U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving from Florida and finding employment in Oil City, cost of living too high in South Florida, cannot make it without a six figure salary

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,997,093 times

Advertisements

Do any of you feel that jobs in unaffordable cities are a waste of time? I feel that way in south Florida, everything is so expensive that money doesnt go a long way. I know people have told me to get a job and ive had an $8/hour job before that I hated. I am seriously considering getting a job in Oil City. Even at $8/hour goes a long way in Oil City because houses are a sixth the price of south Florida and everything else is like half as expensive.

I can not "make" it in south Florida without a 6 figure job and I do not want to stay here any longer than I need to. I make money with my home business and me getting a job in Oil City(if I find one) will supplament my home business income so I can live a nice middle class life there without having to be rich or making 6 figures.

Do any of you feel the same way, that you are "drowning" in your city with the high costs of living and insane house prices and that making the same money or even taking a salary cut would go so much further elsewhere? This is why I want nothing to do with south FL.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:30 PM

802 posts, read 2,611,580 times
NAH, my parents had a saying, "You came alone, you leave alone, what you do in between those events is all that matters". For a long time, I had no idea what that meant but eventually came to the realization that what they meant was, in life YOU make YOUR own way.
You're a fascinating study in human nature. You live in the world's most mobile society, with resources unimaginable to most, yet you're constantly complaining about EVERYTHING! What is it that's stopping YOU from doing whatever YOU want with YOUR life? Do you really need permission or is the constant affirmation you seek a sign of a troubled mind?
Seriously, seek help, and I mean that sincerely! Nothing personal or belittling about the suggestion. I'm not trying to pass judgement on you, I know nothing about you beyond what I read, but you're disturbing.
Most people make a conscious decision on what to do with their life. Those that don't are forced into them one way or another. If you can't live on $8/Hr or 800/Hr...Work more/harder, improve your skills and your lot in life will follow. There's nothing stopping YOU from achieving YOUR dream(s) except for YOUR own limitations.
Is it easy? No. Will it take the blink of an eye to achieve as you seem to think? No. Is it POSSIBLE? YES!
Do something constructive with your time instead of whining about what is not possible.

Oh, another thing they were fond of saying...

"Reach for the stars and you sure won't come up with mud".

I'll leave that to your imagination to decipher...

Old 03-20-2007, 01:07 PM

669 posts, read 2,946,686 times
Uh, so if the city is unaffordable, we should make ourselves poorer by not having jobs?

And DUH -- in cheaper cities, THE PAY SCALE IS MUCH LOWER. I'd doubt you'd find a job in Oil City anyway, an $8/hour would be pretty darn good. Remember, hardly anyone lives there.

The major point: If it had good jobs, people would make money, demand there be more to do (so construction would boom, housing prices go up, etc).

Old 03-20-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Uh, so if the city is unaffordable, we should make ourselves poorer by not having jobs?

And DUH -- in cheaper cities, THE PAY SCALE IS MUCH LOWER. I'd doubt you'd find a job in Oil City anyway, an $8/hour would be pretty darn good. Remember, hardly anyone lives there.

The major point: If it had good jobs, people would make money, demand there be more to do (so construction would boom, housing prices go up, etc).

You did not read what I said. Get the job but elsewhere. Federal min wage is now $7.25 so ill get at least that and probably more like $8-10 in Oil City since I have a college degree. The same job in south Florida would get me $12-15 an hour. I would need to make 3 times more in south FL to live the same lifestyle of Oil City. $15 an hour south FL and I would be living 3 families to a shack, but $10 in Oil City and thats enough for a nice 4 bedroom house.

I know lots of people fleeing California and taking a 50% reduction in their salary and they dont care because houses are 5 times cheaper and the costs of living less than half as much. Their salary, even at half of CA gets them so much more.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:38 PM

NAH, serious question, you're a college graduate, don't you think you're selling yourself just a little short expecting to make 75 cents- $2.75 above the minimum wage? When someone is making 250K and decides to take a 50% pay cut it's not quite the same as you starting off @ 8/Hr.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
NAH, serious question, you're a college graduate, don't you think you're selling yourself just a little short expecting to make 75 cents- $2.75 above the minimum wage?

Thats Florida for you. Jobs pay very poorly in this "right to work" state. No company wants to pay me more than about $10 an hour in Florida and they dont care because others are willing to work for that. This is why I am self employed and will be making alot more than that. The only reason ill consider a temp summer job in Oil City is so I can relocate sooner instead of having to endure another miserable FL summer while saving up money.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
No company wants to pay me more than about $10 an hour in Florida and they dont care because others are willing to work for that
So what you're saying is even with your college education, you do not have a skill set that is worth more than about $10/Hr where you are? How is that an employers fault?

Old 03-20-2007, 02:01 PM

673 posts, read 3,755,051 times
I dont see why people who arent upper-end white-collar or very rich even live in California or Florida. I mean seriously who are they fooling with their 50,000 a year household incomes trying to buy a house for 300,000 dollars. They are just going to probubly end up paying a mortgage for far more then that house is worth anyway.

Alot of people live under an illusion that by the time they are 30 they are going to be rich so that they get in over their head.

A good example out of many is this. Miami has a median household income of 25,211 and a Median Housing Value of 248,500 according to the census. That means an average household in Miami would have to pay 9.8 years at their entire income to pay off the house.

Erie, PA has a median household income of 31,376 (which is 6,000 dollars high then per year then Miami) but the Median Housing value is 73,400 dollars (thats 175,100) less then Miami if they bought a median valued house in Erie.
In Erie it would take 2.4 years of their entire household income to pay of a house!

2.4 years of median Median Household income to pay for a median valued house in Erie and 9.8 years in Miami.

Last edited by MattDen; 03-20-2007 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-20-2007, 02:06 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,471,076 times
A college education does not always grant you a job. Learn skills to fit the job market. You can start in an entry level position and be promoted to a higher paying job. The bottom line is, you have to start working to earn money. You are a young able-bodied man, get out there and seize the day. Just think, for every job you don't take, someone else will be earning money that should have been in your pocket. Don't let time tick away. Act now!

Old 03-20-2007, 02:18 PM

3,161 posts, read 8,102,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
A college education does not always grant you a job. Learn skills to fit the job market. You can start in an entry level position and be promoted to a higher paying job. The bottom line is, you have to start working to earn money. You are a young able-bodied man, get out there and seize the day. Just think, for every job you don't take, someone else will be earning money that should have been in your pocket. Don't let time tick away. Act now!

Absolutely. Rarely do people go straight from college to a high paying job. Most people (myself included) had to work an entry level job for not so great pay. You get some experience under your belt then you can move up professionally and in regards to income. Not that a college graduate is guarenteed a decent income, but no one with a degree should be setting their sights on working for minimum wage as a greeter at Walmart. Unless that is what you really want to do and the income will support you, of course.

NAH, you don't have a job and you are out of college? What are you doing with yourself? It isn't exactly a good sign to an employer to see a huge gap on a resume between college graduation and trying to find your first "real" job. Get out there and get your feet wet. That's how you move up in the world and are able to afford yourself that house in Florida, or if you are living with your parents bank that money for a nice down payment in the OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or