Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:00 PM

51 posts, read 335,592 times

Advertisements

Knoxville definitely has cheap housing. But I think I can afford a rent in VA. I have approx 400K to spend on housing...The only sad thing is I cant buy a closet in San Francisco with that and thats where I want to live the most
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2006, 09:03 PM

165 posts, read 926,271 times
Smile 400k for housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyopapa
Knoxville definitely has cheap housing. But I think I can afford a rent in VA. I have approx 400K to spend on housing...The only sad thing is I cant buy a closet in San Francisco with that and thats where I want to live the most
You can either rent or put one hell of a down payment on a single family home and finance the rest. It's whatever fits your lifestyle the best that matters, for me I think after a period of renting all 400k would be gone and I wouldn't have any equity to show for it for my next move.

Perhaps you can aquire a home in VA or MD, live there for a while and use the selling price of that home to get you to San Fran like you desire? Just a thought.

John

Old 07-12-2006, 03:49 PM

46 posts, read 259,347 times
I've lived in both Madison & Mpls. Both have a LOT to offer. Both have universities and arts. Both have snow and lakes. Madison is more liberal and smaller. IMHO Mpls is just getting too big.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:03 AM

460 posts, read 1,140,143 times
Glad I am not the only one that feels this way. Moved to a Knoxville burg 3.5 years ago and currently looking for a good place to move my family. I am not even what I would consider "liberal" but I do not go to church and value education. The people have, for the most part, been ruder than I had anticipated and forget about trying to get anything done. For so many Chrisitians where is the work ethic?

Old 07-24-2006, 04:29 PM

51 posts, read 335,592 times
You actually have a job!? Do you pay tithing? The good Lord only has so much mercy, and I'll be darned if you think having a job and driving one of them fancy cars compares to the richest he has in store for you. go to work, forget about God. But don't think I'm not telling the whole town about it. You'll be the bane of society around here, believe you me.

In other words, I know exactly what you're talking about. LOL

Old 07-26-2006, 05:07 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Quote:
I plan to leave Tennessee sometime within the next few months due to cultural inactivity, a virtually nonexistent liberal population, and lack of any progressive future.

I have narrowed my search down to five cities/towns in the United States. My priorities are as follows: Progressive Outlook, Education, Medium-to-High Liberal Population, Plenty of Rainy/Cloudy Days, Somewhat Populous, and Good Shopping/Entertainment/Dining Options.

I have selected five cities that I am strongly considering, but I need some more insight before I just leap into a new city perhaps thousands of miles away from where I am currently located. My decision will be made from any of these following five cities:

Cary, North Carolina
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Madison, Wisconsin
Greater DC Area, Virginia
Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota

Any help with my decision would be greatly appreciated as I hope to move very soon.
I have heard great things about Madison, Wisconsin from many people. It's a liberal, college town with a great vibe, friendly people and many things to do. And I believe it's still an affordable place to buy a home.

The only reason I personally wouldn't relocate there is because of the weather (they have snowy winters and I've had enough of those). If that's not a problem for you then that would be a place to seriously look into.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by ITChick; 07-26-2006 at 05:16 PM..

Old 08-06-2006, 01:10 AM

571 posts, read 2,530,037 times
I'd vote for Madison. Very liberal, progressive and pretty place with lots to do. Much more affordable than SF. The winters will be colder than you're used to, but not as harsh/long as the Twin Cities area. Plus you're not too terribly far from Milwaukee and Chicago if you need a "big city" getaway.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:22 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Healdsburg or Guerneville, CA seem right up your alley and not too far from SF if you wanted to frequent there from time to time.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:02 PM

45 posts, read 247,924 times
Madison is a very nice city that has a lot of development. I cant speak dining wise but for shopping and entertainment you wont be dissapointed. Plus Milwaukee isnt that far.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:08 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
I plan to leave Tennessee sometime within the next few months due to cultural inactivity, a virtually nonexistent liberal population, and lack of any progressive future.

I have narrowed my search down to five cities/towns in the United States. My priorities are as follows: Progressive Outlook, Education, Medium-to-High Liberal Population, Plenty of Rainy/Cloudy Days, Somewhat Populous, and Good Shopping/Entertainment/Dining Options.

I have selected five cities that I am strongly considering, but I need some more insight before I just leap into a new city perhaps thousands of miles away from where I am currently located. My decision will be made from any of these following five cities:

Cary, North Carolina
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Madison, Wisconsin
Greater DC Area, Virginia
Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota

Any help with my decision would be greatly appreciated as I hope to move very soon.

Dont do DC way to much crime, HIGH costs!! lived there I know and dont do Cary NC live there now, we are leaving, high cost, humid, city tells you what to do!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.