Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times

Advertisements

America’s Unhappiest Cities: The other kind of depression - BusinessWeek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:45 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Interesting.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:49 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
That article is about as credible as that BS forbes article.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:12 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
That article is about as credible as that BS forbes article.
It's amazing how data can be twisted. While there is some credibility to the information in most of these articles (and the ones in Forbes, MSN, etc), it's minimal. What's worse is that they paint a picture for the simple minded that each of these cities is a sad place where everyone is depressed.

I, for one, HATE these articles (and no, my city wasn't mentioned). I detest the positive ones and I despise the negative ones. They paint stereotypes that are often untrue. In the instance of positive ones, they often make people think certain cities are just "oozing" with money and every resident has a luxury car and 30 room home; or they make certain cities look like places where everyone who steps within the city limits is handed a job or girlfriend, or whatever useless data they're using to write a "best of" or "top ten most ____ cities", etc. article. In the negative ones, they make people fear or dislike a place based on one little piece of information... This crap should be used for entertainment purposes only, not interpreted as fact.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times
I looked at it with a jaundiced eye. I lived in the Minneapolis area and thought it was a pretty good place to live. And Indianapolis was alright. The only one I'd agree with that I have lived in is Kansas City. Not happy here at all.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,791 times
Where I'm living now has never been a happy place for most people, Sullivan County made the headlines recently for being the 7th worst place to live in the US although I guess it wasn't on the list because the county has no large city. Bankruptcy filings were up last month 1050% and houses are burning daily. One cool thing about living here is you can always count on no crowds when doing anything fun because of how poor everyone is. We went out to the movies last Saturday night and it was just us and 5 other people in the theater and you don't have to show up early to fly out of our airport because its always vacant. They are actually closing a few of the Goodwill stores and Haven Of Rest stores because the people can't afford one or two dollars for a pair of pants or a shirt, the women they interviewed that works at one of the Goodwill stores that will be closing said that their store always looks busy but that the people that come there are mostly lookers...lol.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,952 times
Kinda surprised to see Jacksonville on this list. And I like how they use number of cloudy days to determine how depressing a city is. That doesn't really seem like a legit way calculate depression.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:21 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times
I wish these groups would stop hiring third graders to put these lists together.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Kinda surprised to see Jacksonville on this list. And I like how they use number of cloudy days to determine how depressing a city is. That doesn't really seem like a legit way calculate depression.
actually i think its a valid way. Weather can have a lot to do with one's emotions, depending on the person of course

Old 03-04-2009, 01:39 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
actually i think its a valid way. Weather can have a lot to do with one's emotions, depending on the person of course
Well sure, on an individual basis it could work, but to base the entire city's depression levels on weather seems a bit silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.