U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving from Florida and finding employment in Oil City, cost of living too high in South Florida, cannot make it without a six figure salary

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:27 AM

23 posts, read 72,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar9 View Post
Maybe this is off topic, but are you bringing in any income now? How are you paying your A/C bills if you don't have a job?
My college age kids had jobs while going to college even when they lived at home. They are still attending college and have been very fortunate to have good paying jobs in their fields of interest. They pay their own bills and live on their own now. If they move back home or other of my children are home but done with school, I expect that they will get work of some kind and contribute to the housing costs, even if they are saving for a big opportunity elsewhere.

Boy is living in a twisted dreamworld.
Bet everyone feels sorry for him...
Boy will turn on you suckers like a snake

Don't but into his bull****

Old 03-29-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
I'll start by addressing this point. I was NOT being condescending to NAH. If you've read his posts you'd understand that most, if not all, those that respond to his posts believe he's not all there. I think he enjoys the attention and cultivates these responses deliberately. Why? Who knows...?

As for the rest of your contention regarding graduates being:

Total hogwash! The dirty little secret is the entitlement attitude that's permeated generations that believe they can walk on water, crap gold and tinkle oil...Excuse the language. The workplace is a market just like any other. Have an in-demand skill and you dictate the terms of employment, if you don't, you will take whatever the employer is willing to offer and like it. Nothing complicated about that.
Furthermore, even if you have a skill in demand, and the demand for it is in Podunk, TX or Boonies, IA, then you'd better be willing to move there to be compensated accordingly. No reason to whine in NY, CA, FL or TX about a lack of gainful employment in your field when opportunities are going begging elsewhere. That's how that H1-B visa mess began, in case you didn't know...

The only sound economic policy is to live within your means. I can't help but laugh at seeing people shell out $50 for a shirt or pair of pants. If the objective is to be clothed, I'm pretty sure you can get that done at a fraction of that amount. If what you want is the NAME emblazoned on the clothes to show the rest of the world you've arrived, enjoy the added expense. $5 for a cup of coffee? Excuse me as I laugh hysterically. I don't begrudge anyone the choices they make, I just think it's foolish to indulge so wantonly in WANTS rather than NEEDS. The same people whining about how out of control costs are, are the same ones making poor decisions on a daily basis and never want to be held accountable for them.
The same for education. Everyone makes a choice as to what they want to do with their life. With that decision comes a responsibility for success or failure in life, whatever your criteria maybe. Little Johnny or Susie wants to be a physical therapist or bus driver, fine, as long as they understand that there may not be a whole lot of demand.
It's become increasingly clear that kids are being raised with the expectation that the world owes them for getting an education, and if they don't get what they think they're worth, then it's the employers fault. Maybe time for a little self examination. Personal accountability and responsibility seems to be an alien concept nowadays.

My personal example is, I could move states and make 2-3 times what I do, but I have no interest in doing so. Lack of ambition? Nope, no desire to get involved in the rat race. I've found my niche for now and am content. I am under no illusion that this will be the case 5-10 years down the road. When that time comes, I will make an assessment and decide what next.

College graduate. what a fraud...Boy can't even spell College

Old 03-29-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
My dad thinks people jump on any job they can get so when I visit OC, there wont be any job openings left. If there are, what kind of job could I be looking at? Do they even care that I have an associate's college degree? My first job in south FL they did. Got $8 an hour instead of the FL min wage of $6.30(or something) but $8 an hour did me no good in south FL and I already spent that money on the crazy south FL a/c bills I really cant wait to move out. Very little a/c bills and heating bills of $100/month for a smaller 1000-1500 square feet house. Everything else is cheaper, even the food is.

I wouldnt consider NYC unless I was making at least $150k a year because id need that much just to afford a studio or smaller 1/1 condo. If I wanted a very nice high rise on the upper floors, id have to make over $200k a year then. If I wanted two bedrooms instead of one, oh my im getting dizzy now!
Sorry but I am not willing to live in NJ or PA and commute 2 hours a day, I would rather just buy a small condo and take the subway 5 minutes to work. Its easier for me to deal with small spaces than wasting 4 hours of my life everyday.

Oil City is beautiful, please look at Cosmic's pictures. Ill be taking pictures myself when I visit.
how would YOU earn 150 per year? For complaining and agravating people?
Who is been lying to you...
I fell off my chair.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:15 AM

5 posts, read 13,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryDriver View Post
how would YOU earn 150 per year? For complaining and agravating people?
Who is been lying to you...
I fell off my chair.
Okay, now I get it...I noticed that all of your posts...every one of them actually have been rude and obnoxious. Wow, you are really a jerk.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,156,273 times
That is why we are moving to a very affordable, growing part of the country, where you can get a nice home, good schools and have low crime too, tired of paying too much to live in a overrated tourist trap town. Not worth it and the crime is not well controlled as most think either, its pretty bad infact.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Yac

5,924 posts, read 6,541,966 times
This thread is 90% trolling. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or