Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:16 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,391,021 times

Advertisements

Chicago is a struggling rust belt city? ....

Old 03-01-2009, 08:26 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,756,441 times
Chicago is "hard hit"? Try Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis.

Maybe Chicago is struggling, but please.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,664,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Will these already hard-hit rustbelt cities survive? They've been losing population (especially Chicago) already for a long time. I predict a mass migration to better economic pastures.
Silly you! Don't you realize that it's a violation of forum rules to post anything even remotely negative about Chicagoland!!! roflmao jk. But yeah, it ain't Hong Kong, but I don't see Chicago suffering from a mass exodus any time soon.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,173,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I'm not sure why you threw in Columbus.
He threw in C-bus because he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 AM

970 posts, read 2,939,661 times
Um...we're not in a depression.....

Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,654,919 times
Quote:
What will this economic depression do to already struggling cities like Columbus, Chicago, Youngstown, etc?
Will these already hard-hit rustbelt cities survive? They've been losing population (especially Chicago) already for a long time. I predict a mass migration to better economic pastures.
Again Chicago was in the "rust belt" region but a city that was gaining population and has had a growing economic forecast.

Columbus never was a major manufacturing or blue collar city and grew as a white collar town into a city. Columbus and Chicago both have decent job markets and economies and Columbus' growth patterns resemble a sunbelt city with a older central city.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:52 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Columbus' growth patterns resemble a sunbelt city with a older central city.
Two questions:

1. How do growth patterns of Columbus "resemble a sunbelt city"? I'll go ahead and point out that sunbelt cities do not have a specific uniform growth pattern - each sunbelt city grows (or doesn't grow) at a unique pace and in various patterns.

2. Columbus has an "older central city" than...what sunbelt city? This statement would be false if Columbus is compared to some sunbelt cities, and true if compared to others.

Downtown Columbus is not older than...Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas, Memphis, Nashville, Houston, Louisville, or Richmond. All of these cities have had comparable populations to Columbus from at least the mid-1800s on, and each city had eclipsed 100,000 residents by 1900. I'm somewhat familiar with the downtown historic areas of Memphis, New Orleans, Nashville, Louisville, and Richmond...each has a nice downtown core of historic buildings and highrises at least comparable to the downtown core of Columbus. I'm more familiar with Atlanta's historic central core of buildings...the oldest highrise is from 1897 and there are about 40 others all around it built between 1900-1930. Then there are the low and midrise buildings dating from 1869 and newer.

Miami, Tampa, and Charlotte grew and developed into larger cities with solid downtowns about 20-30 years behind the rest.

It seems like many forumers mistakenly think that all southern cities were very small until 1970...but the majority of the large cities have been relatively large for 150-200 years.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,763,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Say what? Did you just pick some random cities without knowing details?

And where would there be better economic pastures??? There is no where in the country that is adding jobs that could support even a minor migration. If you don't have a job, it is best not to move wherever you are (unless you have nothing to lose already).

Old 03-04-2009, 03:00 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,654,919 times
Quote:
2. Columbus has an "older central city" than...what sunbelt city? This statement would be false if Columbus is compared to some sunbelt cities, and true if compared to others.
Columbus' central city means the surrounding neighborhoods. Columbus does have a central city, 60 sq miles, that is from the 1800s and the victorian era. The neighborhoods have brick streets, large mansions, brick apartment buildings, etc.

It is true that sunbelt cities, some, have older downtowns but many do not have the northern classic development styles that 60 sq miles of central columbus does.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:19 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Columbus' central city means the surrounding neighborhoods. Columbus does have a central city, 60 sq miles, that is from the 1800s and the victorian era. The neighborhoods have brick streets, large mansions, brick apartment buildings, etc.

It is true that sunbelt cities, some, have older downtowns but many do not have the northern classic development styles that 60 sq miles of central columbus does.
Any southern city that developed around the same time as Columbus would have a similar development style. I guess that was my point...Columbus didn't evolve before those cities I listed previously.

I can't talk specifics about other cities, but Atlanta is just as historic as Columbus - the two cities grew at about the same time. There are several Atlanta neighborhoods that began as streetcar suburbs in the 1800s where most of the houses have been restored. There are brick streets in some places, Victorian mansions in others, and gobs of brick apartment buildings all over the city. I don't know a lot about the history of Columbus except what I've read, but it doesn't date back to a time before the existence of most southern cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.