Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times

Advertisements

-Boston and DC are the bookends of the corridor. NYC is the center. I guess things go better in threes rather than fours.
-Also, when I drive from Boston to DC, I use the NJ turnpike and that skips Philly entirely. It's almost like Philly isn't even there. I think that there is like one sign that mentions it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
As much as I am a proponent of Philly, playing the "snub" card comes off as a bit too pessimistic. While the city does seem to be overshadowed at times by economic and political behemoths to the North and South, that hardly means that Philadelphia doesn't hold its own when it comes to attention or relevance. In fact, I think it's arguable that Philadelphia has been able to revitalize itself in large part because -- not in spite -- of investment from tons of transplanted New Yorkers looking for a cheaper cost-of-living without compromising too much of the urban experience. I believe that trend will only continue in the years to come.

Not to worry, Philly is and always will be an extremely important American city.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:21 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
-Boston and DC are the bookends of the corridor. NYC is the center. I guess things go better in threes rather than fours.
-Also, when I drive from Boston to DC, I use the NJ turnpike and that skips Philly entirely. It's almost like Philly isn't even there. I think that there is like one sign that mentions it.
Interesting comment. This issue came up prior to the 2000 Republican National Convention, when city and state leaders requested that the NJ DOT put a few more signs up indicating directions to Philadelphia. NJ's response was something like "we feel that Philadelphia is already mentioned adequately."

Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Interesting comment. This issue came up prior to the 2000 Republican National Convention, when city and state leaders requested that the NJ DOT put a few more signs up indicating directions to Philadelphia. NJ's response was something like "we feel that Philadelphia is already mentioned adequately."
It's really strange.
I think the only sign you see is where 95 breaks off to go through Philadelphia.
From the turnpike -which is the highway most people use- you would never know that a major American city is a mere 5 miles away.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,049 times
Maybe, but anyone who has ever been to Philly knows that it is no small potatoes. Like I said before NYC is the only city that is even remotely on Philly's radar. I don't know how Wash DC overshadows Philly besides economic clout.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Maybe, but anyone who has ever been to Philly knows that it is no small potatoes. Like I said before NYC is the only city that is even remotely on Philly's radar. I don't know how Wash DC overshadows Philly besides economic clout.
DC overshadows b/c it's the nation's capital.

I think about 80% of the "Philadelphia isn't important" rhetoric that you hear is by Philadelphians themselves.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
i know... i love philly.... I always think of it first before DC....

Old 03-03-2009, 02:10 PM

19 posts, read 38,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The Weather Channel frequently mentions Philadelphia in its discussion about the day's weather.
Did you watch the coverage of the "mega storm"?

They were all going "The storm will impact DC New York Boston and beyond" " From DC to New York to Boston" "Boston-New York-DC Corridor"

It's weird. It's like they're telling everyone "Philadelphia is more like Baltimore Hartford or Providence" in there own special way by not mentioning Philadelphia as the main corridor cities.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:15 PM

19 posts, read 38,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
NYC will get frequent mention in the media because of being the country's largest city, as will Washington due to being the nation's capital. As for weather reports, even when they do fail to mention Philly, it's probably because they're just giving an overview. They'll divide the Northeast Corridor into northern, middle, and southern sections, and use the biggest city in each of those sections as an example of the weather in each section: New England, the Mid-Atlantic, and the north-south border region. So, you get frequent mention of Boston, NYC, and D.C. as the representative cities in the three parts of the Corridor. If Philly were bigger than NYC, then Philly would be the example used for the middle of the Corridor. Simple as that. No knock on Philly intended, I'm sure.
Then that hits the nail right on the head. That totally means Philadelphia is like Baltimore, Hartford or Providence instead of DC, New York, Boston or Atlanta. Philadelphia went from a major city to a big town.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:01 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Is the Philadelphia the national or even regional center of or for anything these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.