Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 41,533,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthefaith View Post
I'm curious. What are the reasons?
Plates with counties on them, Dixie Hwy, Folks talking with a Southern accent, good Southern cooking, Hardee's.

Are these enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 05:36 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,005,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Plates with counties on them, Dixie Hwy, Folks talking with a Southern accent, good Southern cooking, Hardee's.

Are these enough?
Are there not plates with counties other places?

Old 03-03-2009, 05:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Eh, Hardee's is not a southern thing, counties on license plates can be found as far north as Ohio and Iowa, and there's a Dixie Highway here in Chicago. So those hardly strike me as firm indicators of southern-ness.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:48 PM

208 posts, read 603,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I think Trimac20 is speaking of WV in general, not just the northern edges.
The lower green line is the upper edge of southern dialect, which also shows why you get southern accents in Louisville but generally not the upper parts of WV. Here's the link of the U of PA website.
Phonological Atlas of North America

That seems fairly accurate.

I travel to WVa on a regular basis and it seems like the further south you get from Clarksburg, the southern Appalachian accent picks up somewhat. The accent is in full force areas south of Charleston. I have family in southwestern Virginia and extreme northeastern Tennessee and the accent is similiar to those areas. A few differences (like the term "pop" is used more in WV) but still similar.

With these ears, the areas of Clarksburg, Morgantown, Waynesburg, PA and Uniontown, PA sound very similiar, which is a more northern Appalachian sound. Washington, PA and northward the accent sounds different, but the Appalachian elements are still there.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 41,533,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Are there not plates with counties other places?
Yeah, but they are in Southern states. Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Florida. Adding to the theory that Kentucky is considered Southern for a lot of reasons.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:02 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,005,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Yeah, but they are in Southern states. Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Florida. Adding to the theory that Kentucky is considered Southern for a lot of reasons.
Oh, ok! I have never paid attention but now that you mention it, I have noticed that Indiana plates don't have the county and neither do Illinois.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 PM

367 posts, read 1,020,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I disagree. I have been out there too. Virginia is just as Southern as Kentucky ,if not more. Also KY wasnt even in the Confederacy. Why they get to be South and we dont is beyond me.
oh my. how many ways do you need this question answered? kentucky is not a mid-atlantic state because it is NOT in THAT region. It has to do with REGIONS. viginia is as southern as kentucky is and an ocean has NOTHING to do with whether a state qualifies to be southern. How old are you? Go take some courses.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I disagree. I have been out there too. Virginia is just as Southern as Kentucky ,if not more. Also KY wasnt even in the Confederacy. Why they get to be South and we dont is beyond me.
OK, I'll spill the beans on why KY is considered Southern and VA is Mid-Atlantic.

Just to tick you off Richmonder. No other reason really, just the Yankee Politicians got together and gazed into their crystal ball (Which they stole during the Civil War from a small plantation someplace in Va) and it reviled to them your intense obsession with all things Southern. they then decided when they were drawing up the different regions of the US to include VA into the mid-Atlantic region just to get your goat many years later when you were finally born and old enough to get on the internet.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:07 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,341,309 times
Kentucky doesn't border the Atlantic Ocean...it is far too inland. That simple. And Virginia is usually not considered Mid-Atlantic. Culturally it does not fit with most of Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:26 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,230,735 times
I think you have to look at maps like you look at food products or unsolicited phone calls trying to sell you things. People, governments, businesses and schools make maps for a lot of reasons, and once these maps are released they may not be used by other people with full understanding of their original content or purpose. And some maps are totally fictitious. There is a "Sweet Tea" map for Virginia that you can find on Strange Maps which the author admitted he had made up entirely. The Mid-Atlantic map used to be much further north than current maps. The reason for moving it south to include Virginia, and West Virginia, and sometimes North Carolina, I have no idea. The trouble is that we tend to accept things like this as authoritative when there is no real reasoning behind it, and no explanation for it. As an adult, "Because I say so!" no longer has any authority with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.