitting in traffic. My uncle commutes to NYC daily, he leaves before 6am and gets home just after 7pm. I don't think it's healthy.
 
Old 03-20-2007, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Vero Beach, Fl
2,949 posts, read 12,191,131 times
Reputation: 2076
Looks like NAH is going to get a lot of people all worked up again. I really don't mean to sound harsh - but some of you need a reality check.

1. NAF - did you finish college?
2. What are you doing about your job search? If you think you are going to make it with the sites you are developing, then you need to revisit the last decade of web development.
3. Whatever your situation, you should be grateful there are so many on this forum who want to see you succeed - so what are you doing about it? Starting, yet another thread, about how how life has done yuo wrong, the's no afforable housing, no good jobs, - please, it's enough.

There are no short cuts in life. You need to get up and out (wherever out is) and make the effort.
 
Old 03-20-2007, 06:26 PM
 
Location: WPB, FL. Dreaming of Oil city, PA
2,909 posts, read 12,999,753 times
Reputation: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Looks like NAH is going to get a lot of people all worked up again. I really don't mean to sound harsh - but some of you need a reality check.

1. NAF - did you finish college?
2. What are you doing about your job search? If you think you are going to make it with the sites you are developing, then you need to revisit the last decade of web development.
3. Whatever your situation, you should be grateful there are so many on this forum who want to see you succeed - so what are you doing about it? Starting, yet another thread, about how how life has done yuo wrong, the's no afforable housing, no good jobs, - please, it's enough.

There are no short cuts in life. You need to get up and out (wherever out is) and make the effort.

I see you also live in south FL. How is your job doing? Do you like living here? I dont. I know theres no shortcuts but Oil City has it easy because my hard earned money actually gets me a house. In south FL you cant get the house you deserve.
 
Old 03-20-2007, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Burlington, VT
483 posts, read 1,783,513 times
Reputation: 260
Jobs in unaffordable cities are great, but commuting there can be a waste of time. I grew up an hour away from Boston, in a town with affordable housing and no jobs. Without a car, I would have to commute to my job by train, which would take 2-1/2 hours each way. A monthly commuter rail pass is $250. When you factor in the commute, I would be making less than minimum wage.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 03-20-2007 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: grammar
 
Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 PM
 
Location: WPB, FL. Dreaming of Oil city, PA
2,909 posts, read 12,999,753 times
Reputation: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
Jobs in unaffordable cities are great, but commuting there can be a waste of time. I grew up an hour away from Boston. Housing is affordable, but there are no jobs. Without a car, I would have to commute to my job by train, which would take 2-1/2 hours each way. A monthly commuter rail pass is $250. When you factor in the commute, I would be making less than minimum wage.

Many people live some distance away from the main city because nothing is affordable there. An hour commute each way is not my idea of fun. Being self employed makes it so much easier. If I do find any temp part time job to supplament my income in Oil City, the commute is 3 minutes.
 
Old 03-20-2007, 07:37 PM
 
Location: PA
669 posts, read 2,947,337 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I see you also live in south FL. How is your job doing? Do you like living here? I dont. I know theres no shortcuts but Oil City has it easy because my hard earned money actually gets me a house. In south FL you cant get the house you deserve.
If Oil City is such utopia as you think, how come barely anyone lives there? Obviously it's not as great as you assume.

You avoided the person's comments and just bounced back to them. Not helping.
 
Old 03-20-2007, 08:00 PM
 
Location: The #1 sunshine state, Arizona.
12,172 posts, read 15,476,617 times
Reputation: 64033
NAH you currently live at home, thus the city you live in is affordable for you. While you live under your dad's roof, find a job outside the home. Bank your earnings and visit OC. You won't earn $8.00 an hour with a new website. I own several adult chat web sites and had to work a second job for at least a year. Most new endeavors take at least a 1 1/2 years before they see a profit. Sorry, your web site won't get you to Oil City.
 
Old 03-20-2007, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,930,880 times
Reputation: 3840
I find this question perplexing, NAH!

Until last year, I lived in NYC for ten consecutive years. Would you consider that an unaffordable town/city?

I would!

Would you?

But I worked and worked hard!

However, I did have a professional career and made considerably more than $8.00/hr.
 
Old 03-20-2007, 08:30 PM
 
Location: WPB, FL. Dreaming of Oil city, PA
2,909 posts, read 12,999,753 times
Reputation: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
NAH you currently live at home, thus the city you live in is affordable for you. While you live under your dad's roof, find a job outside the home. Bank your earnings and visit OC. You won't earn $8.00 an hour with a new website. I own several adult chat web sites and had to work a second job for at least a year. Most new endeavors take at least a 1 1/2 years before they see a profit. Sorry, your web site won't get you to Oil City.

Show me where I can get a job paying $100,000 a year in south Florida so I can afford a house. I thought so. Now show me where I can find a $20,000 a year($10/hour) job in Oil City. Much easier, I bet.

I am not going to get discouraged about my websites. I have several websites and the visitoilcity website is just practice for me and im already getting a few customers and will get more as I improve the site.

If it takes 1.5 years before im seeing good profit then I will just get a job in Oil City to supplament my income I make on my websites. I do not need to live under my dad's roof, I can afford Oil City with even a min. wage job($7.25/hour) plus the money my website makes. Will quit the job once im making good money with my websites.

Wont be able to do anything in south FL. Know friends that work two jobs and live three families to a house. Not the lifestyle I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top